1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General The Truth About Your Battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Easilyamused, Sep 17, 2012.

1. anonuk

anonuk Lurker

Wow I could only dream of that battery life!

Advertisement

2. Also having a problem of my battery life span... quite so short any suggestion on how to make my GS3 have a long battery life.

3. pinu12345

pinu12345 Lurker

i had galaxy s3 for two months with ICS firmware. and i loved it. now i updated to jelly bean and with no additional apps. the same settings, battery is draining at twice rate.
    do u know anything about it

4. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

Check the GOOGLE NOW settings,this is something that wasn't on ICS.
    If adjustments to GOOGLE NOW don't make much of a difference,then the two things to do to isolate your battery drain would be to perform a factory reset & one by one add your applications back,until you find a culprit,or boot into safe mode & open up your apps one at a time to find the cause.

If you choose to perform a factory reset,this in of itself may solve the problem w/o any further action.

dportal2006 and pinu12345 like this.
  5. pinu12345

pinu12345 Lurker

i will try that probably in couple of days.
    does anyone else having this issue?
    i also liked the MOBILE DATA on/off option which was available on the scroll down notification bar.
    is there anyway we can go back to ICS?
    thanks

6. trale

trale Member

Just bumping this awesome thread, because I was searching for information battery life issues and related apps like Juice Defender, and this has helped so much.

This thread should really be stickied.

7. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Theres actualy a link to this in the sticky "excuse me........." :thumbup:
    Youre right man, its a really valuable thread :)

8. jessOTR

jessOTR Newbie

Okay, I may have to wait another discharge cycle, and test overnight, but I wanted to see if anything stood out to anyone here. I have an ATT S3, unrooted, using ADW Launcher. Until this weekend, I was getting through a full day without having to charge at all, and a couple of months ago, I was going to bed with 40% battery left after normal use. Today, my phone died completely at around 3:35PM after coming off the charger at 8am. I was at work, so I used it for a few texts, a few email checks, and a few rejected calls, and checking my clock a few times an hour. No surfing. No streaming of any kind.

Here are my screen shots (I'm plugged in, so my list isn't current, but it always shows "app usage" at the main process using battery).

Edit: woops! I meant to attach signal vs. signal, not temp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought that list was crazy long, but none of it means anything to me.

9. funkylogik

I think the kernal seems fine mate tbh. On GSam, what apps have been using most energy and what are your wakelocks like?
    And can you post a pic of the second battery graph in the stock battery monitor?

10. jessOTR

jessOTR Newbie

I'll have to look again in a little bit. I just took it off the charger.

Second graph? This is the only one I know about.
    [​IMG]

Wakelocks
    [​IMG]

If I do "num times waking device" I get Android system with 90 wakelocks, with this as the breakdown:
    [​IMG]

I seem to remember "maps" at the top of the list for battery usage, now that I think about that.

11. funkylogik

Just by looking at that graph, the phone is awake a LOT while the screen is off so somethings using juice when it shouldnt.
    I cant see anything from the GSam pics but hopefuly someone who knows more about this stuff can tell you what else to show us to work out whats causing it. I know Maps is known to use GPS and data in the background if its set up wrong so it maybe is that :thumbup:
    Do you remember if there was high GPS use on the main gsam screen?
    EDIT i just looked at that graph again and when the big drop in battery happens, the amount of wakelocks is around the same as before it so i take back what i just said lol. Hmm :thinking:

jessOTR likes this.
  12. jessOTR

jessOTR Newbie

Pretty sure I turned GPS off completely sometime yesterday or Sunday, after I got in from out of town. I don't generally turn on GPS unless I need it for something specific.

Thanks a lot for your help! I played with Maps settings but didn't really know what I was looking at. I've always used Maps, but maybe an update changed something.

funkylogik likes this.
  13. funkylogik

Yeah same.
    Sorry i just edited my last post after lookin at the graph again mate

14. gregg1100

gregg1100 Android Enthusiast

According to GSam, something called SYSTEM mediaserver is always up over 47%- seen it as high as 72%. What is mediaserver, where is it on the phone and what can I do about it, please??
    Reading the above comments, I have turned ON power saving, turned off facebook notifications.
    Just as a note, when I did a factory reset recently, battery life was brilliant- took ages to drop down compared to what it was, UNTIL I put my SD card back in(because it was acting up, I removed it again).Now battery life is as it was before reset, so will reset it again shortly.

funkylogik likes this.
  15. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

The mediaserver is a service, called by apps - like music players or web browsers.

If the mediaserver seems to be running away, it's an app trying to deliver media that's causing it.

funkylogik and barney_rebel like this.
  16. funkylogik

Yeah ive had a problem with mediaserver befor and i cant remember what app it was that caused it now but it wasnt an obvious one.
    whats best way to narrow it down Earlymon?

17. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

The best way is the most painful and few have the time or inclination to chase it - the infamous factory data reset.

That erases your apps and data sure, but it also clears out the operating system caches.

Run the phone a bit naked, just with your gmail account set up and contacts added in to ensure that the device isn't babbling to the mediaserver on its own. It's rare, but it's possible to get bloatware misbehaving so check that.

Then, add Facebook, g+ and Twitter if you use it, check again.

Then your productivity and utility apps, check again.

Then the goodies, add as few at a time as possible - browsers, media players and other enhancements - note and camera apps.

You can back up a non-rooted phone fairly well with a combination of Carbon backup and SMS Backup+.

If that's too painful or inconvenient, work backwards.

Start by removing widgets from your homescreens then back down through the list.

And think broadly about media when hunting - news, photos, videos, music and live wallpaper are all media. Even contact photos or notes apps that can get to the mic or camera - all touch media.

Remember to back up your internal storage / sd card and to verify that your contacts are safe either on the web or with a local backup, whichever applies to you.

ScandaLeX, Pookeysgirl and funkylogik like this.
  18. funkylogik

Excelent info. I think most phones benefit from a good old reset once in a while. I do get that its a major PITA though :)

19. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Yep. Android works off of caches, just like your browser. And just like when it gets tangled and runs a lot smoother when you clear that out, so does Android.

Unfortunately for us, the mega-geniuses at Google and the phone makers won't let you get to the cache-clearing functions (that lose no data and do no harm at all) unless you're rooted and install a recovery that lets you get to that function.

For the rest of us, the only way is the factory data reset.

On the bright side - this way forces you into a good backup plan.

Phones aren't permanent, and we've all been there - oh no, I dropped it, I lost it, I gave it a bath, someone copped it, it died, etc etc - so a backup just makes sense.

With practice, you can get in and out of a factory data reset pretty quickly.

Otherwise - investigate to see if root is for you.

ScandaLeX and funkylogik like this.
  20. funkylogik

Dont US phones let you clear cache partition without root mate?
    i cleared it in my mums unrooted Galaxy Ace in stock recovery last week and it did it a world of good.
    Bit off topic but speaking of backups... will a nandroid backup work on another phone? (Same model obviously)

21. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Android = embedded Linux OS + Dalvik Virtual Machine + apps that (run in the Dalvik) and (call on Linux services)

There are two cache areas we care about - /cache and the Dalvik cache, often located at /data/dalvik-cache.

Many phones will let you get to a low level and "clear cache" - that's usually the /cache partition.

Clearing one without the other is like washing your feet and putting on dirty socks - ok to a point but it's just wrong because you're rolling the dice as to whether you'll hit the cache where the problems might be. In the case of your mum's phone, you had a 50/50 chance of it sorting out and you scored - bonus on that! :)

A nandroid backup (made by rooters) is transportable so long as it's to exactly the same model, same carrier and contains only the /boot, /system and /data partitions (the default nandroid). Four years ago, people used to share nandroids here rather the more sophisticated (and proper) rom flashes that are so popular today.

~~~~~~~~~

Because tangled caches can lead to misbehaving apps and because misbehaving apps can suck power, this is really all on topic.

ScandaLeX and funkylogik like this.
  22. funkylogik

Nice one man well explained :)
    so whats the real difference between the two caches? Ive noticed when i clear Dalvik the phone takes ages to boot while "optimising" apps?

EarlyMon likes this.
  23. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Here's the actual definition from Glossary | DD Systems & Dbase Developments -

funkylogik and Pookeysgirl like this.
  24. jessOTR

jessOTR Newbie

So, charged phone yesterday and went to bed around 10pm with 100% battery and left it off the charger. I woke up this morning and at around 8am, still had 92% battery left. It's 4:45PM, I've not charged since last night, and I still have 67% battery left! The only real thing that I think I did was change some settings in Google Maps. I think it kept waking the phone to try to locate.

So much prettier than yesterday!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EarlyMon and funkylogik like this.
  25. funkylogik

Nice one :thumbup:
    Something is still waking the phone regularly, probably something like facebook syncing but yeah thats much better. Glad you found the problem so easily :)

EarlyMon likes this.