• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Truth About Your Battery

For those that has checked the restrict background data feature I have a question for you.

When you do that my understanding is that it restricts data from running in the background however it will use data when you open the actual app.

But when I have restrict background data on I can't use some apps like YouTube and plex for media streaming. So is there a way have restrict background data on and still get some of those apps working?

Thanks
I just tried Youtube and it worked fine with restricted background data. Did you sign into Youtube before trying to watch a video?

Upvote 0
nope, I guess I will try signing in first and then restricting background data.

Doesnt solve my other problem with Plex though.
Using Plex, it will connect to my server and I am able to navigate through all my movies and tv shows but then when I finally click on one it takes forever to load then eventually gives me an error about media playback

Update:

So I just tried it and it works if I am on wifi but when Im back on LTE it doesn't load. Youtube that is. I tried signing in first then turning on the restrict background data and still doesnt load on LTE. but Wifi its fine

Upvote 0
nope, I guess I will try signing in first and then restricting background data.

Doesnt solve my other problem with Plex though.
Using Plex, it will connect to my server and I am able to navigate through all my movies and tv shows but then when I finally click on one it takes forever to load then eventually gives me an error about media playback

Update:

So I just tried it and it works if I am on wifi but when Im back on LTE it doesn't load. Youtube that is. I tried signing in first then turning on the restrict background data and still doesnt load on LTE. but Wifi its fine

Sorry I didn't mention I use WiFI only at home.

Upvote 0
Yeah I only use the wifi at home too. I just figured the way the restricting background data feature worked is it wont let any apps fetch any data until you open the actual app. So once I opened youtube I figured it would be fine but still no go. I guess I can restrict all the apps manually but that seems like a pain lol

Upvote 0
DISABLE:

-Samsung Apps
-Samsung Backup
-Samsung Backup Provider
-Samsung Data Relay
-Samsung Push Service
-Samsung Syncadapters
* Remove my Samsung Account from Settings/Accounts and Sync
Thanks for this! What's the easiest way to disable all of the Samsung stuff?

Last night my battery went to 8% from 47%! When I woke up and saw the 8% of battery remaining I was like "wtf?" - Any ideas what could have caused the battery dying overnight?

Upvote 0
My battery was not behaving and to solve the problem I stopped various services to find the culprit. One of these was stopping the 3g/4g searching. Well that was not the culprit. It was my weak WIFI signal at home which resulted in a constant WIFI on and off (a hint for those with a similar problem). Now I want to go back to 4g and I forgot how I had done it originally.:mad: Will somebody help a forgetful old man to get back his 4G on the phone he loves. I found out how to disable the 4g on this thread; now I need to put it back.

JM

Upvote 0
Thanks for this! What's the easiest way to disable all of the Samsung stuff?

Last night my battery went to 8% from 47%! When I woke up and saw the 8% of battery remaining I was like "wtf?" - Any ideas what could have caused the battery dying overnight?

HOW TO Disable unnecessary Samsung Apps

1. Go to Settings.
2. Select Application manager.
3. Select All tab.
4. Select the application that you want to disable.
5. Click on Uninstall updates (if have).
6. Click on Disable.
7. Confirm it by select OK.
8. That

Upvote 0
This is interesting. If I'm understanding correctly does this mean that using an app like JuiceDefender or GreenPower is actually bad for the battery? These apps turn off the data connection and wifi when the phone is asleep and only turn them on at set intervals or when the phone is unlocked. Thoughts? Do any of you power users use these types of apps?

Thanks!

i cant speak for my new s3, but i used JD all the time on my old htc desire, and it definitely improved the battery life - same as turning of mobile data did - but only it does it for you :)

Upvote 0
Yeah I only use the wifi at home too. I just figured the way the restricting background data feature worked is it wont let any apps fetch any data until you open the actual app. So once I opened youtube I figured it would be fine but still no go. I guess I can restrict all the apps manually but that seems like a pain lol

Can anyone comment on my restrict background data problem?

Also using GSAM, i find under app usage the Kernel and android system have the highest percentage. Is this normal for everyone?

Also under time held awake the mediaserver is highest. Is there a fix for this? I saw that I can create a file saying no media or something but is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

Upvote 0
MediaServer or MediaScannerService?

If the latter, .nomedia files will hide a given directory from the scanner, however you cant hide everything. The MediaScannerService issue is best resolved by backing up your media to pc, formatting your sd and returning your media to sd. This is a semi known solution to the jellybean upgrade scanner issue.

The former though, mediaserver, just comes up when listening to music / playing video. Not sure of any bug with that. Afaik, not playing media is the fix

Upvote 0
My battery was not behaving and to solve the problem I stopped various services to find the culprit. One of these was stopping the 3g/4g searching. Well that was not the culprit. It was my weak WIFI signal at home which resulted in a constant WIFI on and off (a hint for those with a similar problem). Now I want to go back to 4g and I forgot how I had done it originally.:mad: Will somebody help a forgetful old man to get back his 4G on the phone he loves. I found out how to disable the 4g on this thread; now I need to put it back.

JM

Was this what you were looking for?

Reactions: javamann
Upvote 0
Some where here it was mentioned to reset phone to factory. Decided to do this over the weekend mostly because it was my first android so I played and experimented with the phone. Wanting to start fresh and knowing what apps I used did the reset.

I was lucky to get 24 hours from my battery and I'm not a heavy user. Listen to music at work and send the odd text, photo, etc.

After reset notice a difference after a few hours. My battery life almost doubled and I have no idea why a reset would do this but very happy with battery life on the s3 now. :)

Attachments

• 2012-10-30 21.02.22.png
    2012-10-30 21.02.22.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 320
Upvote 0
Will turning off Wi-Fi, GPS, and Bluetooth significantly improve my battery life? No. In fact, it may shorten it

I cant agree with that. I've been trying lots of different methods to extend my battery life, but the most effective way I've found is to turn off WiFi, GPS & Mobile Data when I do not need it. By doing this I can extend my battery life by at least 25%.

Upvote 0
I cant agree with that. I've been trying lots of different methods to extend my battery life, but the most effective way I've found is to turn off WiFi, GPS & Mobile Data when I do not need it. By doing this I can extend my battery life by at least 25%.

Sure you can.

While you can certainly choose not to, you've still changed the content of what I said. Of the 3 you mentioned I only spoke of WiFi & GPS, and their contribution to power use is insignificant compared to mobile data which takes up 99% of that. Turn off just mobile data and your results will be pretty much the same.

Upvote 0
See the various posts on why JD sucks....
I've just started evaluating JD Ultimate. The developer offers a 1 week money back guarantee. My first impression is that you can set it up to do whatever you want. I don't seem to have Power Saving Mode on my Galaxy Nexus (gsm), but based on my understanding of Power Saving Mode, I can setup JD to do the same. Also, I can leave WiFi and Bluetooth on by simply not enabling that feature. Seems I can configure it to do whatever makes sense. I can disable mobile data while in Night mode (eg, 2200-0600) and put it on a schedule in Day mode with, for example, an enable interval of 1 hour and duration of 1 minute. Under these circumstances, why wouldn't JD be helpful?
Pete

Upvote 0
Can't load a screen shot for whatever reason

My S3 is as follows
23%- 1 day 7 hours 31 minutes on battery
Voice calls 41%- 1 hour 36 minutes
Screen 20%- 1 hour 47 minutes
Cell Standby 10%- 1 day 7 hours 31 minutes
Android OS 8%- 13 minutes
Android system 7%- Kept awake 1 hour 13 minutes
Phone idle 7%
Chrome 5%
Google Play Store 2%

My phone is rooted, Android 4.1.2, Kernel 3.0.48 cyanogenmod
Governor- Performance
IO Scheduler- CFQ

This is my second S3 as I dropped my first one in the lake (oops) this battery life is quite a bit better than my first S3. My first S3 had good battery life also, but not this good.

Upvote 0
I continue to evaluate JD Ultimate. So far it seems to be doing everything that's advertised. Here are my results from last night:
Test 11/4-11/5
--------------
Stop: 0415: 97
Start: 1803: 100
Result: 3% / (10h + 12m) = 3 / 10.2 = 0.29 %/h
The screen was off and the phone was being controlled by JD. WiFi was turned on for 1 minute every 30 minutes. For those familiar with JD Ultimate, I am running it in the Advanced mode which offers the ability to configure all settings (see attachment). The settings allow JD to switch the phone into 2g mode and also slow down cpu to 350MHz when in idle mode. Are these results as impressive as they seem to me? I will soon do some overnight tests with JD disabled to see how they compare.
Pete

Attachments

• attach1.jpg
    attach1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 288
  • attach2.jpg
    attach2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 282
  • attach3.jpg
    attach3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 279
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones