1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root The Ultimate Guide: S-Off, Recovery, Root, & Jelly Bean

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by i2f, Jul 20, 2013.

1. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    USN Vet. / Certified Drug and Alcohol Abuse Counse
    So-Cal

Get-R-Done bro! :D

I just wiped mine and am pretty much starting from rooted stock and flashed TWRP. Even re-partitioned the SD card and in the process of moving everything back to it now. That's a bitch when you have a 16gb card that was pretty much full of goodies. lol Oh well, I've gotten so used to doing this that it's almost 2nd nature now. :D

Good luck on getting s0off bro. You'll get it. ;)

Advertisement

2. codezer0

codezer0 Android Enthusiast

Thanks for the links and steps.

I was a little worried when I saw the MD5 error after attempting to 'restore' the rooted version of JB on my One SV but then after booting up I saw everything was in order, including the SU app as I was hoping for. Well done!

3. bluebellmaniac

None

Jul 15, 2013
    Is Step 5 dependent on S-Off? I don't have access to a windows machine that I can run as Admin. Linux and Mac, but not Windoz.

If I can skip S-Off for now, then that'd be great and time saving.

4. wetbiker7

None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    So-Cal
    There is a good chance that you will not need to run as ADMIN. I would give it a try without. When I originally typed out the instructions for flashing S-Off, I included the " run as ADMIN " because I knew that several of the other members had to do it in order for theirs to work.

Personally, I did not need to run as ADMIN when I flashed S-Off. I would at least give it a try. It might just work for you.

Then again, it might not. :p You won't know unless you try it.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this rooted CWM backup will flash w/o having S-Off. I think it was Simon's original JB ROM that had to have S-Off in order for it to work.

If I am wrong, someone plz correct me.

bluebellmaniac and wyelkins like this.
  5. dieseldoc34

dieseldoc34 Newbie
    None

May 13, 2013
    ok so I have done this and successfully preformed the update and root THANK YOU.
    when I go into rom manager from my phone it asks me what recovery iam using whether it is clockwork mod or twrp when I click on clockwork it asks for phone I click on unsupported device then on manual install then it ask what version 2.x or 3.x+ which one is this platform?
    or can I use one of the htc models shown in the dropdown
    thanlks iin advance

6. wetbiker7

None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    So-Cal

I don't even use ROM Manager . I just do it the old fashioned way and do it all through either TWRP or CWM.

wyelkins and o_splatterhand like this.
  7. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    Retired Lineman
    Tampa, FL
    I haven't used ROM manager since I retired my og motorola droid. I like the control when flashing.

8. htcphan

htcphan Newbie
    None

May 26, 2013
    construction
    florida
    I done everything succesful but got a locked screen wanting passcode only allowing me to make emergency calls. Any help?

9. wetbiker7

None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    So-Cal
    You've got a locked phone. Sure it's not stolen? Wrong place to ask how to bypass phone security bro. Lol.

10. sqwerl

sqwerl Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2010
    I got the same thing when I restored your nandroid backup. A really customized ROM with custom wallpaper, apps and the security lock screen.

htcphan:
    Do a factory reset and you'll be GTG.

htcphan likes this.
  11. htcphan

htcphan Newbie
    None

May 26, 2013
    construction
    florida
    As sqwerl said the person who uploaded the original file, uploaded it w his preferences set. My phone is not stolen.

12. htcphan

htcphan Newbie
    None

May 26, 2013
    construction
    florida
    Some notes to mention: (1) I also lost at least 1 to 2 bars of reception (noticeable enougth that i now drop calls in the house). (2) is there any info on how to get the google now screen with info cards. (3) any info on wifi tether. I could no longer find wifi tether for root users on the play store. I just went to app lists and reinstalled. Have been playing with it for hours on ICS/JB lan 1 setting trying to get internet access. Shows up on networks list but no connection. Besides that this guide is ultimate. Last thing to mention I could not install the naked drivers. Something about an inf file. Also I did not go into device manager or do the right-click instructions for phone drivers. I managed to do everything successfully by simply uninstalling all HTC components off laptop and rebooting before attempting s-off. worked first time

edit: i dont even have a native wifi tether program. Is this normal?

13. Heloguy

Heloguy Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    Male
    Matawan,NJ
    i must have uploaded the wrong backup. as sqwerl stated, just do a factory reset with CWM, and you'll be good. i'll re upload the proper backup when i can get to my pc.

14. wetbiker7

None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    So-Cal

Ok Cool. Just had to ask.

Believe it or not, people have come in here looking for helping unlocking stolen phones before. Anytime I see someone who says their phone is locked and can only get the 911 service, I ask if it's stolen. :D

15. htcphan

htcphan Newbie
    None

May 26, 2013
    construction
    florida
    No problem at all. I wanted to give an update. I got wifi tether to work and fully connects laptop to my lte. My reception still does not seem to par. dropping calls to easily. Does anyone know anything about the google now info cards. On a samsung gs3 there would be a widget that has the whole google now with cards pop ups. Sorry if this sounds dumb but google now and those pop up cards like i have on my nexus 7 as well is the whole reason i went thru all this. was shocked to have working tether due to huge problem i had with the at&t gs3 when it got the 4.1jb

16. irishobo

irishobo Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    Male
    Telecommunications Contractor Co-Owner Splice Pros
    Tennessee
    Hold the home button and Google now will come up

17. htcphan

htcphan Newbie
    None

May 26, 2013
    construction
    florida
    i had tried that to no avail. I had to force stop google search clear everything, and re run google search to opt in. Now my only complaint is lower signal. I have switched back and forth between backups today to confirm. No other problems. Will research this unless if anyone can chime in

18. i2f

i2f Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    Male
    Philadelphia, PA
    My reception on boost mobile have always sucked. I'm probably going to get the nexus 4 very soon on metropcs. Anyone interested in an HTC One SV? PM me for details.

19. wetbiker7

None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    So-Cal
    I hate to say it but it looks like HTC really dropped the ball when they picked the radio receiver/antenna for this phone. My Marquee gets much better signal. What a damn shame too. This phone runs great.

There is a good possibility that the signal will get better with the custom ROMs. I hope that's the case. I've seen it happen in the past. Then again I've also seen the signal get worse with a custom ROM too. ;)

We shall see! :D

20. i2f

i2f Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    Male
    Philadelphia, PA
    My boost signal was never good, even on the warp and prevail. I ordered a nexus and it's supposed to come in the mail on Monday, so hopefully I'll be able to switch to metropcs sometime then.

Edit: I'll release what I themed for this phone when I do switch over, though you pretty much get the the meat of the theme that Gus and I worked on. There will only be MINOR differences. I decided not to theme the settings because it actually interferes with the icons of a few apps. Go figure.

wetbiker7 and irishobo like this.
  21. dieseldoc34

dieseldoc34 Newbie
    None

May 13, 2013
    Ok if you guys don't use cw how do I find new roms or update mine?

22. wetbiker7

None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    So-Cal

HUH? Do mean you mean... CWM? If so, some do use it while others use TWRP.

As far as custom ROMs.... there aren't any right now that have been released for JB on our phone. Patience........ they are being worked on. ;)

23. Mikessv

Mikessv Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 11, 2011
    Male
    I'm working on trying to do a desensed rom, and some others are working on some. You are stuck stock but at least thanks to Simon and others we have a rooted s-off version of jb with plenty of mods.

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk 2

irishobo likes this.
  24. dieseldoc34

dieseldoc34 Newbie
    None

May 13, 2013
    That's cool, I appreciate the work you guys are doing, makes these phones alt better,which outs the preferred method of flashing cwm or twrp and whats the difference

25. titetanium

titetanium Newbie
    None

Aug 27, 2012
    Quick question, before I start this...can I use the boot method from the root without overwriting recovery/kernel method thread to accomplish the same thing?

The idea being to boot cwm from the laptop instead of the phone and then flash the rooted rom to the phone? After that is done and the phone is working, caches cleared, phone reset, then I can flash the twrp recovery to the phone afterwards then make a nandroid backup? Will this method work or not?

Also, about the degrading boost signal, could it be due to the prl on the rom that is being flashed? I have prl version 31101 if that makes a difference

Tags: