1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

The Ultimate Portable (Android) Media Center - Help to create it!

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by Walk21, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Walk21

Walk21 Lurker
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Hey all. Well I am looking in to getting myself a decent android mobile soon, and I am looking specifically at something from HTC or something like the Atrix.

Now I know this topic has been brought up countless times before, however it has never been truly resolved. I would like to build the ultimate portable media center using external HD's and a decent android mobile device. Now this will obviously demand that one comes up with a way to allow for their android device to act as a host, I am sure this can be done in some or other way.

This is what I have in mind:

Android mobile -------------> External HD (USB Powered)

However, we all know that the mobile device will not be able to power the HD. But we want this to be portable remember? So I came across this kind of concept:

Duracell Powersource Mini

By using a simply Y usb cable, we could retain the portability of this useful system.

What I really hope to achieve is having a decent android mobile, coupled with something like a 1TB WD My passport USB Hard drive. This will allow me to take a hugely extensive media collection with me wherever I go, and simply transfer whatever I have on mind straight onto the mobile from the HD!

How does this sound to you guys? If you have any feedback/advice, I would really appreciate it.

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    I'm not sure that would work. Only the Xoom and one other phone will actually accept a usb input. And even then, it only accepts flash drives and keyboards, not full hard drives.