• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help The "USB Connected" notification stays on after the USB is disconnected

Menu, settings, applications, development, USB debugging - unchecked.

Menu, settings, applications, USB settings, check on connection - checked.

Restart phone and PROBLEM SOLVED!
Anyone can confirm it work for them too.

Up to now mine could be lost in the mail. Hard to admit but I've shipped via very cheap air mail without tracking and very under-insured by inadvertence. In future I will buy locally for such expensive item. My first move was to find service from Samsung Canada but they only deal with their product sold in Canada :(

so far keeping these settings has worked..i've charged my phone numerous times & connected vis usb to my pc..after i finished using mass storage set back to check on connection and it hasnt been flashing "usb connected" on my notifications..i'm just keeping my fingers crossed that its just a settings thing and not some software/hardware glitch or malfunction!

Upvote 0
absolutely ridiculous!!! i sent my phone off with Vodafone about a week ago with the same problem and got it back today and they didnt do anything to fix it and they are claiming it is water damage so they cant attempted to repair it!! there is no visible water damage, they are trying to claim that it might not be as obvious as that as it could be condensation! condensation to break a

Reactions: juni
Upvote 0
My solution for now...
Have the USB connected to your PC and shut down the phone.
Keep the USB connected to your PC and start up the phone as normally.

It came back for me with USB debbugging on, but after disconnecting it it didn't show up connecting anymore. Though I'm not eagered to do a reboot with the phone once more ;)

Reactions: Got
Upvote 0
'tis annoying.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S and only recently has it started playing up (perhaps 5 weeks old?).

Kept flashing up USB Connected (when it was not) and USB debugging. Solved that through advice on here, but can't stop it from going into a 'coma' and having to take the battery out to get things going again. GRRRR. I'll see if O2 can help me.

Upvote 0
Anyone can confirm it work for them too.

Up to now mine could be lost in the mail. Hard to admit but I've shipped via very cheap air mail without tracking and very under-insured by inadvertence. In future I will buy locally for such expensive item. My first move was to find service from Samsung Canada but they only deal with their product sold in Canada :(

Corosion. I scratched usb input with thin wire few minutes, later everything worked perfectly. Thanks for advice

So... seem that cremebrulay in his first message including pictures was near the solution. It's terrible that I lost my Galaxy S by sending it back to seller too early. I

Upvote 0
well I got my phone back from repair place today...have been sent the same phone back without repair because they said it had water damage..even tho it has not been in any water...unbelievable cheek of them

same thing here just got mine back from vodafone and they said it had water damage in the usb port furious at them never been anywhere naer any water getting in touch with samsung tomorrow and seeking legal advice only had it two months

Upvote 0
same thing happened to me today got mine back and vodafone said it could be moisture in the air how stupid can that be there is moisture in the air everywere in the world going from a hot house into the cold you get condenstion but it should not afect the phone as its mobile if you have to stay in the house were its warm and drie then its not mobile is it getting legal advise on this one its a desin fault as copper contacts and moisture dont go together should be stainless steel contacts need recall sped it about in a electical engineer so i no

Upvote 0
I've had this problem for 5 days now. Let me tell you how this problem starts

1) It flashes with usb connected on and off
2) If left inactive for any amount of time the phone will switch off in coma mode
3) I press the power button to switch back on, and all I get is a little white circle rotating, then disapears
4) Only way to reboot is to plug it into a power source either charger or usb pc cable when the battery charger image on the screen shows

**I know at least half of you have experienced this so far**

When I plug it in, reboot, all is fine. I change the USB options to take away the flashing usb connection errors, but if I leave it inactive, it still turns off with the same problem

Ohhh, how close it is to being smashed up lol. Luckily enough I purchased mine back in July about 6 months ago......... I'm guessing 99% if you did too. If so, then read on.... You are covered by Samsung directly... Screw the rip-off insurance, and anything else.. (you'll just pay an excess from the provider to get it repaired/replaced)

You can update the latest firmware to 2.2 via Kies, but it will not solve the problem. The problem isn't a hardware defect. They will say this (in this order)

1) Carry out a battery calibration
2) Replace the battery
3) Update the firmware
4) Change settings to power saving
5) perform a factory reset

But in reality in the real world, who the hell is going to pay money for a new a battery on a "possible" solution when it's a

Upvote 0
And now, 105 days after having shipped my phone to HK, my parcel has been returned to me today, undecipherable reasons. Still working good (not yet addressed the *USB connected* situation). I will return the Nexus One tomorrow (I had 30 days to cancel the deal). And they announce the Nexus S now. Good Lord...

I hope I will be able to find a way to repair myself the Galaxy S. I will reread this thread again.
I have returned the N1.

Up to now, the "USB Connected" notification didn't show up after 3 days and about 10 recharge or Kies cable connexions. :thinking: :) :thinking:

My question now: Does the Asian international version I9000ZSJF7 Eclair 2.1 will eventually be upgradable to Froyo 2.2 simply via Kies update?

Upvote 0
I had the same problem as everyone else in this thread. My phone worked fine for two months. One day I was wearing a nasty imitation leather jacket and had the phone in my shirt pocket. It got kind of hot where I was and it got "steamy" inside that jacket before I took it off. The next time I looked at my phone it was doing the "USB Connected" dance. I tried power cycling and couldn't get the phone to power up, just got the grey battery symbol.

I tried a variety of things to fix this with marginal success. When I returned home I got the connector under a microscope and saw that there was some crud in the connector:

USB_Dirty.jpg

You really couldn't see it with the naked eye, you need at least 10 to 20X magnification and a good light source to see it. I turned off the phone, took out the battery, and squirted some canned air ("Dust Off") in the connector and blew a lot of that stuff out. However, there still was some dirt on the contacts. I took a small piece of coffee filter paper, wrapped it around the end of a small twist tie, soaked it in isopropyl alcohol, and swabbed out the connector. Here's the clean connector:

USB_Clean.jpg

You need to be very careful about sticking things in the connector. The little tab that holds the contacts is fragile.

I powered the phone back up and it no longer displays the "USB Connected" message. It works correctly when I really do plug in a USB cable, too.

Why does this fix the problem? Well, I used to design cell phones, and I know a thing or two about the external connectors on phones. The phone has to have some way of detecting that something has been plugged into the connector. Micro USB connectors do not have a mechanical switch to detect the presence of a plug in the socket. If these connectors work the way USB OTG (On-The-Go) connectors work, there is a resistor in the cable between two of the pins. The phone attempts to pass a small amount of current through that resistor to detect the presence of the cable. When there is debris in the connector, like cotton fuzz from clothing, tiny bits of soap from washing, and tiny flakes of dead skin, and you add humidity from perspiration or rain, etc. you create little blobs of slightly conductive goo that can bridge the gap between the pins. That blob of goo looks just like a resistor to the electronics in the phone. So the phone thinks there's always something plugged into the connector. Why have some people been able to fix the problem with settings then? I suspect that they found settings that cause the phone to stop checking for a USB cable or to ignore the signal that tells the OS that something is plugged in.

I'd like to hear whether this solves the problem for others. While we're at it, does anyone know what those two extra contacts way at the back of the connector are for? Those aren't standard USB pins. I suspect they are used in manufacturing test.

Now if Verizon would only release Froyo for this phone...

Upvote 0
WOW, great visual description of the problem.

Although mine is now working well after this period of over 3 months with battery removed and having gone to freezing temperature for some day.

Maybe only because here, in winter, it's getting very dry inside. Anyway, if ever the *"USB Connected" dance* as you call it, ever come back, I will try your cleaning technique.

Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0
My solution for now...
Have the USB connected to your PC and shut down the phone.
Keep the USB connected to your PC and start up the phone as normally.

It came back for me with USB debbugging on, but after disconnecting it it didn't show up connecting anymore. Though I'm not eagered to do a reboot with the phone once more ;)

Thank you bambam...your solution worked for me...was beginning to get worried that I was the only one facing this problem and only found the community today... tried some of the other solutions in the thread but yours has worked!! awesome!!

Upvote 0
XPhoneGuy, thanks a ton for posting this!

My phone got a bit wet this morning as I had it on the bathroom sink after I showered. I really only thought I had got a few drops of water on it. Anyways I had the USB connected signal flashing, boot-up problems, etc like everyone here. I tried the USB settings menu described here to no avail.

So after your post, I folded some toilet paper over a few times, and pushed and prodded it into the USB connector with a steak knife (sounds murderous, but it wasn't!).

Long story short, I still got the message flashing problem but on the next boot-up everything is back to normal!

Sooo I would say ... dirt/water contamination is probably the cause to most of these message flashing issues.

Samsung should really have a folding rubber cap over the usb port if it's this critical and easy to dirty.

Peter
I had the same problem as everyone else in this thread. My phone worked fine for two months. One day I was wearing a nasty imitation leather jacket and had the phone in my shirt pocket. It got kind of hot where I was and it got "steamy" inside that jacket before I took it off. The next time I looked at my phone it was doing the "USB Connected" dance. I tried power cycling and couldn't get the phone to power up, just got the grey battery symbol.

I tried a variety of things to fix this with marginal success. When I returned home I got the connector under a microscope and saw that there was some crud in the connector:

USB_Dirty.jpg

You really couldn't see it with the naked eye, you need at least 10 to 20X magnification and a good light source to see it. I turned off the phone, took out the battery, and squirted some canned air ("Dust Off") in the connector and blew a lot of that stuff out. However, there still was some dirt on the contacts. I took a small piece of coffee filter paper, wrapped it around the end of a small twist tie, soaked it in isopropyl alcohol, and swabbed out the connector. Here's the clean connector:

USB_Clean.jpg

You need to be very careful about sticking things in the connector. The little tab that holds the contacts is fragile.

I powered the phone back up and it no longer displays the "USB Connected" message. It works correctly when I really do plug in a USB cable, too.

Why does this fix the problem? Well, I used to design cell phones, and I know a thing or two about the external connectors on phones. The phone has to have some way of detecting that something has been plugged into the connector. Micro USB connectors do not have a mechanical switch to detect the presence of a plug in the socket. If these connectors work the way USB OTG (On-The-Go) connectors work, there is a resistor in the cable between two of the pins. The phone attempts to pass a small amount of current through that resistor to detect the presence of the cable. When there is debris in the connector, like cotton fuzz from clothing, tiny bits of soap from washing, and tiny flakes of dead skin, and you add humidity from perspiration or rain, etc. you create little blobs of slightly conductive goo that can bridge the gap between the pins. That blob of goo looks just like a resistor to the electronics in the phone. So the phone thinks there's always something plugged into the connector. Why have some people been able to fix the problem with settings then? I suspect that they found settings that cause the phone to stop checking for a USB cable or to ignore the signal that tells the OS that something is plugged in.

I'd like to hear whether this solves the problem for others. While we're at it, does anyone know what those two extra contacts way at the back of the connector are for? Those aren't standard USB pins. I suspect they are used in manufacturing test.

Now if Verizon would only release Froyo for this phone...

Upvote 0
I have a samsung Galaxy, mine became faulty e.g. it would switch its self off, say that it was connected to the USB port when it wasnt, and then it would show the loading dial, etc...

I sent it back to the company my contract is with and they told me it was condensation damage and they couldnt fix it and sent it back, minus all but one of the screws that hold it together. :mad::mad::mad:

Needless to say I was less than happy and I contacted Samsung directly and I was told to send my phone to them. I have recieved it back after a week working good as new. They told me it was a fault with the PBE board and not condensation damage.

I dont have insurance on my phone and it was fixed by samsung free of charge as the problem wasnt caused by me. :D

Your phone company is fobbing you off with the excuse of condensation damage!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones