1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General The Verge Review--SLAMS the DNA

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bgillyjcu, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Thunder22

Thunder22 Member
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    NY/NJ/LI
    The unstated problem with a battery that "just gets you through the day" is that the battery endures at least 1 charging cycle every 24 hours, probably more than that on average.

Li Ion batteries are designed for anywhere from 400-1200 charging cycles over their life span. Considering that the battery isn't removable, and if the charging cycles life span is on the 400 side, that is also a concern to me. The battery dies 35 days after the 1 year warranty expires? sorry, it's not removable, buy a new phone unless you have insurance.

Advertisement

2. aodmisery

aodmisery Well-Known Member
    None

May 13, 2010
    as long as the battery lasts longer than my thunderbolt battery ill be happy

3. SteveISU

SteveISU Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    I have over 5 hours of screen time on my note 2 and I'm sitting at 22% life left. It's an amazing device.

4. Don S

Don S Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 30, 2009
    Male
    Bayville, NJ USA
    Ditto. I have one too currently.

5. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Well I have a GNex with the 2100 battery, and I have to put it on the charger at least once, sometimes twice a day. But I am a super heavy user, I stream or listen to music almost all day, and check the forums, twitter, facebook, etc. a lot. I know the DNA won't last me all day at work, but I am at a desk, so thats not a problem. Plus I think my battery, which is now a year old, has lost some capacity, so there is that.

6. cdmoore74

cdmoore74 Member
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    If you put it in that perspective I'm getting a note 2. I've been a GNex user since day one and based off my personal use I can't make it a past lunch without using one of my spare batteries or plugging it into an outlet. If I'm going on a long trip I carry 2 spares with me for peace of mind.
    And after waking up at 4:20am and the time now is 5:28am my phone is showing 50%. That's with automatic brightness with the governor set to performance, WiFi using the standard battery.
    Point is I don't want to be tied to a charger with a cord weighing me down. I could have settled with removable batteries. The DNA is not for me because I'm a very heavy user. But I bet for the vast majority of regular users you'll be fine. I would still get the DNA over every phone except for the Note 2. And the Note 2 is not for everyone.

Oh, the time now is 5:45am and I'm at 37%. That's 13% for 17 minutes. But I do have the governor set to performance.

7. dwagner88

dwagner88 Member
    None

Nov 13, 2012
    Wow. That is absurdly bad. How have you tolerated it for so long?

8. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Mine is pretty bad too. I think part of it is the actual capacity has dropped over a year.

9. ben7337

ben7337 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    Male

That's pretty bad. I assume you had the screen on the entire time web browsing or something? That's the only way I could ever get my Gnex to drain that fast, but in the morning off the charger, it's easy to spend 15 mins on the phone doing that and to lose more than 15% just from that.

10. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    The S3 battery is removable and replaceable with a spare. So if the DNA doesn't last much longer, it deserves a lower rating on battery life since you can't pop in a new one.

I don't know what DNA sales will be, but I bet they would double them by putting in a 3000mAh battery and 32GB of memory. This phone is a no-go for me without those two things. I'm constantly charging my Bionic, and I hate extended batteries and the thick, pregnant looking cases. Thin phones with huge batteries like the Note 2 are the only way I'm going from now on.

My son was REALLY excited about the DNA until he discovered that his Rezound has 11GB of music, games, etc., already on it. Now he realizes he can't buy that phone and be happy. Someone at HTC needs to be fired....

11. Don S

Don S Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 30, 2009
    Male
    Bayville, NJ USA
    That's debatable, but even if true, my point was about their assessment of how long it lasted. For the GS3, 4 hours 12 minutes was "normal", for the DNA the LONGER duration of 4 hours 25 min was "dreadful". It just isn't consistent. That is the point I was making.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  12. victek

victek Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    I don't know that it deserves a lower rating, but it's certainly a practical consideration. By the way, I've yet to read an explanation for why we're seeing more phones with non-removable/replaceable batteries. There must be some benefit, such as lower production cost, slimmer profile, or better protection against contamination that justifies it.

13. zenman

zenman Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 3, 2010
    Well it certainly doesn't help the resale value, so maybe the benefit is to HTC and other phone makers. Buying a phone that's 2+ years old with a non removable battery is not a good idea.

14. Shockwave78

Shockwave78 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 16, 2011
    HVAC
    NH
    Ill tell you guys what..I am a iphone user since they came out, have had everyone. Actually probably 3 or 4 of every model since i am pretty good at wheeling and dealing and making money off them :D

Anyway...I have been absoluetely dying to get away from the iphone since the 4 was released a couple years ago. No android phones could compete at all back then. Then the Gnex came out last december, great device but over all it felt cheap, the screen sucked outside, and the battery life what horrible. I then moved onto the razr, meh...lol won't even discuss that POS. Then the SIII...was very happy at first, but then the AMOLED screen thing started pissing me off, absolutley terrible outside in sunlight. Colors are way over saturated. Battery life...well acceptable, but still not good enough. Still found myself looking for a charger Friday night or Saturday when i am out and about.

Then i got the iPhone 5 to tide me over until the new Windows phones come out. I could not believe the battery life this thing gets with Verizon LTE and a 1400mah battery :eek: I was completely blown away by it... Usually 5-6 hrs i will get constantly and that is real world usage, i don't do any ipod or any of that stuff with the screen off. My usage is 80% web browsing, and 20 percent apps that use internet data.

The only reason i am bringing this up here is that Sharp is also supply the displays for the iphone 5, they are VERY EFFICIENT compared to what they were using before, this and apple is only using a single radio on the iphone 5's compared to all other LTE phones(they use two).

If Jelly bean is so much more effecient, and they are using the 5" screens from sharp, combined with a 2000mah battery...I could believe this phone would be getting 4 1/2 -5 1/2hrs of screen on usage like I would use it.

My largest complaint with the all the Android phones i have used so far are the AMOLED screens and battery life. This one could solve that!

But! Windows phone is still on my radar, i finally got to try the lumia 920 out and HTC 8x, the lumia is just way to large, wtf were they thinking :facepalm: The 8x is a very nice phone and i will have to give it another try instore this week. My only choice really is the 8x though since thats all verizon carries for the high end WP8(nokia 820 meh)

15. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    The Verge reminds me of an article I read on the internet this morning. I goes a little something like this:

A company that specializes in iphone mobile ads says that the majority of their ads are on the iphone.

:D:D

16. Damar1979

Damar1979 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    The droid DNA looks to be an awesome damn phone. But what kills it for me is this: 1080p, 440 PPI, beats audioquad core snapdragon S4 pro and 2 gigs of ram. This could be the mother of all multimedia phones.......if it had expandable memory! How do you make a phone that awesome and only give it 16gigs? Which after bloatware will probably only give you about 12-11.

17. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Common on HTC 16 GB phones to have about 2 GB for apps, 10 GB for storage.

The other 4 go to the operating system, radio firmware and other goodies.

How about it NA, do those numbers track here?

18. Red Devil

Red Devil Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    Male
    Software Engineer
    San Diego, CA
    Have any of you folks invested in those portable battery chargers? I am not referring to spare batteries. I was thinking of buying one. Since I'll be putting a solid case on the phone, it'd be painful to change batteries all the time

19. Red Devil

Red Devil Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    Male
    Software Engineer
    San Diego, CA
    Just saw the other thread on the same topic

20. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member
    None

May 30, 2010
    Hehe...guess
    NYC
    Might be helpful to read this article.

From here: Droid DNA The Real Battery Test - Rochester Droid X | Examiner.com

AntimonyER likes this.
  21. CGdroid

CGdroid Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2010

Nope , someone at Verizon needs to be fired. The Japanese version (Butterfly J) actually has MicroSD slot, water proof feature, etc.. Verizon want this phone to be this way, not HTC.

22. bgillyjcu

bgillyjcu Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 19, 2010
    I agree the no SD slot is clearly a Verizon ploy to get users to use more cloud and thus use more data to access it.

The data plans are where they are making the most money, so why not try to make more. Can't blame them...All we can do is either suck it up and stay with them because they have the best coverage, OR pick up and go elsewhere.

I'l be at a Verizon store to play with the DNA at 10am tomorrow. If I like it, I'll buy it...if not, then I'll continue to wait to find what I want. As much as I hate my 2 year old Droid X now, I do remember how great it was 2 years ago. I need a phone NOW that will last me another 2 years and still be great. The DNA has that possibility!

23. zenman

zenman Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 3, 2010
    I can't wait till another carrier gets a network that is near in size/quality as Verizon's. Until we have some decent competition, Verizon will continue to control things too much and the consumer loses.

24. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

May 11, 2010
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Northern Ky
    Pretty close yea, out of box you have about 11gigs of usable space.

I immediately put all my apps on phone (have 3 gameloft games that total 4gigs) and am sitting on about 5 1/2 gigs free space. Would I love more space? Certainly... but I think this will suit me just fine

EarlyMon likes this.
  25. IamtheMamba

IamtheMamba Lurker
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    I also found the DNA review on The Verge to be a little sketchy, especially in when describing the battery usage. I personally just think that the reviewer himself just did not like the phone. That's all good and fine but the review itself just did not seem to have been written from an unbiased perspective. I personally don't find the phone to be "massive" not the battery life to be terrible in any way shape or form. In fact it has been much better than my Gnex in the battery life department. I do have to keep a charger handy at work but I literally work in a concrete fortress where cell signals come to die. No phone survives an entire day without some sort of charging solution in this place As far as the 16gigs of storage, that has actually proven to be a non issue as I discovered I had a bunch of apps on my Gnex that I literally never used and games that I never, and I mean never played. Oh and not to mention the screen is leaps and bounds better than my Gnex which ended up having some pretty nasty burn in.