1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

The Walkman Test

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by parialex, Mar 28, 2010.

1. parialex

parialex New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Dillon, MT
    I am a Windows Mobile user looking to migrate to Android. I'd prefer get a Milestone, though I am flexible (particularly as long as it has a 3.5mm audio jack). What I want to know is the feasibility of doing on the Android what I can now do with WinMo, namely the ability to treat my device as a Walkman.

What I mean by that is that I want to be able to play music and videos on the Android without it leaving my holster. I have my WinMo phone rigged up so that when it comes on, I press the Volume Up button and the video/music player opens (or becomes active). then, within the media player, I have it set up so that if I hit the Volume Up button again, it plays and pauses. That way I can do the vast majority of what I want to do without having to fiddle with the device even to set it up to play music (and/or listen to the audio while a video is playing in my holster).

The question I have is how feasible this is with current Android devices. Can I customize buttons in the OS and then again within the media player? Is there a media player or button manager I can download or buy that will give me these options? Or if I can't do it this particular way with configured buttons, is there another way that I can do it that I haven't thought of? And lastly, is there a particular make/model that would make this possible/easier?

Advertisement