1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The Word

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jefboyardee, Apr 10, 2012.

1. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Extreme Android User

I never understood why Google would abandon the name

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}

My guess would-be.. they thought it would be in their best interest. :)

<thread moved>

3. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

Would the word "Work" be more appropriate? "Google Work" Or maybe a different name that would make people feel less childish? "Google ISwearItsBusinessRelated" or "Google IChooseNotToFollowTheiTunesTrendAndAmShowingOffMyIndividuality store"? :p

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

IMO they are trying to move away from just being app/android related and get into the same style store as iTunes or Amazon. Android Market was a title that made it seem like it was Android only when you don't need an android device to purchase the music...Why they didn't go with Google Market is beyond me but Google Play sounds more like a media store for computers as well compared to Android Market.

novox77 likes this.
  5. jefboyardee

I&#8217;m not saying Google didn&#8217;t have a real reason hiding somewhere; I was just referring to their choosing the word &#8220;play&#8221;, a word we all knew was already in the Blackberry plans.

6. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Personally I have never associated the word "play" with blackberry

7. jefboyardee

Nor had I until I saw that article; then a dim bulb flickered on:

1. RIM has had PlayBook OS in the works for some time, then

2. Google, out of the blue, changes the name

8. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

I'm slightly with Yeahha on this. I think them getting away from Android would make sense (considering they sell other stuff). But I think Google Play is probably the most asinine name. To me, it doesn't say 'buy your music here', but it says 'I leik 2 play gamez'

Google Market or Google Store would have been *far* more intelligent to me. Play sounds like what you'd want on your child's tablet. You know, full of apps that let kids draw smiley faces and rainbows.

(off topic RE: RIM )
    As you all may know, I'm a fan of RIM and would love to see a come back, but I surely don't believe that would be a done with the Playbook. Too little too late my friend.

9. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

You know they make medication to correct that right? [​IMG]

9to5cynic and melim like this.
  10. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

"market" doesn't really give an impression of "rental" imho. Market is "buy". "play" is pay and play. Pay for then play music, play games, play movies. Regardless of purchase or not.

Sure, productivity apps don't fit but theyre pushing themselves as an entertainment hub.

I really don't see the big deal Tbh