• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The worst Camera ever seen.

I now own the Hero for two weeks, but this is the Phone with one of the worst cameras i have seen.
I also own a Nokia N95, this one is 100x better.
For a phone that claims all in one and one of the latest models, without a flash, cannot claim this.
Then they said it is 5MP, i think it is even 1.5mp.

My wife has a old Samsung with 1MP, this thing makes even better Photo's then the Hero.
It is a crap that i have to buy a program like FX to make better photo's.

And yes i know, a phone is to make calls.

Then there is the lack of very bad Bluetooth.

I hope HTC will fix this soon, or i return the phone.

Are there any positifs, Yes i like the model and the layout.
The touch screen is very good, also the touch keyboard.

The phone presumes to be a business one, but at the moment i
would not recommend it to my colleagues.

I've seen many worse phone camera's. That said what do you expect from a sensor the size of a pinhead with a tiny lens in front of it? - camera phone's are always compromises and no one said the camera on the hero is one of the best. I use camera's for pictures and the hero for communication and information.

But give it good daylight and take some care over exposure and it'll do a respectable job. I had my dslr out a few days ago but I took these with the hero just to see what it could do. I'd say they're ok for a no frills phone cam:

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

5ISY1PnETPjexoyhc6LUrA

Upvote 0
Megapixels don't mean that much, the size of the ccd, the quality of the lens and software are the important issues. Switching camera software ( zoomfx, etc)will add features but all the current camera software I've tried seem to be based on the slow and poor performing stock camera ware. I don't own a Hero, but from my experience there is little difference between the various Android phone offerings camera quality wise beyond the addition of a flash and maybe a software glitch in the Droid. That being said, the camera is adequate or the task. If camera quality was a high priority for you, you didn't do your pre purchase homework.

"Then there is the lack of very bad Bluetooth."
Isn't this a good thing? Do you want very bad bluetooth?

Oh, and I would also disagree with the Hero being marketed as a "business phone".

Upvote 0
Those photos look quite good. You using stock camera or another app. If your using stock what settings do you have it on

Thanks

Stock camera app,
5m resolution
Auto WB
Zoom, 0
Brightness, centre scale
Basically standard 'out of the box' settings.

The most important thing is to give it good light to work with - ideally good daylight. This will give it its best chance.

cheers
M

Upvote 0
I took these with the hero just to see what it could do. I'd say they're ok for a no frills phone cam

I'd say so too! Apart from the colour balance being slightly off, which with that much snow around isn't surprising, they're bloomin' impressive. Gotta love the depth-of-field from that tiny aperture, and sharpness doesn't look bad either.

Btw, I'd kill for some blue sky or even half-decent light up here right now. :(

Upvote 0
I now own the Hero for two weeks, but this is the Phone with one of the worst cameras i have seen.
I also own a Nokia N95, this one is 100x better.
For a phone that claims all in one and one of the latest models, without a flash, cannot claim this.
Then they said it is 5MP, i think it is even 1.5mp.

My wife has a old Samsung with 1MP, this thing makes even better Photo's then the Hero.
It is a crap that i have to buy a program like FX to make better photo's.

And yes i know, a phone is to make calls.

Then there is the lack of very bad Bluetooth.

I hope HTC will fix this soon, or i return the phone.

Are there any positifs, Yes i like the model and the layout.
The touch screen is very good, also the touch keyboard.

The phone presumes to be a business one, but at the moment i
would not recommend it to my colleagues.
You sure youve got it on the 5mp setting and not the lowest? As others have said it depends on your expectations but ive owned the n95 and the hero like you and in normal daylight the pics are virtually the same. The n95 takes better nighttime pics granted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones