• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root the x has been rooted!!

the bootloader is still encrypted. They have root but not a custom recovery and no custom kernels. They cant flash roms at this point. The bootloader issue doesnt stop root it stops custom recovery.

Upvote 0
the bootloader is still encrypted. They have root but not a custom recovery and no custom kernels. They cant flash roms at this point. The bootloader issue doesnt stop root it stops custom recovery.

Sounds kinda useless to me. I thought I would use the hell out of Wifi tether...NOPE. Oh well, I wish them luck with kernels and ROMs though lol.

Upvote 0
Can u use wifi or barnacle tether apps on it now? And if so, can Verizon still track it? That's one reason I don't want to switch phones. My Droid can do all that, and I ain't heard anything about it..

Verizon still knows when you are tethering with your Droid. The data packets will show that if they examine your data usage. Usually it's not worth their time, though.

Upvote 0
they can still theme and at least they can get rid of the bloatware thats all over that thing. Its got a bunch of preinstalled crap

Ouch, that sucks! I read something about bloatware plaguing the newer Android phones. Not cool...

Thing I would look forward to would be the OC'ing of the X. I'd love to see how high it would get! IF it got over around 1.6...i'd probably try to get one lol.

Upvote 0
they can still theme and at least they can get rid of the bloatware thats all over that thing. Its got a bunch of preinstalled crap

Even if they can still theme the X, wouldn't they have a hard time adding that to a phone, being that the bootloader is still encrypted in all.....

I mean any recovery mode relies on having a custom bootloader doesn't it?

Upvote 0
Ouch, that sucks! I read something about bloatware plaguing the newer Android phones. Not cool...

Thing I would look forward to would be the OC'ing of the X. I'd love to see how high it would get! IF it got over around 1.6...i'd probably try to get one lol.

Yeah I'd have to agree. Which makes me wonder about the Fascinate. I wonder what they can get out of it....maybe about the same I'm hoping.....

Upvote 0
Even if they can still theme the X, wouldn't they have a hard time adding that to a phone, being that the bootloader is still encrypted in all.....

I mean any recovery mode relies on having a custom bootloader doesn't it?

You're thinking of fully themed ROMs - a theme that is just a manipulation of the framework.res and additional icons does not, in fact, change the basics of the ROM itself - and thus would be doable on the X.

Think Metamorph - no bootloader required.

Upvote 0
You're thinking of fully themed ROMs - a them that is just a manipulation of the framework.res and additional icons does not, in fact, change the basics of the ROM itself - and thus would be doable on the X.

That's true, you'd just have to pull off the phone and overwrite when putting back on and reboot. Is that the process that everyone would have to take when theming the X at this point?

Upvote 0
Not sure - I only have a DROID - and I'm sticking to it until it simply becomes infeasible to keep. Which means sometime in 2011 :D

Lol don't blame you. I'm looking at the Fascinate, but even after I get it, my Droid will always be my Droid, that is until it becomes way way out dated lol.
I'm trying to get into developing more, so broadening my horizon is what I'm trying to do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones