1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The X is one tough phone!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nynvolt, Feb 8, 2011.

1. nynvolt

nynvolt Android Enthusiast

I had my DX in my back pocket, naked, when I received a txt. I was walking quickly through a rough asphalt parking lot and somehow the DX flew from my finger tips as if I flung it purposely. It landed, seriously, like five or six feet in front of me, glass side down. It bounced a few times, then skittered across the pavement before coming to rest. I was horrified and almost scared to pick it up.

It lit up and upon detailed inspection I found the glass had been untouched...miraculously. There is an aluminum or other metal bezel that surrounds the glass, it had contact cuts and dings on all four corners but the glass completely in tact and unscratched.

I hate that I dropped and marred the edges of my phone but got to hand it to motorola, nice job.

Now I know that there is a great deal of luck involved here, so your experiences may differ but that extra heft felt from the phone, the metal used, really saved the day. I'd hate to see what happens to a samsung galaxy S when it meets pavement for the first time. Those are feather weight.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert

Dropped mine a few times. Had the cover(accessory cover) break apart and phone go on it's own from there. I have like zero scratches on the phone itself which is amazing in itself.

3. nlsme

nlsme Android Expert

Droppem mine a few times naked. Just 2 tiny scuff marks. No dents, no scratches!!

4. lancedriskell

lancedriskell Member

dropped mine into a glass of southern sweet tea.... let it dry and, the only prob is the power button is still a bit hardheaded...

5. caveritt

caveritt Member

was running when my came out of my pocket, bounced off the street and I kicked it. It went about 15 yards down the sidewalk. Got to it and it only had a few scratches on the sides and corners. Latter found that the headphone jack was damaged but, hey, show me an iPhone that can do this. I was sitting down once and reached in my pocket to grab my iPod touch and it slipped out (i know butterfingers). It fell maybe about 2 feet at most. When it hit the tile floor the glass shattered out of the thing. Last encounter I have had with Apple.

6. Steven58

It's indeed tough. That plastic-y stuff never lasts with me.

7. chmodx

chmodx Android Enthusiast

There's a good case Verizon sells for $25, it's a hazey-clear back and rubbery sides. I've dropped mine with it, no panels to worry about breaking off or cracking.

8. bbuck002

bbuck002 Android Enthusiast

well the glass shouldn't scratch unless you drop it on silica sand and rub it all around. The glass is Corning's Gorilla Glass which is one of the hardest glasses on the market.

9. Helicrewchief

Helicrewchief Well-Known Member

Agreed. I am extremely hard on phones and I am very lucky to have a phone last more than 4 months. I even found out that asurian (sp?) will only let you claim 2 phones a year.

This X is a beast! Still with the original phone from launch day with no problems. Its been naked since. First week I had it I tossed it from the bathroom to my bed, 10 feet or so, like I have done with all phones in the past. For some reason the X decided to grow wings and fly. It bounced off the bed, hit the wall hard and then skidded across the hardwood floor. Not a scratch on it. Needless to say I don't "toss" the phone anymore.

The worse damage has happen similar as the OP. Same damage edges around the display are scratched and ding up really bad. But the screen is still spotless.

I have also had a full glass of coke and a full glass of tea knocked over onto my phone and no issues at all. Passing my daughter over the table. That doesn't happen anymore either.

I am very impressed with the X construction. It is a well built phone and Moto has me won in this area. It handles the abuse better than any phone I have had.

10. meckert15834

meckert15834 Well-Known Member

dropped mine from about 2 feet (naked) glass down and I have a big nick in my glass! I must have gotten a wussy screen

11. Doit2it

Doit2it Android Expert

But Will It Blend?

They've done all the iPhones, and the iPad, but no Android phones.
    I was impressed when he "folded" the iPad to fit it in the blender and you can see the keyboard still on the screen.

I'd add that I've never dropped my Droid X, but that's just asking for it.

12. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert

dropped mine once from pocket height onto my driveway. not really sure how it landed, but it only has some scuffs on the hump and that is it. I love how tough this phone is, while still feeling fairly light in the pocket.

13. rsgoldens

rsgoldens Newbie

I dropped mine from my lap on Saturday while getting out of my truck at the gas station. It had a screen protector on it. It landed face down and then I stepped on it!!! I thought for sure the screen was cracked, but when I peeled off the protector the screen was fine, just some scratches on the side.

14. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert

When I first got my DX I had no idea it had a Gorilla Glass screen. I went through about 3 different screen protectors trying to find that 'perfect' balance. Then I was posting about how I'd heard the 'Defy' had a Gorilla Glass screen and I mentioned I hoped that became a trend, and that Moto would start using it in future devices as well. Then someone posted that Moto had been using Gorilla Glass since the D1.

I was elated! So happy was I that I ripped the 'Skinomi' screen protector off of my DX within 60 seconds of reading that post! Naked screens are ssoooo much nicer that one's with even the best protectors, IMO.

Oh and I had an experience just days after getting my DX in the mail. I hadn't gotten a screen protector or a case on it yet and while taking it out of my pocket it went flying, face down (why is that always the case???) across the cement patio. And when I say flying, I mean it was like I'd gotten mad and thrown it! Oh I was so scared to pick it up... as well as furious with myself for not having it protected! But upon inspection all the carnage was limited to a tiny dent in the top left hand corner of the body, the screen was completely unscathed. I had figured I had just gotten EXTREMELY lucky!

Once I found out the screen was Gorilla Glass, it all made sense.

15. Pengwinn

Pengwinn Member

The REAL question is, can it stop a bullet like the EVO did?

16. ahaddad

ahaddad Newbie

I was walking in the mall and did almost the same exact thing, only not on gravel/concrete. The only diference is it was my first day with my otterbox defender case. My phone bounced like a basketball when it hit the ground haha, but was completely fine.

17. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert

That was the battery that stopped the bullet. The glass screen and plastic body of the EVO wouldn't stop an airsoft gun!

:p

18. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday

I am very impressed with the hardiness of the X. It's a phone where a case is really unnecessary and just adds bulk.

19. apavolka

apavolka Android Enthusiast

I have one dent after dropping it multiple times from my lap onto asphalt. It also only has I think two scuffs on that rubbery part of the phone. The dent isn't bad. Upper left corner on the top, about the size of the headphone jack... Maybe. This phone has lasted longer than any other phone I've had. I hated motorola at first too because their dumb phone build quality is s**t.

20. ahaddad

ahaddad Newbie

Yea, before I got my case, my phone met the ground numerous times. Usually when I have my phone on my lap in the car or something, and then I completely forget about it when I get out.

21. jroc

jroc Android Expert

I've dropped my X so many times, many times face first too. I used to cringe but not anymore. Like most of yall, the phone is scratched up on the corners bad. Its the only way you can tell I dropped it.

So many face plants... I can see 3 scratches and 2 nicks. Really, my screen shoulda cracked at least 2-3 times by now.

At this point...I want the screen to crack just to say "its about time!!" to my phone...lol

22. onesicktexan

onesicktexan Member

Attached Files:

ahaddad likes this.
  23. redgtconv

redgtconv Member

Mine is naked and I dropped it several times without any damage. I have a habit of putting the phone on a shelf in walk-in closet when i am getting clothes. The shelf is at least 6 feet high and my floor is marble tile. 3 times it slid off the shelf and fell to the floor. Each time it landed flush on it's face with absolutely no damage. Great build quality.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews