• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The8Pen keyboard?

Wow, lol.. I typed my first sentence.. It will take some getting used to, but I think it actually is faster than Swype. I find myself tilting my finger all over just trying to figure out where the hell letters are though..

I'm entertained by it so far, and say its worth the $1.50. They'll probably raise the price as it catches on, so I'm giving it a thumbs up.

There are also a ton of shortcuts for punctuation, smilies, and custom phrases that you can set up. Like for example, I say "Hey, I'm busy at work, I'll text you later." a lot, so Might set that up as a big "W" on the screen.

Upvote 0
Well after 15 minutes with it, this will be hard to master. The first few times it was very very tough to get through a five word sentence. It must be a mental thing, I knew what I wanted to type, but my fingers wanted to peck as usual. The pros: it gets easier the more you play with it (insert joke here) and it's fun. Cons: a very steep learning curve, auto correct seems to disappear when I try to select a word. So, not sure if I wasted $1.50 or not, time will only tell. What are your reactions? do you love it or hate it?

Upvote 0
It may take some time getting used to, but I think it may be worthy alternative for those willing to deal with the learning time. It will take time and work, but seems not too bad and quick once learned. For $1.58, I am willing to try it just to get used to it. I have wasted more money on less useful things.

-Nkk

Upvote 0
I love it when developers really step out of the box and create innovative solutions for real problems. This one in particular, though, will never make it. This will take days or weeks to become proficient. Your average phone user, or even your advanced user, isn't going to put more than 10 minutes into it.

This is very much like the Dvorak keyboard. It was a genius 'invention' that was clearly a no-brainer. Alas it never caught on because it required folks to spend time learning something new when the old way was good enough.

I hope they make it, but I'll give you 100 to 1 odds that they don't. Heck, the technology is so new and innovative that they might make a pile of cash just from curious buyers.

Upvote 0
As soon as you release your finger it adds a space. So to type a word, go from letter to letter without picking up your finger. I had the same problem and it is a mental block lol. You want to pick your finger up to see where the next sequence needs to go. If you leave your finger in the black circle and figure out the next letter it will form the word. Just don't pick your finger up till you are done with the entire word :).

Upvote 0
My thoughts on the subject:

Great idea. Im game for anything better to input text. I'll stick with it for a week or so to see if i can learn the letter positions. On another note, if swype could build a little more intelegence into it's keyboard, i see no reason for this because the concept is the same, never lift your finger when typing.

Having said that, 8pen has left a lot of room for improving this experience. Some suggestions I would make are:
1. create option to disable auto space when lifting your finger
2. keep spelling correcitons on screen after lifting your finger
3. Suggest words way more often. (i find myself pausing in the middle of a word to find the next letter and it brings up the special characters. If I could finishe the word wrong and have it suggest a word that is close and in the dictionary, it would save a lot of backspacing)
4. show the letter currently selected in the text box you are typing into instead of bolding it under your finger... what good does it do if you can't see the letter they say you are entering.
5. I thought this as voice input? where did that go?

I could go on. I think this thing has potential and I will stick with it for a while because im a glutton for punishment, but they have left a lot of room for improvement.

Upvote 0
Haha and with a manual transmission, Sounds like a recipe for a good reason to ban texting while driving everywhere.

Don't take this too personally 2010ZR1, but I need to get this out.

I personally have huge issues with people texting and driving. They are a menace to all of us just trying to get home to our families. I have had 3 near misses as a driver in the past 2 months and 1 as a pedestrian so close that they ran over my foot (but I was wearing my steel toe shoes). She looked up at me like I was the problem......and then realized that she ran over my foot.

Sorry to get off topic, but to all the 8pen users, thanks for your feed back on this forum. I was really on the fence about this, despite my grievences with the stock keyboard. I think I will wait for this to be refined and hopefully a free trial be offered.

Cheers,

-Sev

Reactions: necosino
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones