• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Themed ROM] NexBeast 0.9 (new update.zip's)

Kewl. I am still playing around with UD 8.6.3, then once I get that stabilized (or decide to revert to the older ROM permanently I'll play with yours. I'll see if I can get ROM mgr to manually install it off the SDCard, if not I'll just boot into Clockwork and do it that way.

Awesome. I am curious about whether or not it will work with CW recovery. I've looked at the updater-script for Koush's ROM, and it's a bit different than Pete's for SP, but it should still work. I'm looking forward to your result.

Heck yeah, nice market app icon! I wish I could do hi-res icons and images myself lol

Yeah, I suck real bad at photo editing too. Having low artistic abilities doesn't help either, lol.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this was asked

would I have to wipe my data to install this? meaning will I have to reinstall all my Apps ETC?

I have been running NexTheme 5.0.5.3 Koush since Thursday..

I think a user over at Alldroid said that he flashed over CM without an issue. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'm sure we all know that complications can arise.

I think CM has Facebook, Spare Parts, Maps, and Googles on /system, so you won't need to delete those. I can't remember if it came with wifi tether or not, if it didn't and you installed it, you should delete it before trying to install this.

This ROM isn't too different from NexTheme for CM. You'll lose some features like 360 degree rotation, but in my experience, Bugless has lived up to its name :D

Upvote 0
Also, carlz28 PM'd me a pretty cool looking Market icon, which I will be sure to incorporate into future releases. It looks like this:

ic_launcher_androidmarket.png

For now, I've made a MM that can quickly apply this icon. Get it here:

NexTheme-Market.zip

Thanks a ton carlz28!
No problem!
Glad I can help give back, even if its a simple icon, to the communtiy that has helped me so much.
I'm certainly willing to make custom icons for any devs or anybody who can properly put them into a ROM/theme. I've come a long way from a mere two months ago, but still pretty n00bish when it comes to putting it all together.

Hopefully others will enjoy it as well! :D

Upvote 0
Does this actually have signal problems like Fab noted in the first post, I want to try it but that scares me from trying it.

Seems like most people aren't having it. I might not have followed my own advice and did a PRL update (*22899) when I saw the bug, but I left it in the OP anyways, just in case others were having the 50% signal loss issue and didn't know the airplane mode fix.

Also, just to clarify, the bug is with the battery usage app reporting 50% signal loss, when in actuality, there is no signal loss. Still don't know if there's an actual impact on battery life or not.

Upvote 0
Fab,

just to verify, moving from Cyanogen/Koush, I will lose, Full screen browser, and 360deg rotation but will gain MMS right?

What else does this have that Koush does not? I am just trying to weigh out if I should switch, I currently run NexTheme as well, so the display will be close to the same

Oh yeah on the Update.zip, what speed is the CPU set for?

Upvote 0
Fab,

just to verify, moving from Cyanogen/Koush, I will lose, Full screen browser, and 360deg rotation but will gain MMS right?

What else does this have that Koush does not? I am just trying to weigh out if I should switch, I currently run NexTheme as well, so the display will be close to the same

Oh yeah on the Update.zip, what speed is the CPU set for?

You'll also lose support for wired tethering, though AdamZ will soon be releasing a kernel that supports it, I believe.

I think that if you're not having any major issues with Cyanogen, there will be little gained/lost by switching to the BB base. It's sort of a lateral move.

As for the update.zip(s), the Chevy version is 125/250/550/800/1000 and AdamZ version is 250/400/600/800/1000.

Upvote 0
You'll also lose support for wired tethering, though AdamZ will soon be releasing a kernel that supports it, I believe.

I think that if you're not having any major issues with Cyanogen, there will be little gained/lost by switching to the BB base. It's sort of a lateral move.

As for the update.zip(s), the Chevy version is 125/250/550/800/1000 and AdamZ version is 250/400/600/800/1000.

also MMS is fixed in the newest Cyanogen 5.0.5.3 if i had not flashed to Cy than i would be all over this, but as you just stated it seems more of a lateral move.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I’m new to this forum but I have been running BB 0.9 for about a week and it is almost flawless on my phone. I do know this ROM is based off the BB 0.9 but whatever you have done has made in next to PERFECT.

I switched out the kernel with ChevyNo1 lv 7slot 1.1ghz and enabled JIT. I have been running it since yesterday afternoon and have not had even 1 FC or reboot. This will be staying on my phone for sometime to come.

Upvote 0

so what is the default speed set for upon install?

Upvote 0
also MMS is fixed in the newest Cyanogen 5.0.5.3 if i had not flashed to Cy than i would be all over this, but as you just stated it seems more of a lateral move.

Thanks Fab,

so what is the MMS issue with Cyan/Koush (as you can tell I don't text too often) LOL

Seems like it was fixed in the newest release, but previously, you could only send MMS (picture, sound, video) messages, not receive them.

Upvote 0
Awesome. I am curious about whether or not it will work with CW recovery. I've looked at the updater-script for Koush's ROM, and it's a bit different than Pete's for SP, but it should still work. I'm looking forward to your result.
Just wanted to let you know. I used the Rom Manager to install this. Had no problems, cleared Data and Cache (which I do always) and installed quite painlessly actually. I even used it to install one of Chevy's Low Voltage Kernel.

Reactions: Fabolous
Upvote 0
It's not as difficult as it looks. I just wanted to cover all the bases.

Regardless of which recovery you have (I'm guessing Clockwork, since you have CyanogenMod), you just need to put one of the update.zips on the root of your sdcard (make sure to rename it to just update).

Then, do a factory wipe (2x to be sure), and install update.zip.

Upvote 0
I think this occurred because of memory shortage. When the phone call started, the Browser may have been killed, so that's why it forgot which page you were on.

I recently ran into a thread on Cyanogen's forums about deleting non-used launchers to free up some additional RAM (the other launcher will still run in the background even if you don't use it). I followed the advice and saw a few additional MB of RAM freed up by doing so.

For anyone who wants to try it:

Delete the Launcher you are not using
Code:
su
mountsys
cd /system/app

Then...

For 2.0.1 Launcher:
Code:
rm Launcher.apk

For HelixLauncher2:
Code:
rm Launcher2.apk

*This is assuming you fixed the scripts (using the code from the OP). Otherwise, you'll have to manually mount /system. Also, if you don't want to completely remove Launcher/2, instead of rm, you can use:

mv Launcher.apk Launcher.apk.bak

Should still have the same effect, just won't free up space in /system. Also, beware, as you will lose some of the wallpapers if you do this.

Fabolous, thank you for the awesome rom, and thank you for this post as I used it to remove a few app's I never use. I am very new to rooting and like to learn as much as I can.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones