• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Themes - working in Galaxo 1.6.3

N3maN

Feb 23, 2010
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any idea about themes with Galaxo 1.6.3? I grabbed a theme from this site (which has a GREAT tutorial by the way), but whenever i try to install one, my phone will not boot following the update.

I get a similar thing to if you have not restored GAPPS where the screen will just sit on the boot screen but go no further. I tried restoring GAPPS to see if that was somehow the issue, but not luck.

Any ideas? I love these themes and desperately want one! :)

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any idea about themes with Galaxo 1.6.3? I grabbed a theme from this site (which has a GREAT tutorial by the way), but whenever i try to install one, my phone will not boot following the update.

I get a similar thing to if you have not restored GAPPS where the screen will just sit on the boot screen but go no further. I tried restoring GAPPS to see if that was somehow the issue, but not luck.

Any ideas? I love these themes and desperately want one! :)
the only ones that work are galaxair and glass i think as those were the only ones based on jc6
there doesnt seem to be alot of people making themes yet as they are probably waiting to see if it gets updated again

Upvote 0
Here is a collection of themes I found that I have tested in Galaxo 1.6.3.1 all installed using Metamorph v1.9.8.5.

MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE INSTALLING ANY THEMES!

I did encounter some hangups during the replacement of framework-res.apk (notification bar) there is a warning because replacing this can cause force closing and other weird behavior. If it froze i just took the battery out and reboot. Im sure you can reboot in ADB if you dont want to macguyver a reboot like I did.

GalaxAir which many of you are familiar with. v0.7 adds 1.6.3.1 support and a few other things. This is one of the better ones.

gChrome has been converted to work with 1.6 I tested this and it ran alright.

Buuf theme which is FANTASTIC!! This theme has to be the best one i found. It is so amazing and looks so great! This is the first theme I found that has a font changing apk in it. I love the new font now. It looks so much smoother and actually renders better. I love it :).

If you have an old theme in the .thm format then the .thm to .xml converter will update it to a .xml file which is the only theme index file that will work in Metamorph.

Dont hesitate to try themes for other custom roms. Just NANDROID BACKUP before hand. The cool thing about Metamorph is you can choose which .apks to apply so if you want to steal the dialer .apk from theme A and mix it with the Launcher .apk from theme B you can do that. Widgets will break after the theme install. Just delete them and re-add them. I found some home icons will disappear too and it took me a few minutes to remember what apps I had where.

Upvote 0
yes, this is why i moved back to helix and made it a launcher replacement

Ah, I'll take a look at helix...just briefly browsed by it some time ago.

I also notice with the Buuf theme that if you apply the vending.apk, at least on my phone it made Market forceclose every time it attempted to install something. I did a restore and applied everything but the vending.apk and now it works fine.

So just a heads up there. :)

Upvote 0
OK, I have been looking at this again, as I really want a black notification bar. I can get this using the Metamorph and the DarkStar theme for it. As you can apply the framework-res.apk which does what you need and works fine, but you then have a black clock on a black notification bar. Still goes a long way to getting there. However to change the clock colour you need to amend the services.jar which is of course empty.

I do not want to use another one as the geolocation fix etc is in there.

So I am now trying to deodex the services.odex file, to then make the changes.

But when I build the new services.jar, the phone still uses the services.odex. If I delete the services.odex the phone locks on boot.

The jar file is fine as far as I can tell. having only changed one part of one line on StatusBarIcon.smali , not using a windows text editor that would add line returns etc.

The classes.dex rebuilds with no problems.

Any ideas???

Upvote 0
OK, I have been looking at this again, as I really want a black notification bar. I can get this using the Metamorph and the DarkStar theme for it. As you can apply the framework-res.apk which does what you need and works fine, but you then have a black clock on a black notification bar. Still goes a long way to getting there. However to change the clock colour you need to amend the services.jar which is of course empty.

I do not want to use another one as the geolocation fix etc is in there.

So I am now trying to deodex the services.odex file, to then make the changes.

But when I build the new services.jar, the phone still uses the services.odex. If I delete the services.odex the phone locks on boot.

The jar file is fine as far as I can tell. having only changed one part of one line on StatusBarIcon.smali , not using a windows text editor that would add line returns etc.

The classes.dex rebuilds with no problems.

Any ideas???

This sounds like it might be of interest to you... a services.odex file from Galax0 1.6.3.2 (with the geolocalization fix applied) with a white clock and date.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones