1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

There Will Be No 2.2 From Cricket For Ascend

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by joser116, Feb 10, 2011.

1. joser116

joser116 Guest

Folks, Cricket has formally announced via Facebook that they do not have any plans for Android 2.2 ahead. Cricket store reps have previously said they are testing it, but they are well known for feeding us BS. Who do we believe? The good side of this, which is hard to see, is that maybe they could be putting their efforts on the X5 or X3. Bummer. There is already a port thought of the Chinese version, but it is highly not recommended. There are still many things that can be built for the Ascend since we have the kernel source code, so the Acend will not become obolete for some time. But if Android 2.2 already came out for the Ascend in China, why wouldn't it come to us? But they have clearly stated that in fact there will be no 2.2 coming from Cricket. But hey, screw Cricket, maybe Huawei can release it for us as an SD update. All is not lost yet. Remember, Cricket said they will not be delivering it, that doesn't mean that Huawei can't release it to us via SD Card.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Lennatron

Lennatron Android Enthusiast

:((((((((:)mad::(:thinking::mad::mad:

Is somebody still working on an Android 2.2 Port???

3. BlastGT1

BlastGT1 Android Enthusiast

Yes, there are people on the MyAscend forums working on Froyo ports.

Lennatron likes this.
  4. joser116

joser116 Guest

Yes, a developer named Lubricant is working on that. There is already a port thought of the Chinese version, but it is highly not recommended. There are still many things that can be built for the Ascend since we have the kernel source code, so the Acend will not become obolete for some time. I have added more stuff in the first post.

Ladyswag and Lennatron like this.
  5. septembersrain

septembersrain 句_句 Smurfing Awesome

I thought that Huawei was the one who is going to release any update anyways? It will just have to be a manual update...

6. Ladyswag

Ladyswag Newbie

[/LIST]
    I really hope so cause I'm tempted to download the chinese version, but then again if it's not recommended I don't wanna ruin my phone.

7. septembersrain

septembersrain 句_句 Smurfing Awesome

All my friends who have this phone, Have tried it. They've all had to revert back to the original 2.1...
    :(

8. kgreendenver

kgreendenver Well-Known Member

I'm really sad over this news. But i will rock the Ascend until they get that new one later this year, or i may rock it more than that. I love this phone and if someone does come up with a ROM based off of 2.2. than i'll rock it for a year or so. *crossing fingers*

KOLIO likes this.
  9. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User

This is the least surprising news I've heard all year. Who would have thought cricket would screw over their customers? The funny part is cricket saying they had people "working on it". Yeah I'm sure cricket had their crack team of coders and programmers all over that. The only thing that surprises me about this is the timing. I thought they would have strung us along a little longer. That must mean the new 2.2 phones are ready to drop soon. To all the people who are upset about this: relax, it's not that big of a deal. Most of the cool features of froyo wouldn't work on our phones anyway. If you really want a change, get icarus. At least now I can uninstall the apps I have frozen without worrying about it. Still, another black eye for cricket. I was hoping they would prove me wrong.

KOLIO and kgreendenver like this.
  10. kgreendenver

kgreendenver Well-Known Member

Yeah thats the truth!!!

KOLIO likes this.
  11. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

I've got my moneys worth,just being rid of all the CricKrud has done wonders for this phone. Just gonna sit tight,enjoy what I got,until I smokecheck this "Little Engine That Could".

Jazziette likes this.
  12. BlastGT1

There hasn't been an announcement from MetroPCS like this, that I'm aware of. That means there's still a decent chance of a somewhat "official" 2.2 ROM for the Ascend.

The only thing I really cared about from 2.2 was Apps2SD, which I now have with the Icarus ROM.

13. Jazziette

Jazziette Android Expert

This post is not entirely accurate! Cricket DOES have a facebook page and this is what they have posted in answer to a question about the Ascend 2.2 upgrade:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cricket Facebook Page

[​IMG]

Cricket Wireless Hi Greg - We currently have a 2.2 update for Zio coming soon. Updates to devices such as Ascend from Huawei are at the discretion of the device manufacturer where one will be available and not the carrier. We'll keep you posted on any further developments.

~~~~~~~~~~~

This was posted 4 hours ago from the time and date of this post. So Ascend users...don't ditch your phones just yet.

:)

Lennatron and KOLIO like this.
  14. joser116

joser116 Guest

Everyone, I just wrote about what Cricket announced, that they had no plans for 2.2 for the Ascend, but that does not mean Huawei will not release it. Now, I did not say anything about Metro.

15. BlastGT1

Having the title of the thread say "There Will Be No 2.2 For CRICKET Ascend" probably would have helped clarify that in the beginning. Of course, since both carriers have the phone, people are going to think they're tied together. At least that's what I've seen across 3 different forums in the month or so I've been involved.

16. joser116

joser116 Guest

Well, the manufacturers hand over the update to the wireless carrier so that they could deliver it. But essentially, Cricket is saying that the update will not be coming from them, and like I said before, it does not mean that we can not get the update from Huawei

17. joser116

joser116 Guest

I just did that, but still, I clearly stated in the post that is was for Cricket. I have not edited the post.

18. joser116

joser116 Guest

Umm, I know they have a Facebook page. I also stated that the update could come from the manufacturer since it is not coming from the carrier(Cricket), so how is this post not entirely accurate.

19. BlastGT1

Aye, I noticed that, but I'm sure not many others did. I'm speaking from knowledge of how peoples' minds usually work.

Speaking of not having edited the original post, I believe that completely because I almost never see an edited post from you. Instead, I see double and triple posts! Spam much?

:p:p:p

20. Jazziette

Jazziette Android Expert

Two factors:

1. The title of your thread states: There will be no 2.2 for Cricket Ascend

- Please provide a link to your source for this as well as copying and pasting the post from there.

- Also, in no way did Cricket state there would be no 2.2 for the Cricket Ascend.

2. If you look at the post I copied and pasted from the Cricket Wireless Facebook fanpage you will see that the Cricket Rep stated that updates such as the one for the Ascend would be coming from the manufacturer. He never said there would be no update.

See...that's why this is so misleading and inaccurate.

:)

KOLIO likes this.
  21. joser116

joser116 Guest

Umm, I don't think that's possible. Well, sorry but it is not my fault that people did not see that. How do you know people didn't see that. I said Cricket like 3 times. Anyways, all I have said has been right, and I have proof of it. I will stop here.

22. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me

I deleted a couple posts as requested. I also changed the thread title as it could have been misleading.

My PM inbox is always open. ;)

KOLIO likes this.
  23. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

A whopping 17 posts have been deleted from this thread, 7 of them coming AFTER a moderator had already come in to clean things up. All Froyo threads are being consolidated but even that weren't the case, this still would have been locked. Absolutely unacceptable.

Jazziette and KOLIO like this.