• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

There's nothing funny about the Gulf...

hakr100

Android Expert
Apr 18, 2010
...oil spill, except, maybe, the shout-outs from the right wing that the "government should do something about it."

This would be the same right wing that wants smaller government, less government, less government control, et cetera, so forth, ad infinitum.

:D

That's right...we should trust the big oil companies like BP because, well, they know how to run their drilling operations and clean up after a disaster. Why should they be more tightly regulated?
alc.gif

Upvote 0
How many regulations would it have taken to prevent this from ever happening? Liberals believe gov regulation is the answer to all things, so how many would it have taken?

Again libs filled with hate continue to spread lies about conservatives. Never have conservatives said they believe in NO gov regulation. The lies are offensive, but from the party of intolerance little should be expected.

This is Obama's Katrina. Obama is responsible for this happening just like Bush caused Katrina - like many libs continue to believe. Ya think Obama should not have blown up the oil rig?

Upvote 0
How many regulations would it have taken to prevent this from ever happening? Liberals believe gov regulation is the answer to all things, so how many would it have taken?

Again libs filled with hate continue to spread lies about conservatives. Never have conservatives said they believe in NO gov regulation. The lies are offensive, but from the party of intolerance little should be expected.

This is Obama's Katrina. Obama is responsible for this happening just like Bush caused Katrina - like many libs continue to believe. Ya think Obama should not have blown up the oil rig?

WHAT!?!?!?! I was so taken aback by the content of your post it took me a second to recover. At first I thought you were joking.

Firstly, there is evidence showing that certain engineering and safety guidelines and skipped over. Enough to ensure that these corners could not have been cut should be enough I think...

Second, nobody ever made the claim that conservatives believe in no regulation. My statement was based on lines and messages appearing in many republican speeches and signs.

Third, I'm slightly confused by your third point. Are you claiming that Obama decided to blow up the oil rig or are you just making the comparison that Obama is responsible for this in the same way that Bush is responsible for Katrina? I will assume the latter as the first is just crazy.

In that case nobody blames him for the actual hurricane, just his response. Do I think that more could have done soon in Katrina? Yes, for example why did he wait so long to send in the coast guard? However, is direct criticism of Bush for Katrina unfair? I think so, it not directly his responsibility for that type of situation, as is the case with Obama and the gulf. However, I have seen criticism from that right for the Government getting to involved with the situation, which I find to be ridiculous. For example there was a lot of criticism about the quote "we are going to keep our boot on the throat of BP."

Upvote 0
Shouldn't we be focusing on the clean up and fix the problem? The damage has been done. We know that it was BP's fault. They admitted to everything. Even if the government got in sooner, we would be maybe only 2 days closer to fixing the problem. This is a huge environmental and economic disaster that should NOT have partisan lines. There's no politics behind this disaster... it's simply just people wanting to blame, but they do nothing about it themselves, like volunteering to help, sending donations, and so forth.

Reactions: excav8ter
Upvote 0
Firstly, there is evidence showing that certain engineering and safety guidelines and skipped over. Enough to ensure that these corners could not have been cut should be enough I think...
Yet Obama approved this well to continue operating. Why did Obama do that while skipping over regulations and cutting corners?

Second, nobody ever made the claim that conservatives believe in no regulation. My statement was based on lines and messages appearing in many republican speeches and signs.
Calling for smaller government and less regulation does not mean no government or no regulation. But this was the gist of the OP and often is by liberal liars...oops, I mean talking heads....on the cable news. Keith Olbermann even tried to blame the oil mess on Sarah Palin. The party of tolerance launching more sexist attacks. More like the party of hypocrisy.

Third, I'm slightly confused by your third point. Are you claiming that Obama decided to blow up the oil rig or are you just making the comparison that Obama is responsible for this in the same way that Bush is responsible for Katrina? I will assume the latter as the first is just crazy.
Looks like you got my point with that one.

In that case nobody blames him for the actual hurricane, just his response. Do I think that more could have done soon in Katrina? Yes, for example why did he wait so long to send in the coast guard? However, is direct criticism of Bush for Katrina unfair? I think so, it not directly his responsibility for that type of situation, as is the case with Obama and the gulf. However, I have seen criticism from that right for the Government getting to involved with the situation, which I find to be ridiculous. For example there was a lot of criticism about the quote "we are going to keep our boot on the throat of BP."
Sure, Bush can be criticized for the aftermath of Katrina - even though residents were warned to evacuate for days and decided to stay. Since they were warned of Katrina and had plenty of time to evacuate, I have little sympathy for most of the "victims" of Katrina.

37 days after the oil rig exploded in the gulf and the oil leak, Obama has done almost nothing. MSM ignores this and any criticism of their messiah is attacked as racist and any other wacko term the party of tolerance chooses. Liberals are completely cut off from reality. Everyone should be screaming for Obama to get his a$$ down there (he continues to fail in doing that) and see the pain of the people, the marine life, and the gulf in general. But I'm sure Obama will have Napolitano declare this a victory and much ado about nothing the same way she claimed the system worked with the underwear bomber. Reality. Liberals. The two are foreign to each other.

As for keeping their boot on the throat of BP, I think the very poor choice of words had a lot to do with the criticize of Obama there. That and the fact that Obama is the weakest panty-waist there is made the statement laughable...except that Obama is so delusional and probably does see himself as some sort of tough jack-boot thug that has responded perfectly.

Upvote 0
Once again... I was simply commentating on the general message by many conservatives/republican about "government always getting in the way" and "do you really want the government to be in charge of things," as this is one case where I would have liked to see more regulation, even if it cost the company a little more money to do things like they should have.

Sure, Bush can be criticized for the aftermath of Katrina - even though residents were warned to evacuate for days and decided to stay. Since they were warned of Katrina and had plenty of time to evacuate, I have little sympathy for most of the "victims" of Katrina.

So you made the statement that if Bush is to be blamed for Katrina, then Obama is to be blamed for the oil leak.

Here you are saying that Bush is not to be blamed for Katrina. Fair enough, I agreed with that beforehand.

37 days after the oil rig exploded in the gulf and the oil leak, Obama has done almost nothing. MSM ignores this and any criticism of their messiah is attacked as racist and any other wacko term the party of tolerance chooses. Liberals are completely cut off from reality. Everyone should be screaming for Obama to get his a$$ down there (he continues to fail in doing that) and see the pain of the people, the marine life, and the gulf in general. But I'm sure Obama will have Napolitano declare this a victory and much ado about nothing the same way she claimed the system worked with the underwear bomber. Reality. Liberals. The two are foreign to each other.

As for keeping their boot on the throat of BP, I think the very poor choice of words had a lot to do with the criticize of Obama there. That and the fact that Obama is the weakest panty-waist there is made the statement laughable...except that Obama is so delusional and probably does see himself as some sort of tough jack-boot thug that has responded perfectly.

And yet here you are saying that Obama is to be blamed for the current state of the oil spill. So your previous statement is either nullified or your being completely hypocritical. Reality. This point. They seem to be foreign to each other.

What is Obama going to the site of the Oil Spill going to do? Are you saying that his presence will magically make things better? He, nor any politician, is an engineer and certainly would not have the technical background required to solve this problem. I don't understand this argument.

Also Obama never made the throat on neck statement... However it still shows that they are exercising every power they can, which is limited in this case (as was Bushs with Katrina), to get the problem solved.
Even so, they seem to be criticized for it for exercising to much power. Then 5 minutes later they are blamed and criticized again for not having the problem solved.

You can't have it both ways.

Upvote 0
Once again... I was simply commentating on the general message by many conservatives/republican about "government always getting in the way" and "do you really want the government to be in charge of things," as this is one case where I would have liked to see more regulation, even if it cost the company a little more money to do things like they should have.
So your comments are above reproach and are to simply be accepted? Your comments are just musings and not to be taken seriously as points to debate? Good god, how are people supposed to know the difference?

So you made the statement that if Bush is to be blamed for Katrina, then Obama is to be blamed for the oil leak.

Here you are saying that Bush is not to be blamed for Katrina. Fair enough, I agreed with that beforehand.
Specifically, where did I say that Bush was not to be blamed for the AFTERMATH of Katrina? You keep dropping that typical lib talk that says Bush is blamed for Katrina when you say you don't blame him. Which is it?

The crucifixion of Bush began within the first days after Katrina, an event of nature. Obama has had 37 days of a man-made event from a rig he gave his blessing....and does nothing.

And yet here you are saying that Obama is to be blamed for the current state of the oil spill. So your previous statement is either nullified or your being completely hypocritical. Reality. This point. They seem to be foreign to each other.
No, you are putting words in my mouth. Like I said, show me exactly where I said Bush should not be blamed for anything. Come on, surely you can do that...or are you being less than truthful? :rolleyes:

The real hypocrisy comes from the lefties that still blame Bush today but give Obama a free pass and refuse to hold him responsible for anything. Man-made event vs. an event of nature. Bush was crucified in a few days after Katrina. Obama has had 37 days and does nothing. The left ignores it and blames anything else to divert attention. Like Olbermann trying to blame Sarah Palin.

What is Obama going to the site of the Oil Spill going to do?
It is symbolic, it shows he might be human and care a small bit in his elitist tower. Bush was slammed for flying above New Orleans after Katrina instead of personally visiting (at first). No criticism of Obama, even 37 days later. I am seeing a pattern here with libs....how about you?

Additionally, Obama might actually have feelings for people that are the salt of the earth and finally declare it a disaster area, making them eligible for federal relief. You know, since they pay those high taxes and all.

Also Obama never made the throat on neck statement...
Obama said he wanted to be held responsible (after elected) and promised a new and higher level of government. This is it? His regime made the remark. It is the typical elitist poor taste that always bubbles to the top.

Even so, they seem to be criticized for it for exercising to much power. Then 5 minutes later they are blamed and criticized again for not having the problem solved.

You can't have it both ways.
Oh, so you are holding me responsible for every remark made by any conservative in the news? Fine by me, I will have a LOT of fun with this game as long as YOU agree to be held accountable right down the line with anything and everything made by ANY liberal in the news. Agreed?:D

Upvote 0

Actually residents were warned only a day before that it was going to hit hard, not "for days". More than a million residents of the Gulf Coast region were told to evacuate, of the remaining population, 26k were left in New Orleans. Also, they didn't expect the levees to actually break. The breaking of the levees is what caused the massive flooding damage, not the hurricane itself. That's why there were so many problems in the insurance industry with people who had hurricane insurance, but not flooding insurance.

Also keep in mind that New Orleans had a lot of warnings before, but just like the "big warning that a huge earthquake is due for the LA area", there were a lot of people that just didn't believe it... or they thought it wasn't going to be as hard.

Victims of Katrina include people who had their houses destroyed, even though they themselves escaped. I hope you have a lot of sympathy for them. Are you only talking about the people who decided to stay? Also keep in mind, tourists are considered to be victims of Katrina. If you were a tourist in New Orleans and realized that you had to evacuate, what would you actually do? From what I've read, they were told to be in the upper levels of their hotels.

Upvote 0
Actually residents were warned only a day before that it was going to hit hard, not "for days". More than a million residents of the Gulf Coast region were told to evacuate, of the remaining population, 26k were left in New Orleans. Also, they didn't expect the levees to actually break. The breaking of the levees is what caused the massive flooding damage, not the hurricane itself. That's why there were so many problems in the insurance industry with people who had hurricane insurance, but not flooding insurance.

Also keep in mind that New Orleans had a lot of warnings before, but just like the "big warning that a huge earthquake is due for the LA area", there were a lot of people that just didn't believe it... or they thought it wasn't going to be as hard.

Victims of Katrina include people who had their houses destroyed, even though they themselves escaped. I hope you have a lot of sympathy for them. Are you only talking about the people who decided to stay? Also keep in mind, tourists are considered to be victims of Katrina. If you were a tourist in New Orleans and realized that you had to evacuate, what would you actually do? From what I've read, they were told to be in the upper levels of their hotels.

ACTUALLY....the reports had been saying for years that the shorelines had been eroding and that the risk of a massive disaster was only a perfect storm away. I remember seeing a documentary on this with much more scientific lingo then little ole me can regurgitate on TV almost a year before it actually happened. I'm not saying they shouldn't have been helped though. I have had tornado AND water damage insurance on my house since I have been a home owner and I live 5 miles from the nearest creek, 20 miles from the nearest lake, 2 states away from the nearest great lake and 4 states away from the nearest ocean. It was at best gambling without taking the odds into consideration to own a home in New Orleans without the proper insurance.

Upvote 0
ACTUALLY....the reports had been saying for years that the shorelines had been eroding and that the risk of a massive disaster was only a perfect storm away. I remember seeing a documentary on this with much more scientific lingo then little ole me can regurgitate on TV almost a year before it actually happened. I'm not saying they shouldn't have been helped though. I have had tornado AND water damage insurance on my house since I have been a home owner and I live 5 miles from the nearest creek, 20 miles from the nearest lake, 2 states away from the nearest great lake and 4 states away from the nearest ocean. It was at best gambling without taking the odds into consideration to own a home in New Orleans without the proper insurance.

I don't really understand how the eroding shorelines means that the levees were going to break. I know that's definitely something the general public, even myself, would not understand. Can't really blame the new Orleanians for that.

It's great that you have insurance on your house. I know that many people had hurricane insurance, but not flood insurance. I think that they didn't expect New Orleans to be flooded, aside from a hurricane, but that would be covered under hurricane insurance. Since the levees broke and all that water came pouring in, the insurance companies were calling it a flooding problem... so many people were downright screwed. I don't know how many of those cases were in favor of the people, but I sure do hope they were for their sakes.

Upvote 0
Oh, so you are holding me responsible for every remark made by any conservative in the news? Fine by me, I will have a LOT of fun with this game as long as YOU agree to be held accountable right down the line with anything and everything made by ANY liberal in the news. Agreed?

Hell no. Personally I think that many liberal talking heads arguments are just as ******ed as those of their conservative counterparts. However, you keep mentioning liberal hypocrisy where you see it, I am simply doing the same.

It is very obvious that this is going to keep going in circles. We can keep going at it but it seems that neither of us are going to convince the other of anything.

Upvote 0
Hell no. Personally I think that many liberal talking heads arguments are just as ******ed as those of their conservative counterparts. However, you keep mentioning liberal hypocrisy where you see it, I am simply doing the same.

It is very obvious that this is going to keep going in circles. We can keep going at it but it seems that neither of us are going to convince the other of anything.

My advice, which you did not solicit, is to not pay much attention to those whose forum "debate" skills were picked up by watching how Limbaugh and the Fox commentators behave, or who engage in calling other posters here names.

Upvote 0
Hey hey hey, lay off of Obama please, jeez, he's been so busy lately. Just two nights ago he was on an interview on TNT talking about the playoff's and basketball, how he watches most of the west coast games. Give the man a break about the whole oil spill and 37 days with no response crap, he's had more important things to do like watching the Suns vs. Lakers...

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Hey hey hey, lay off of Obama please, jeez, he's been so busy lately. Just two nights ago he was on an interview on TNT talking about the playoff's and basketball, how he watches most of the west coast games. Give the man a break about the whole oil spill and 37 days with no response crap, he's had more important things to do like watching the Suns vs. Lakers...

lol

Upvote 0
Also, they didn't expect the levees to actually break. The breaking of the levees is what caused the massive flooding damage, not the hurricane itself.
Yes, I'm sure the leveees would have just burst open even if it weren't for that pesky hurricane.

By the way, name-calling doesn't do anything to help further your argument. When was name-calling actually effective in an argument? Elementary school.
Point out where I called you a name.

My advice, which you did not solicit, is to not pay much attention to those whose forum "debate" skills were picked up by watching how Limbaugh and the Fox commentators behave, or who engage in calling other posters here names.
You made your usual claim, now prove it. PROVE that "those whose forum "debate" skills were picked up by watching how Limbaugh and the Fox commentators behave" got their skills from Limbaugh or Fox commentators. Your claim and I'm calling you on your slander. Put up or shut up. I hope you have little feet.

And your typical slander you delight in here is just as bad, or worse, than calling names.

After you are done proving your claim, explain how Fox commentators are any worse than those on MSNPMS or CNN.

nbxmxg.jpg

Plus Obama has that thug party in Chicago he is going to for Memorial Day instead of going to Arlington cemetery. He loves America so much!

Upvote 0
You made your usual claim, now prove it. PROVE that "those whose forum "debate" skills were picked up by watching how Limbaugh and the Fox commentators behave" got their skills from Limbaugh or Fox commentators. Your claim and I'm calling you on your slander. Put up or shut up. I hope you have little feet.

And your typical slander you delight in here is just as bad, or worse, than calling names.

The proof is in the pudding. You can call all you like; it matters not to me.

Upvote 0
The proof is in the pudding. You can call all you like; it matters not to me.
So you have NO proof. Just your hate and hostility for those that disagree with you. Just your sniveling and worthless opinion filled with the vomit you spew. Thanks for making it so easy to expose you as someone with no credibility. You make a great poster boy for liberals!

Upvote 0
My advice is to not pay much attention to those whose forum "debate" skills were picked up by watching how Limbaugh, Beck and other Fox commentators behave, or who engage in calling other posters here names. In other words, don't engage those here whose manners you wouldn't tolerate in person.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones