1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Thin Skin or Sleeve?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kylecummins, Dec 25, 2011.

1. kylecummins

kylecummins Android Expert

Wondering if anyones got/seen a thin skin type case for the galaxy nexus

I have the gsm version and i want to add a thin case that will provide minor protection but still keep the phone compact

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rulzo

Rulzo Newbie

Check out the Case Mate Barely There I just got it and its super thin. You dont even know its there if you look at it from the front only till you pick it up do you notice it. Gots good grip and all the right cutouts. I think it even fits and extended battery also

alostpacket likes this.
  3. kylecummins

In the reviews on amazon it says its made for verizon nexus which is thicker and the gsm version will feel loose in it

I dropped it today and put a few small scratches on the back plastic and really wish i had got a case on it sooner.

On a side not does anyone know anything about the advantage plus extended warranty through the source? The rep told me i was entitled to 1 device and 1 battery replacement in my 3 yr contract, anyone familiar with this?

4. gapi

gapi Android Expert

I go naked in my front pocket. A scratched case is just as bad as a scratched device, to me.
    I hate tossing out brand new looking devices after two years. But if your rough on em?

alostpacket likes this.
  5. ez12a

ez12a Member

I have the diztronic case which fits both GSM and LTE models...a great case imo for under 10 bucks and it does fit the extended battery, so you'll have no problems with the slimmer GSM with extended battery. The case itself has a slight elasticity.

It also covers all corners and edges which the Barely There does not.

with scratched cases you can at least replace them and not do any permanent damage to the actual phone. scratched phone bodies aren't as easy nor cheap to fix.

6. kylecummins

In can uh duh we gots to keep ours for 3 years, and i usually sell my old device or give it to a friend. I was planning to go naked until the full ghost armor kit arrived. But now i want to cover these scratches.

7. kylecummins

Got a link for this?

8. ez12a

ez12a Member

here you go:
    http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Fle...kaging/dp/B0065PGWQ0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

i may also add the thing doesnt get finger prints even with my sometimes sweaty hands. The screen protector it comes with is meh, but it's better than nothing until my XO comes in tomorrow.

I like these TPU cases vs. the common silicone. Seems to resist oils better and has more of a hard plastic feel than a rubbery silicone one.

It's slim enough that when I picked up the device on launch day I brought the case in my pocket ready to go when I had the nexus in my hands. Right after we went to lunch and he asked "didnt you bring a case to put on" and i showed him it was already on the phone. It's not as thin as the Barely There but it doesnt add too much bulk at all.

alostpacket likes this.
  9. reggie16

reggie16 Member

i have the diztronic and the XO case coming in the mail tomorrow. I originally wanted a case but now im thinking about going with a screen protector and no case...hmmmm

10. kylecummins

Do u find the volume ok without cutouts?

11. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert

I'm not sure if the seidio is available for the GSM but it is well worth looking into.

12. ez12a

ez12a Member

i'd be lying if i said i never accidentally pressed the volume buttons while using the phone from time to time. It does happen on occasion, and i agree is a drawback from the case. Sometimes when i try to lock i accidentally press the volume button as well.

alostpacket likes this.
  13. maquina

maquina Member

I have the Diztronic case and it is awesome. It's slimmer than the Verizon TPU case and feels good. I also have the extended battery, for this reason I had to cut out the volume buttons as the case pressed down on them all of the time. Other than that I love the case.

alostpacket likes this.
  14. kylecummins

15. Drudge

Drudge Newbie

What is the XO case?

16. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

I've done this with all my phones to date but I'm thinking I may just get a case this time.

I like the idea of a bit of scratch protection.

I dont usually worry about the screen but I use a metal money clip and dont always pay attention to which pocket I drop my phone into.

It made my nexus one look like it had been through a war zone. :D Not a single scratch on the screen though. My OG Droid looks similar heh.

[​IMG]

17. mitchg53

mitchg53 Newbie

I have the diztronic and don't like it so much. I am constantly hitting the volume buttons on it. All you have to do is touch in the area of them and they go off. I'm going to try and cut it out but if it looks ghetto it's going in the trash...

alostpacket likes this.
  18. soy.lor.n

soy.lor.n Well-Known Member

If you email them and tell them you had to cut out the volume buttons they'll send you a replacement. The down volume button is still overly sensitive, but at least my replacement case doesn't press the button all on its own. Plus I have a backup case.

I'm also using the extended battery.

ETA: the replacement case did not come with a second screen protector

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews