1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Things I can delete - Help?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Blazin65, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Blazin65

Blazin65 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    I was trying to download that Marsh Mellow update from Verizon and while doing so, my phone, Samsung Galaxy S5, told me it didn't have enough space to download the update and I had to delete some things. I've had the phone 13 months and I thought surely I would never run out of space on this phone. But I guess all good things come to an end. I did delete some apps that I never use and got the space cleared up. But just barely.

I noticed along the way that the cache had a volume of 5 GB. This is mainly stored passwords, right? Is deleting clearing up this cache going to cause me a major headache for several weeks? Or am I over exaggerating this?

So basically I'm just asking for someone that knows phones better than me to comment on some common things I can delete without causing to many problems. I'm not talking about pictures and music. Those did not take up much space. I don't take many pictures and have very little music. I'm talking about some apps or other things. I'm asking because half the stuff I saw I didn't understand? Maybe I'm deleting something I shouldn't? There's apps listed that I have never even heard of, but are they required for the phone to work?

Any advice or information appreciated.

Advertisement

#1 Blazin65, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. cmichael258

cmichael258 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 28, 2012
    Male
    Social Services
    St. Pete Florida
    5 GB of passwords? Seriously doubt it.

3. Blazin65

None

Aug 3, 2011
    Ha Ha. So basically I'm deleting 4.99 GB of browsing history and I just have to suck it up about the passwords?

4. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    You're confusing cache with app data. Cache is just stuff like images that the app holds onto so it doesn't have to download it every time. It can be safely deleted and you won't lose anything critical, eventually the apps will rebuild their cache files.
    Things like passwords, account information and so on are stored as app data and aren't deleted unless you do so from within the app or by selecting "clear data" in App Manager. This includes browser history.

5. Blazin65

None

Aug 3, 2011
    That's what I needed to know. I emptied the cache. Who knows, maybe the phone will work better now. Thank you!

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.