• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Things I want my Droid to do

droiiiiid

Nov 9, 2009
Here's some stuff I've wanted while poking around on the Droid since Friday. I'm new to Android (and smart phones really), so if it's already doable, please let me know how!

• a save current location feature
  • the ability to associate a location with a contact
  • sort restaurants (or other points of interest) by distance
  • have names popped up for all search results on the map, or at least 10 within the view rather than just the ones that are highly ranked
  • pinch to zoom in the browser
  • VOIP over Wifi
  • automatic shutdown of applications that have no reason to remain open in the BG
  • one-touch from home screen voice search of contacts
  • one touch voice search of nearby points of interest
  • the ability to easily hide/remove contacts from facebook/google from showing up on my phone
  • Auto-grab album art
  • differentiate between google talk, sms, voice mail, etc. notification noises
  • ability to save and open word, excel, etc. docs
  • manage multiple google calendars
  • manage multiple twitter accounts
  • map the physical buttons to some more useful functionality depending on the app (ex switch focus)
  • CRM software

There's probably other stuff. I'm sure you guys have some stuff too. Maybe we can help each other.

Here's some stuff I've wanted while poking around on the Droid since Friday. I'm new to Android (and smart phones really), so if it's already doable, please let me know how!

• a save current location feature
  • the ability to associate a location with a contact
  • have names popped up for all search results on the map, or at least 10 within the view rather than just the ones that are highly ranked
  • VOIP over Wifi
  • automatic shutdown of applications that have no reason to remain open in the BG
  • the ability to easily hide/remove contacts from facebook/google from showing up on my phone
  • Auto-grab album art
  • ability to save and open word, excel, etc. docs
  • manage multiple google calendars
  • manage multiple twitter accounts
  • map the physical buttons to some more useful functionality depending on the app (ex switch focus)
  • CRM software

There's probably other stuff. I'm sure you guys have some stuff too. Maybe we can help each other.

About your voice search questions tap the magnifying glass 2 times. The voice search dialog will pop up

Upvote 0
About your voice search questions tap the magnifying glass 2 times. The voice search dialog will pop up

Thank you. When I tap two times I get the search window but not the voice dialog. When I hold the magnifying glass, I get the voice dialog but it's google search rather than a nearby navigation search or a contacts search.

It's helpful, so much so that I want to be able to do it for hose other two areas too!

Upvote 0
  • VOIP over Wifi
  • Auto-grab album art
1) Go get the free app "Where"
2) Pinch functionality is supported by the Droid's capacitive touchscreen but the official OS won't support it. Wait until there's a method to root the Droid and I'm sure we'll get pinch
3) Look into a Skype app on the marketplace
4&5) Hold down the Search touch-button to initiate voice search
6) MixZing Lite does this, I believe
7) You will have to set the notification noise IN the individual app's settings list to do this

Upvote 0
in the search one if you have a contact and you say "call X" it will pull up X's contact info.

with TaskPanel you can set certain applications to be closed every 5, 10, 15, etc. minutes (don't know what the exact time frames are).

Both TuneWiki and Album Art Grabber will get album artwork for you.

Upvote 0
And two more:

When I get an email, rather than it saying, "myemailaddress@gmail.com number of unread emails" a subject line would be most helpful along with the ability to archive/delete/reply directly from the notification

Some input areas don't allow for voice input. I was just in the market, for example.

Upvote 0
Thank you. When I tap two times I get the search window but not the voice dialog. When I hold the magnifying glass, I get the voice dialog but it's google search rather than a nearby navigation search or a contacts search.

It's helpful, so much so that I want to be able to do it for hose other two areas too!

Yea my bad but with the voice search just say navigate to then whatever and let the magic happen.

Upvote 0
This is great. I'm exploring your suggestions now.

I'm in Where right now, and it seems to replicate (less elegantly) some of what you do through google maps, but it does have the advantage of a sort by distance (which is what I requestion). So thank you for that.

Anything else about Where that I might be missing?

The Navigate to voice command worked like a charm.

I tried "call contact name" and it google searched for "call contact name."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones