• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Things I'd like to see Improved on the Droid

eleven11

Lurker
Nov 8, 2009
I grabbed the Droid at launch - first Android phone, after 4 years on a Treo - I love the phone, but want to give feedback to further improve the phone (i.e. perfect it). So I've been making a list as I go along of things I'd like to see improved/fixed. I've searched most of these items for solutions, etc. so chime in if I missed anything or if you can suggest a solution. Also, is there a place to give the OS developers a direct feedback of my suggestions, or is this a good enough venue? Thanks.

1) Facebook Duplicates
Discussions on this issue already exist, but I'm still not satisfied completely. There are solutions, but some don't completely work, and the need for them at all is unacceptable. I understand that if I shouldn't be able to "edit" someone's FB contact info, however, I'm doing it on my phones contact list, not globally on FB.

2) Contact Pictures
Two issues. One, the quality of your contacts' images during a phone call is terrible. I understand low quality images can help system resources, etc, but at least offer the user an option. Second, I commonly have the wrong image appear when making a call or messaging someone.

3) Email Program
This area's problems are perhaps due to my ignorance of such programs, but I've been the most disappointed with this program. I use two accounts on this program: Hotmail, and a University Novell Groupwise email. Syncing/updating is a chore - unreliable and time intensive. The Hotmail is more problematic than the Groupwise account - I will get some emails, and not others. The Gwise account will occasionally show my emails from 2002 just behind the recent ones. I recently added the K9 app with mixed results. I just want the program to show me the X number of recent emails, delete them from the server when I choose to, and update me when new ones arrive at the update interval I choose. Seems simple enough. While we're on it, is there a way to use your folders on these accounts (I'm assuming this gets in to the Exchange level of organization?) Like I said, maybe my ignorance of this program is causing an issue here.

4) Save files from email attachments
By this, I mean without opening the item first. Instead of just a "preview" option, a "save as" and "preview" option.

5) Screen off during conversations
I haven't tested this extensively, but I'm assuming this can altered somewhat by adjusting the time of my screen timeout. Essentially, during a conversation of a few minutes length, I will lift my face from the phone only to see the screen off indefinitely. I then have to turn the screen back on, then hang up (if the other end hasn't already). Yeah, this probably saves some battery use, but it's going to be pseudo-off when my face is near it anyway; also, I'd prefer not to change my screen's time out.

6) Edit Gmail Docs
Is it not possible to directly edit Gmail docs without first saving/opening the document on the phones editing app?

7) Group messaging
Let's say I send a batch message to 3 recipients. Once it's sent it creates a new contact group for the collective 3 - this can be useful, for sure. However, the message I just sent doesn't show up in the individual accounts. Anyway way to fix this?

Again, thanks a million for the help.

dump Hotmail.

Actually, I know that's hard, so have your gmail account fetch the email out of your Hotmail account. You could do that for your university stuff too.

Your gmail account is an enormous thing on this phone.

You're really best to go through gmail and have it do the fetching, and not set up a bunch of separate accounts on the phone. If you use email like kids use texting though, you won't get the delivery speed with gmail fetching. I don't use email more than a few times a day, tops, and not usually for things that can't wait a day or 2.

Upvote 0
3) Email Program
This area's problems are perhaps due to my ignorance of such programs, but I've been the most disappointed with this program. I use two accounts on this program: Hotmail, and a University Novell Groupwise email. Syncing/updating is a chore - unreliable and time intensive. The Hotmail is more problematic than the Groupwise account - I will get some emails, and not others. The Gwise account will occasionally show my emails from 2002 just behind the recent ones. I recently added the K9 app with mixed results. I just want the program to show me the X number of recent emails, delete them from the server when I choose to, and update me when new ones arrive at the update interval I choose. Seems simple enough. While we're on it, is there a way to use your folders on these accounts (I'm assuming this gets in to the Exchange level of organization?) Like I said, maybe my ignorance of this program is causing an issue here.​

Ask your IT department to look at the new "Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack" solution from Novell. This will allow the current ActiveSync client technology built into most smart phones (iPhone, Android, etc) to sync to Novell GroupWise 8 and >. Your IT department can test this today in their test lab to an Android based phone and many other smart phones - see Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack Technology Preview

Once they get this installed, you can use the built in Android Corporate Email APP and Corporate Calendar APP in your DROID phone to connect to your corporate GroupWise 8 backend using the ActiveSync protocol. Steps to get this to work are outlined at http://gwguruman.fileave.com/DROID%20Setup%20-%20Novell%20Data%20Synchronizer%20 Mobility%20Pack.pdf

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones