• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Things my Hero could do without

themorgs

Dec 21, 2009
UK
Hi Everybody,

Firstly, love this forum and LOVE my Hero!

Just wanted to get other peoples thoughts on this:

Two things I think my Hero could do without
  1. 7 Home Screens - I really don't need all that real estate on my phone. I think 3 or maybe 5 at the most would have been plenty. I feel compelled to fill each screen with all the really cool widgets but I presume this will have some performance cost on my phone. I know I could use a different Home app, but I'm trying to use Stock applications wherever possible to reduce app clutter.
  2. Trackball - I hardly ever use it, apart from maybe some precision clicking on links in the browser. Does anybody else use the trackball extensively. Maybe I'm missing a trick here.
Thanks,
TheMorgs

I just sent an email and without thinking about it used the Trackball to navigate the cursor around my message... Looks like the Trackball might actually be quite useful after all.

I like the trackball, does come in handy for cursior positioning for sure. As for the 7 home screens, I agree, that's more than I need. But 3 wouldn't be enough, I generally use 5 and keep the last 2 free. I'm happy with that - just because it's there, doesn't mean we have to use it! having said that, I do like to know it's there should I ever need to spread out... :)

Edit - jimeller: snap! You could also use Apps Organizer, much easier to use than self created folders and looks nicer too. I love that app, it's indispensable for me!

Upvote 0
I actualy run a stock vanilla android rom on my phone, so I only have 3 screens and I still only use 2 (well I only really use one, but like you I feel compelled to fill at least on other up :D)

As for the trackball, I use it more and more to be honest, it does have it's uses, especially for editing text in the middle of a sentance

Upvote 0
As for the trackball, I use it more and more to be honest, it does have it's uses, especially for editing text in the middle of a sentance

Yes, do you know what, the more I think of it, maybe I couldn't live without my useful little Trackball.

@Brykins: Really?! What do you have on all your home screens?

It's interesting to hear peoples comments. Thanks.

Upvote 0
+1 for Apps Organiser

I think the trackball is useful for some games too; trying to use a touchscreen imitation of a joystick just isnt the same.

I saw a review which mentioned the Trackball being good for games. I don't play games myself, but I can see how it would work better than using the touchscreen.

Might give that Apps Organiser a bit of a look.

Cheers

Upvote 0
i suppose its a question of personal preference, and for me 2 clicks to open app (one on folder plus one for the app) is quicker than 3 clicks for apps organiser (one to open apps organiser, one to click on label, then a third to open app).

You do know you can cut out the first step in apps organiser right? You can put the label directly on the home screen so you don't need to open apps organisor first. For example, games/teeter instead of apps organisor/games/teeter. You can also have a funky little icon instead of a boring folder. But as you say, all down to preference...

Upvote 0
You do know you can cut out the first step in apps organiser right? You can put the label directly on the home screen so you don't need to open apps organisor first. For example, games/teeter instead of apps organisor/games/teeter. You can also have a funky little icon instead of a boring folder. But as you say, all down to preference...

I must admit I didn't know that about the label. Also, you are right about the folder icon being boring, so now I may give apps organiser another try and see how I get on.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm all for shortcuts!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones