1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Things of interest from the update....and skype.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Coho1, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Coho1

Coho1 Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    So I got the update this morning, but as I've been using the phone, I realize the battery indicator in the notification bar is different from what I am told by the battery manager under settings. Also of note, seems skype finally supports the droid 3! I haven't tried it yet though so no word on whether it really works.

Advertisement

2. Knitewulf

Knitewulf Android Enthusiast
    None

Yea, that was an issue even with the leaked OTA. The battery in the notification bar is a little slow.

Also you should notice an improvement in battery life.

3. Coho1

Coho1 Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    I haven't really noticed much improvement, but it's only been one day so I'll give it some time.

4. Coho1

Coho1 Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    Turns out skype works great on the D3 now!

5. trini.s2k

trini.s2k Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 4, 2011
    are you having issues with connecting to the pc? it doesnt give you the option any more?

6. Sneeky

Sneeky Newbie
    None

Sep 25, 2011
    Inventor,Designer,Teacher,Healer
    Chicago
    Havent recieved the ota, i am rooted, any of you guys that got it rooted? Am i just still on the waiting que? Idk not all that big of deal to me either way...

Unless the front webcam works with adobe air....anybody test this yet/ plz try and let me know, cause this is the only thing i really want

7. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    With the update, the D3 is almost like a D3 1.5, in a good way.

1. The device seems faster and I do not feel a need for the memory tweaks or app start manager to max performance. The D3 now does not appear to need any such voodoo.

2. Smurf effect is gone from flash pictures

3. Droid does not get as warm as it did before. All Android devices can get warm, but the D3 seems to run cooler now, in general.

4. Battery life seems much better.

I have rooted again and froze the bloat. This was IMO a very good update from VZW.

8. redsox985

redsox985 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    You can probably force the update by going in and checking for system updates. It's easily rooted with Pete's 1 click method. How do I even start Adobe Air? I have it installed but don't have a way to start it.

9. Sneeky

Sneeky Newbie
    None

Sep 25, 2011
    Chicago
    I just tried that, didnt work, ill wait it out a bit i guess, if nothing happens, ill troll around for it, not to worried, phone runs pretty flawless on its current build, other then the adobe air...

Its not an app you can open, its like adobe flash, and there is talk of special script for it to get cam working on another phone,but not sure it works for us.

Try any website that offers up webcam option, mine opens now with adobe air but dosnt work properly, purple digital fuzz, my huntch is that its fighting between front and back cam, adobe air does work rather flawlessly for single cam phones...really just curious if the OTA addressed this or not.

10. mogwai

mogwai Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2011

I'm also having issues with this. Nothing pops up on notifications, it only charges. Very frustrating! I was rooted, which of course broke after the update. If I find a solution I will post it on here.

11. mogwai

mogwai Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Update on connecting to PC. You MUST use your original USB cable that your Droid came with. Any other micro usb cable won't work. Although I believe that any of Motorola's newer cables will work. (I have one for a Citrus that I bought this year that also works)

12. beowulf7

beowulf7 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
    I disagree. While I have the OEM micro USB cable on my home computer to connect my phone, at work, I have a generic micro USB cable and it works just as well to connect my phone to my work laptop.

13. mogwai

mogwai Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Mine also worked with any cord before the update. I am only saying that in my case after I updated the phone and it quit working, the original cord is what worked. I imagine my particular update didn't go too well causing this problem, and I am sharing this so maybe my experience might help someone else having the same problem. Now my dilema is to keep my phone and just deal with having to use the original cable or to get a replacement which is factory recertifed and hope it will take any cable like yours does.

14. Sneeky

Sneeky Newbie
    None

Sep 25, 2011
    Chicago
    Ive noticed the cables not working too, only original moto cables work for mine as well, generics still charge tho

15. DeadChex

DeadChex Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 11, 2011
    Verizon MADE it so you can ONLY use Moto, or Verizon Cables....

16. Coho1

Coho1 Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    really? I've been using a Blackberry charger and LG chargers. I rarely use the one that came with it.