• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Things we generally don't have to worry about

rootabaga

Android Expert
Aug 11, 2014
Crazyville, CA
Like...getting hit by a meteorite...

"You have a better chance of getting hit by a tornado and a bolt of lightning and a hurricane all at the same time."

Full story: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ussia-meteorite-ann-hodges-science-space-hit/

64484.adapt.590.1.jpg

On a clear afternoon in Sylacauga, Alabama in 1954, Ann was napping on her couch, covered by quilts, when a softball-size hunk of black rock broke through the ceiling, bounced off a radio, and hit her in the thigh, leaving a pineapple-shaped bruise.

hhhmmm.....

i am surprised.. a softball size meteor ... strong and hard enough to survive the fall through our atmosphere...
going extremely fast....
crash through a house roof... most likely made of wood..
"bounced off a radio"????????

i would think.. it blew into and through the house... and made a small creator in the foundation a few feet into the ground!

Upvote 0
House in CT has been struck a couple of times by a meteorite. One girl had the rear end of her car demolished by a good sized chunk of nickle iron. Science wanted it, and they paid to get her car fixed.

Another man in the Blue Ridge area has been struck 7 or 8 times by lightning. He was a park ranger there. He survived the hits.

If you have ever seen a fireball, it is scary.

Upvote 0
Not sure how relevant it is, but we always see helium balloons released into the air for whatever occasion... but how often do we see them LAND?

I took the dogs out awhile back and just happened to notice something out of the corner of my eye. I looked and it was a white, nearly-depleted balloon, floating slowly, gracefully and silently into the tree in our backyard. It gently touched one limb after another on its way to earth. Finally, it cleared the tree, and the dogs and I watched with fascination as the balloon completed its flight and settled quietly to the ground. I picked it up, marveling and wondering where and when it had started its trip.

I don't know why this thread suddenly jogged that memory, but there ya go :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones