• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Things working with Gingerbread update

new optimus

Android Expert
Mar 10, 2011
Jax Fl
Ok thanks to the really smart guys here on the forum, koumo, hroark, shabby to name a very few of them, there are more just dont want to run out of room naming them all.

I used koumo's gingerbread update, used the previous work of those guys to get a kernel that supports ext4 has support for init.d and flashed dark tremors a2sd.
I also used the flash for our phone to sucessfully have flash working.
And of course rooted.
Wifi tether works, I used the latest version, be warned it states EXPERIMENTAL so if it doesnt work that could be the reason. wifi_tether_v3_1-pre100.apk - android-wifi-tether - WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.1-pre100 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

I would think the latest beta would work as well.

That is all I can think of atm.
If anyone has any to add feel free. Any questions, ask.

Something else I just remembered, deodexed system apps and framework.

What version of a2sd is working with gb...can anyone post a link to it please.....
I can tell you for sure the version inigo modified is working. another guy reported it worked right away for him. I am going to start from scratch and test and find out if the xda version works but I wont have that info for a while.

Reactions: alewis2k
Upvote 0
I can not get A2SD working for anything. I tired every version at xda and inigo's version and keep getting the same error for all of them:
A2SD script does not run properly, better do "a2sd check" in terminal emulator! Maybe your Version is below 2.7.5.2
Each time I odin'd the stock EJ06 image, rooted, installed CWM 5, then kouma's kernel, partitioned the SD card, formatted the SD-Ext, then mounted System and Data and installed a version of A2SD. I also tried updating SuperUser and A2SDGUI and that didn't help either. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it sure is frustrating not being able to get it to work.

Upvote 0
I can not get A2SD working for anything. I tired every version at xda and inigo's version and keep getting the same error for all of them: Each time I odin'd the stock EJ06 image, rooted, installed CWM 5, then kouma's kernel, partitioned the SD card, formatted the SD-Ext, then mounted System and Data and installed a version of A2SD. I also tried updating SuperUser and A2SDGUI and that didn't help either. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it sure is frustrating not being able to get it to work.
which kouma kernel? the froyo based one will not work. I have not looked at his gbversion you may want to double check that is what your running.

Reactions: SnyperTodd
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
which kouma kernel? the froyo based one will not work. I have not looked at his gbversion you may want to double check that is what your running.
I'm using his gbversion kernel.

Inigo's works great. Do not update the a2sd gui from his zip. I received the same error, when using the a2sdgui from the market. If done properly his a2sdgui should be in your app drawer when the phone boots.
His a2sdgui is there when the phone boots, but when I open it I get the same error message.

It works fine on Froyo for me, but absolutely will not work on GB for me for some reason.

Upvote 0
you'll probably have to remove some bloat from /system before it'll work. the system partition is nearly maxed out on this gingerbread rom so there may not be enough room to install all the necessary files. try removing things like thinkfree, telenav, maps, booksphone, layar, youtube... those alone will free up about 20megs. then flash it again and you should be good to go.;)

Reactions: SnyperTodd
Upvote 0
Yep. The Kouma/Optimus Kernel solved my WIFI tether problem too. Back in bidness.

Now I guess I will play around with the A2SD. It worked great on ShabbyMod .9 have not tried it with GB yet. I had a EXT4 partition that I formatted with CWM 4 I think. Not sure what is going to happen with all that stuff that is on it now that I am on GB. I think that Optimus said that his apps reappeared. Well lets see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for the help and for doing all the hard work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones