• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Things You'll ONLY Hear With An Apple Product...

Vipfreak

Android Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2010
I just don't care if I'm trolling... You just wouldn't have any of this kind of talk with ANY OTHER PRODUCT PERIOD... It's insane... If you can prove me wrong please... by all means try... Like smokers there's no persuading Apple owners...

Anyway, this is not edited in any way shape or form except for changing anonymity of names...

Sis: how do i put downloaded music onto my ipod since it doesnt sync
automatically? 8:27 PM
Me: Drag and drop the files into the "music" area. (I hope) 8:30 PM
Sis: i dragged songs into playlists but its only showing up in my
computer. its not on my ipod 8:31 PM
Me: uh... ask mom.... Apple kills me. I'll see if I can email you a
link to show you in the meantime. 8:45 PM
Sis: i looked it up online but i dont know what a source list is or
where to find it 8:46 PM
Me: In Apple world I don't really know what the source list would be
either... I'd guess that'd mean the music file where it's located on
the pc or iTunes . 8:48 PM
Sis: when you set my computer and itunes account you set it to not
automatically sync. so do you know how to transfer songs onto the
ipod? 8:51 PM
Me: yeah yeah, I know... the way I remember it being was something
like take the music file from the PC to itunes, then take the same
music file from itunes to the ipod...
Sis: my ipod doesnt show up on my computer. its not listed when i plug
it into my laptop 8:59 PM
Me: I'll buy you a music player...
Sis: i dont want a music player. i want to know how to put my music on
the ipod. i used to know how to do it but not since it doesnt show up
anymore 9:01 PM
Me: I suppose you could check ONLY music sync and see what happens.
Probably erase everything again...
Sis: forget it. i will figure it out later. its making me frustrated
and annoyed 9:04 PM
Me: Sorry, I really don't know how it operates
Sis: its ok. its not your fault. i just hate technology sometimes. 9:07 PM
Me: I seriously keep saying this but if you had ANY OTHER DEVICE
LITERALLY there would be no such conversation like this LITERALLY...
It's all CrApple. 9:08 PM
Me: I'll seriously, buy you a player that's just like the ipod in
pretty much every way, but will NEVER have an issue you'd have with
Apple... 9:14 PM
Sis: No i dont want one. Thanks tho 9:16 PM

oh yeah and...

fine%20troll%20dancing.gif

I had little to no joy with iTunes when I was asked to put some stuff on my brother in laws iPod. I consider myself technical but the entire PC -> iPod process was pretty painful iirc. For some, it's a totally flawless process though.

I think I ended up using WinAmp (not sure if that still works), that was one of the only 3rd Party apps that allowed access to the media library, you could see if that works for her?

Upvote 0
She figured it out I guess... just amazing the things that are needed to deal with that NO OTHER DEVICE would ever have a problem with.

Why did my iPod erase itself?

If I connect to another computer will it erase my stuff?

Then there's the whole "classes" at the Apple store... Really... ??

My mom does a DAILY ipad class (not affiliated with Apple). Amazing...

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Yeah, I agree, the entire thing is drawn out and overly complex. And why can't iTunes automatically update (pull in) music from my music folders? I think almost *every* other player does that. All the linux player I use, and the other windows ones do as well. maybe there is a menu option I overlooked, but dang.

Also, I quite enjoyed the dancing troll face. ;D

Upvote 0
^Glad you like it.

Sorry El Presidente, I caught on to what you were editing it's a involuntary/subconsious disorder that I say _ _ Apple I can give you a doctors note. I'll try to remember not to type it.

I'm surprised at the responses so far in the forums that I've posted I haven't received death threats (just a joke). Do I dare post this in a Apple forum?

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
She figured it out I guess... just amazing the things that are needed to deal with that NO OTHER DEVICE would ever have a problem with.

Sony, with the earlier ATRAC players and their awful horribly buggy Sonic Stage software. iTunes is quite good compared to SS. Fortunately Sony saw the error of their ways and Walkmans now work very much same as any other PMP, apart from Apple ones.

Why did my iPod erase itself?

It was having bad day.

If I connect to another computer will it erase my stuff?

Most likely.

Then there's the whole "classes" at the Apple store... Really... ??

Yup....and they're free as well. I think these are really lifestyle promotions and demonstrations, to get punters to buy more Apple products, e.g. how iWork can improve your life. or maintaining your sanity with iTunes. Same sort of thing when stores have those cookery demonstrations, when they're promoting a new blender or kitchen knives or something.

My mom does a DAILY ipad class (not affiliated with Apple). Amazing...

Probably not much different to some PC classes... e.g. how to turn the computer on....

Upvote 0
It was having bad day.

It's hilarious, and it happened to my best friend's wife yet... she still likes her iPhone... it erased ALL her shit and all she did was plug it in...

Yup....and they're free as well. I think these are really lifestyle promotions and demonstrations, to get punters to buy more Apple products, e.g. how iWork can improve your life. or maintaining your sanity with iTunes. Same sort of thing when stores have those cookery demonstrations, when they're promoting a new blender or kitchen knives or something.

Yeah, and sadly the sheep are all for getting suckered and having it up the ass.

Probably not much different to some PC classes... e.g. how to turn the computer on....

Pretty much... It's just hilarious it needs MORE THAN ONE class visit.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I agree, the entire thing is drawn out and overly complex. And why can't iTunes automatically update (pull in) music from my music folders? I think almost *every* other player does that. All the linux player I use, and the other windows ones do as well. maybe there is a menu option I overlooked, but dang.

Also, I quite enjoyed the dancing troll face. ;D

Remember, the entire iPOD system is a good decade old and they have not done zip to update it since...It is wildly obsolete. Apple is in the business of selling iTunes, not machines to play them on easily.

Upvote 0
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you own a Mac, going with an iPod / iPhone / iPad is not a bad idea at all.

If you run a Windows-based PC, I highly, neee adamantly insist that you do not use iAnything.

iTunes for Windows is quite possibly (solely subjective here) the worst piece of software ever written for a Windows PC. And, yes, I'm including WinME in this comparison....

I've seen iTunes on a Mac, it's not all that bad at all, although why she could not auto sync her music is beyond me - every Mac user I know has the ability to auto and / or manually sync at any time.

iTunes on Windows - please, do not get me started.

Upvote 0
I've seen iTunes on a Mac, it's not all that bad at all, although why she could not auto sync her music is beyond me

Looks like the OP's sister didn't set it up, OP did and he disabled auto-sync. By default, it's usually enabled when you install iTunes and that's probably what the sister is used to so the iPod not automatically syncing when she connected it to her computer probably threw her in for a loop.

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
And why can't iTunes automatically update (pull in) music from my music folders? I think almost *every* other player does that. All the linux player I use, and the other windows ones do as well.
Do those music players also come with their own music store? Obviously, Apple wants you to buy all your music from iTunes.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Do those music players also come with their own music store? Obviously, Apple wants you to buy all your music from iTunes.

Perhaps that's why they apparently make it so difficult and unwieldy to use your own music. I tried to use iTunes once for my music, never again. Made a complete mess of my music library, fortunately I had a backup.

Upvote 0
I knew better than to ever try to use it. I used to use a tag editor that, to me, was hands down the best one out there- MP3-TagIt. It had options for easily converting between the older 1.x tags to 2.3/2.4 type tags, but also included a 2.2 version for converting to. I did research - and found out that that is what iTunes used to use, an older, crippled v2 tag. I knew right then that I'd never ever use iTunes for my music library.

Upvote 0
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you own a Mac, going with an iPod / iPhone / iPad is not a bad idea at all.

If you run a Windows-based PC, I highly, neee adamantly insist that you do not use iAnything.

iTunes for Windows is quite possibly (solely subjective here) the worst piece of software ever written for a Windows PC. And, yes, I'm including WinME in this comparison....

I've seen iTunes on a Mac, it's not all that bad at all, although why she could not auto sync her music is beyond me - every Mac user I know has the ability to auto and / or manually sync at any time.

iTunes on Windows - please, do not get me started.

You couldn't be more correct.

On a Mac, the foundation audio and video engines are at the system library level, just as you'd find on any unix, but chiefly, everything threads through the Quicktime library / engine. The Quicktime app is just a simple interface to that, and iTunes is an XML browser that ties a GUI to your music library and the library engine. That's the whole enchilada. It also accesses the Apple store (read: authenticating XML browser) and iDevices (read: authenticating client / server browsing).

Mostly just works for many beginners and able to accommodate lots of hacks if you know the model and where to look to muck about with XML properties.

(That all said, like all corporate software mandated to have constant updates so people think that they're getting value, later versions have gotten more crufty, unwieldy, and less user friendly, in my opinion.)

Now - compare to the Windows version.

Unholy abomination. If software engineering were a religion, it would be declared the spawn of Satan and its use listed as a deadly sin.

A Mac-like paint job on an installation that makes no sense in Windows.

I have no idea why, but it is what it is.

So, with great acclaim, I say that you are 100% correct.

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
I was actually thinking it was the bane of my existence, in that my sister loves her iPhone, and now has an iPad 2, and yet still insists on using Windows-based PCs. And on top of that keeps calling me up every three to four months b/c "iTunes F****d something up - again."

I warned her and warned her that it was gonna screw her up and she was cautious the first time for all of 2 months - when nothing happened, she figured I was blowing hot air (and this was before my first Android device, so she didn't have that to use as an excuse either). Then it happened. Wham. She lost a lot of her music.

Granted, it wasn't a total loss, b/c back then she didn't buy a lot of music, she rather had encoded tracks off of her physical CDs - but she whined for a solid month about having to encode them all again....

Second time I was on the phone with her on and off for 36 hours.

Third time I warned her that I wasn't supporting that old POS laptop anymore - and 3 weeks later she buys a new laptop. Nice new machine. I used several of my TechNet keys upgrading her OS and Office Suite and such items on her laptop. And then she installed iTunes....

And the nightmare truly began.

At least now she is in Hawaii, and it's near the end of the semester for me so I can claim I have work to do....

But, yes, spawn of Satan is definitely being very mild compared to what that software actually is....

Upvote 0
Remember, Apple is designed "for the rest of us" - that's those who know nothing and don't want to know anything.

For those of us who are willing to put in the effort to learn a little bit, there are computers, cellphones, MP3 players, etc., etc.

Computers are the only highly complex devices that some people want to be able to operate well without learning how. Who would try to pilot an airliner without learning how to do it? (I guess when Apple makes them, they'll be designed to be flown by people who have no idea how heavier-that-air vehicles work. And they'll be crashing all over the place.)

Upvote 0
TBF we have iTunes on an old Windows machine at home & it works fine for simple music management. As long as you do everything through iTunes, that is, or remember to import everything by hand into iTunes.

But software updates on iDevices are a different matter! I've helped my daughter update her ipod touch and iPhone, and reliably the backup at the start of the procedure will fail (though a manual backup outside the upgrade task always works), the update fails repeatedly until you let it erase the device (and remember that the backup failed!). So we can do it - take manual backup first, copy to a safe location, ignore errors, let it wipe, if necessary replace backup it erased with safe copy - but I always wonder how the people for whom a computer is a magic box for watching videos about cats cope with this?

Upvote 0
GF: I spent my Friday night trying to download new songs from iTunes onto my iPod.

Me: Sounds like a good time.

GF: Yeah...they also raised the prices. Each song costs $1.29 now.

Me: You do know that you can buy songs in MP3 format, which can be used on any media player that's worth it's salt in the world, for cheaper? And those companies will keep a record of your purchase, should you ever have to re-download the song for any reason? And you can put them on your iPod, but you can't put the music you buy from iTunes onto any other music player?

GF: Yeah, but I like iTunes.

Me: *facepalm*

Reactions: Vipfreak and mikedt
Upvote 0
Me: You do know that you can buy songs in MP3 format, which can be used on any media player that's worth it's salt in the world, for cheaper? And those companies will keep a record of your purchase, should you ever have to re-download the song for any reason? And you can put them on your iPod, but you can't put the music you buy from iTunes onto any other music player?

Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. The non-Apple player has to be able to play AAC M4A encoded songs. Not all of them can.

I've got a cheap Chinese PMP here, plays MP3 and Ogg-Vorbis just fine, shows tags, album art everything. However with AAC M4A music, although it plays the songs, but tags, album art, track numbers, etc, are ignored. It just shows the filename and plays them in alphabetical order, NOT album track order.

iTunes Store songs no longer have DRM though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones