• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Think I soft bricked my LG Lucid... LG Logo loop after flashing ROM

Bobazonski

Lurker
Oct 5, 2012
I successfully rooted my phone today, and then tried installing the only custom ROM available for it, found here:

http://androidforums.com/connect-4g...oken-out-connect-1-0-w-blitzkrieg-kernel.html

I thought I followed the instructions pretty well. But after flashing the ROM, I got stuck where the phone would only boot into CWM recovery mode. So I flashed a small zip that "unlooped" the CWM. After rebooting, I got a screen that showed a graphic of a box and an Android alien, and an arrow between them pointing to the alien, and a progress bar. The progress bar filled, and I assumed it was configuring the new OS.

However, following this, it got stuck in a loop where the screen would be off for about 15 seconds, flash the LG logo for about 5, repeat forever. This phone doesn't have a recovery key combo, only a combo to reset. So I tried that, reset it, and all it does is show that progress bar and graphic, and then loop forever again.

I have tried a couple things I found online, such as the LG Mobile Support Tool, and the ADB (both described here: How to fix a bricked LG Lucid )

However, when I plug the phone in by USB, it will continuously disconnect and reconnect, so neither the ADB or LG tool can maintain a connection long enough to do anything.

I am freaking out--this is a brand new phone and I can't afford a new one. I'm in college and my old phone is 450 miles away. HELPPPP :(

im having the same problem as bob, so i tried using the lg tool, but it didnt seem to work for me. everytime i tried to do exactly what it says, i kept getting connection problems and a popup would appear telling me to restart the process or cancel. im extremely annoyed that i didnt come here first to find out that the rom wasnt compatible with the lucid...google was not my friend this time. anyways, any other ideas are welcome, or maybe someone could give me explicit instructions on what im doing wrong. here's what i do step by step: (I have battery out, and cable unplugged to begin)
1: start lg tool
2: click on recovery phone
3: enter imei number (s/n doesnt seem to work for some reason, tells me check model and msn again.)
4: when it starts looking for connection, I plug in cable, insert battery, and hold vol up and down + power to get into dl mode.
5: says it cant get connection. popup tells me to unplug cable and take out battery, reinsert and restart. I do that.
6: sometimes it gets to "checking model" then "checking s/w version" but then there's a different connection problem without a popup.
Does any of this make sense? I'm confused and getting aggravated, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0
ive downloaded the drivers that lg said was for the lucid. it was a pain because i had to dl windows media player for some reason, then after dling wmp the windows genuine check was out of date. but i finally got wmp and drivers installed.
about the rom being for the connect, you are correct. google was NOT my friend on this one, because if you do a google search for lucid roms, that one comes up. yes its my fault for not digging much deeper before proceeding, but i was trusting people on that thread. there is a thread on here that says do no install this rom. so bad me. but the problem was not the rom, as i could restore backup afterwards. the problem came when i installed shabbypenguins loop delooper. now i cant do anything.
i found an iso file for lucid stock rom, but not sure how to flash it to the phone from pc without phone booting. any ideas?

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I solved the issue. bdollar, this may work for you too.

Windscape, I appreciate that link. That opened the door to everything actually starting to work again, lol.

So anyway, while the phone was in the boot loop, I plugged it in to my computer and started the LG Mobile support Tool (drivers already installed).
Right after it verified software version and all that stuff and said the phone is connected, THAT EXACT SECOND I pressed and held all three buttons (power, vol up and down). This put the phone in download mode. If it doesn't work for you just keep trying, as soon as the phone is detected press and hold ALL THREE BUTTONS AT ONCE. This will make it so the connection isn't repeatedly lost. You will know you did it right because the phone's screen should say "Download mode" on it.
The tool said that there was no update available or something like that, so I went to the "Customer Support" tab at the top, and went to "recovery phone". From there, I went through the steps and let it do it's thing, it took about a half hour but it reset the phone to its original factory state as if nothing ever happened.

Thank you guys so much for your help, this was a lifesaver (and a $50saver too haha)

Reactions: xmr405o
Upvote 0
Hey guys, I solved the issue. bdollar, this may work for you too.

Windscape, I appreciate that link. That opened the door to everything actually starting to work again, lol.

So anyway, while the phone was in the boot loop, I plugged it in to my computer and started the LG Mobile support Tool (drivers already installed).
Right after it verified software version and all that stuff and said the phone is connected, THAT EXACT SECOND I pressed and held all three buttons (power, vol up and down). This put the phone in download mode. If it doesn't work for you just keep trying, as soon as the phone is detected press and hold ALL THREE BUTTONS AT ONCE. This will make it so the connection isn't repeatedly lost. You will know you did it right because the phone's screen should say "Download mode" on it.
The tool said that there was no update available or something like that, so I went to the "Customer Support" tab at the top, and went to "recovery phone". From there, I went through the steps and let it do it's thing, it took about a half hour but it reset the phone to its original factory state as if nothing ever happened.

Thank you guys so much for your help, this was a lifesaver (and a $50saver too haha)

That is awesome news!! I'm glad you fixed it. Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sure it'll help others.

Upvote 0
I got into a bootloop last night after I used the LG software to downgrade to gingerbread onto my Lucid. I thought bricked my phone, and stumbled across this thread. What I found is that the flash to gingerbread was actually OK, but I needed to do a factory reset of the phone with the new ROM loaded. I pressed the volume down button while holding the power for about 10 seconds. The screen came on asking to factory reset, which I did. The bootloop issue was finally resolved.

I hope this helps someone else out there!

Upvote 0
This one has the most recent replies in it.

I'm having the same issue.
My laptop keeps saying phone disconnected with the phone in download mode.

One guide on Youtube uses UPtest to convert cab to kdz and it keeps saying failed.

Another guide on here, says to use the LG Support tool. It has you put the phone in download mode without battery..I can't get mine to do that.
And when I do it with the battery it keeps saying battery is low even though I charge it overnight.

Says I can't post links...so..

Upvote 0

One guide on Youtube uses UPtest to convert cab to kdz and it keeps saying failed.

Another guide on here, says to use the LG Support tool. It has you put the phone in download mode without battery..I can't get mine to do that.
And when I do it with the battery it keeps saying battery is low even though I charge it overnight.

Upvote 0

can you preform a factory rest on the device then try again after that?

Upvote 0
can you preform a factory rest on the device then try again after that?

Sorry for the Double post above.
Was giving me trouble posting, didn't even think it posted.

I did finally get it to work.
The factory reset seemed to have no effect.
I did finally manage to get it into and stay in download mode. (by playing with it, kept putting it into DL mode and reconnect to laptop to see if it would stick (stay in dl mode).

Pasting a link here (will see if it works)
http://androidforums.com/lucid-all-things-root/689876-official-lg-lucid-optimus-exceed-firmware.html

Couldn't get any of the firmware to work using the YouTube guide which links to this thread (above) by sammyz.
Also when I tried none of the FW linked to the LG Site worked at all.

The very last post by noseph has a Box Folder linked.
In there he had a FW, which worked for my phone.

LG Lucid 2 - VS870 4G
Android 4.1.2 SW-VS87012A

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones