• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Thinking about buying the BN NC...

corybantic

Apr 14, 2011
Turn around...
I've done some research and I'm VERY interested in getting a NookColor and rooting it. I just have some questions: as far as using it as a tablet and not as a reader, does the NookColor deliver? As a current rooted Evo user, I would also like to know are there custome kernels to overclock the nook? How's the battery life on the nook before rooting and after rooting, that is, is there a major difference? Are Live Wallpapers supported? If I do root, can I still dl books from B&N or do I have to go thru their app from the app market? And, lastly, is the Kindle app supported?

Sorry for all the questions but like I said, I'm extremely excited to buy one for the purposes of rooting it to my heart's content. Thanks

With a custom rom:

• Battery life on standby is 10x worse, o/w is the same with use. This bug should be fixed in a couple weeks with the latest kernels (currently beta) tho.
  • All B&N apps are gone so only have market Kindle and B&N book apps.
  • OC kernels will bump you from 800 to 1300 and are optimized to give you better speed even at 800 mhz.
  • Last I checked some live wallpapers actually move too fast so maybe someone else can comment.

If rooted, you can DL Kindle app, but stock rom's UI isn't as nice and you have to use an app to emulate the missing "back" and "menu" buttons.

Reactions: corybantic
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones