• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking about buying this phone but...

I've been hearing that this phone doesn't let you download certain apps. It's not the phone itself, it's Boost Mobile. I've heard that Boost requested that the Android Market block access to certain popular apps. And if that's the case, then WTF, that's the whole purpose of an Android Device. If Boost wants to limit the apps that you're allowed download on your phone that you PAID for, then why make the phone an Android?

Some apps that ARE on the market but you will NOT see:

Ebay
Plenty of Fish
Gas Buddy
Google Docs
AIM
Netflix

Thoughts?

I've been hearing that this phone doesn't let you download certain apps. It's not the phone itself, it's Boost Mobile. I've heard that Boost requested that the Android Market block access to certain popular apps. And if that's the case, then WTF, that's the whole purpose of an Android Device. If Boost wants to limit the apps that you're allowed download on your phone that you PAID for, then why make the phone an Android?

Ebay
Plenty of Fish
Gas Buddy
Google Docs
AIM
Netflix

Thoughts?

Sounds worse than what At&t did, they blocked any access to unknown sources, but are changing that wit an update soon, I wonder if Boosts allows you guys to install unknown source files

Upvote 0

Ebay
Plenty of Fish
Gas Buddy
Google Docs
AIM
Netflix

Thoughts?
Gas buddy, seriously, wtf.

Upvote 0
After looking at my phone some programs maybe disabled because companies paid to have their apps pre-installed on the phone and other programs like Netflix just are not supported yet.
For example, Gas buddy, they have a preinstalled app called Poynt Gas Prices. Google docs maybe blocked cause of a preinstalled app called thinkfree office. Plenty of fish, they have an app on the phone called Hookt (which i assume really sucks). Aim..not sure why that is blocked. I am not sure if this is the reason why, its just a guess, but a root would sure help.

Upvote 0
Most of those you can use on the computer not to mention the prevail won't be able to run some apps because it's not a high end smartphone.
The prevail is about as good as the Optimus line, in a few respects better, in a few worse. The optimus can run most apps no problem. Flash of course it can not as it is not supported because of the processor these phone, the prevail and optimus have. The prevail should have 800mhz speed cpu which is better then the stock speed of the optimus.

After looking at my phone some programs maybe disabled because companies paid to have their apps pre-installed on the phone and other programs like Netflix just are not supported yet.
For example, Gas buddy, they have a preinstalled app called Poynt Gas Prices. Google docs maybe blocked cause of a preinstalled app called thinkfree office. Plenty of fish, they have an app on the phone called Hookt (which i assume really sucks). Aim..not sure why that is blocked. I am not sure if this is the reason why, its just a guess, but a root would sure help.
I understand what you are saying, however I dont agree with blocking the app for that reason.

Upvote 0
The prevail is about as good as the Optimus line, in a few respects better, in a few worse. The optimus can run most apps no problem. Flash of course it can not as it is not supported because of the processor these phone, the prevail and optimus have. The prevail should have 800mhz speed cpu which is better then the stock speed of the optimus.

I understand what you are saying, however I dont agree with blocking the app for that reason.

wrong, the optimus is actually a dual core. a 600mhz application cpu and a 400 mhz modem cpu, meaning all the big things like data and voice are all handled by a separate cpu.. meaning that the main one is free to clear up some space

Upvote 0
Basically they do. As stated, they both have the have the same basic processor, but the optimus had a separate 400 mhz modem processor along with a 200 mhz graphics processor. This actually frees up the main chip and allows the phone to run smoother and helps to prevent lag and freezing. Check out the review on phonedog for the prevail and click the link where they talk about phones that are better than the prevail.

www.phonedog.com/2011/04/20/samsung-galaxy-prevail-review-by-sydney/

Upvote 0
wrong, the optimus is actually a dual core. a 600mhz application cpu and a 400 mhz modem cpu, meaning all the big things like data and voice are all handled by a separate cpu.. meaning that the main one is free to clear up some space

I would not consider the MSM7627 a dual core chip. A multi-core processor is a single computing component with two or more independent actual processors. If you go with common industry practice, it's a single core chip because it's only got one application processor, a modem processor only runs the modem, and the graphics processor only runs the display. If a processor is only specialized for the modem or graphics, I wouldn't consider it a Central Processing unit but a specialized processing unit.

Take AMD Fusion chips for example. They have two processing cores and a Radeon GPU yet the chips are called dual-core not triple core.

On a side note, the Prevail bested the Optimus V in all but one of the benchmarking test conducted by PC magazine.

Upvote 0
Basically they do. As stated, they both have the have the same basic processor, but the optimus had a separate 400 mhz modem processor along with a 200 mhz graphics processor. This actually frees up the main chip and allows the phone to run smoother and helps to prevent lag and freezing. Check out the review on phonedog for the prevail and click the link where they talk about phones that are better than the prevail.

www.phonedog.com/2011/04/20/samsung-galaxy-prevail-review-by-sydney/

I watched several pertinent reviews. Good information. I knew the optimus had a gpu though did not know it had a modem processor, I can see how that helps tremendously.

I would not consider the MSM7627 a dual core chip. A multi-core processor is a single computing component with two or more independent actual processors. If you go with common industry practice, it's a single core chip because it's only got one application processor, a modem processor only runs the modem, and the graphics processor only runs the display. If a processor is only specialized for the modem or graphics, I wouldn't consider it a Central Processing unit but a specialized processing unit.

Take AMD Fusion chips for example. They have two processing cores and a Radeon GPU yet the chips are called dual-core not triple core.

On a side note, the Prevail bested the Optimus V in all but one of the benchmarking test conducted by PC magazine.
No I dont think it is a dual core by any means, just like in your home computer you have the cpu and then the gpu so a phone like the prevail that uses the cpu to do all the work instead of offloading to other processors it is going to cause some problems. I think it would be nice if they did do offloading like that. Oh well I have already bought it, Should receive it next week. I bought mine for one very important detail. 3G, a smart phone that has such a limited data path is not very smart as far as im concerned.
My metropcs phone is fine when im at home and have wifi, or at a few places where wifi is available, though most have censored access. If im at home I can use my phone but for anything I really need its just as easy, or even easier to look it up on my computer. However when im out, grocery shopping, or traveling and I want to look something up, price of items for example or maybe the best deal on hotels that 1x kills me. 3+ mins to load google, not to run a search but to load the home page.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones