• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking about getting a Note 4

thunder18

Jul 3, 2010
I have an LG G4 now and have had the Optimus G, and G3. I have no issues with LG phones and have had the Samsung Galaxy S2 prior to switching to LG. I wanted to get some thoughts on whether or not getting an new Note 4 would be crazy? I've always envied you Note owners and your fancy s-pen. Anyway, my G4 is on Android 6.0 and it has come to my attention that Sprint's Note 4 is on 6.0.1 so I'd probably lose out on Nougat, but I'm probably not getting it on my G4 anyway. Am I crazy? It's a new phone, not used so no warranty issues and I subscribe to Assurion anyway. The Note 5 with its non-removable battery was never even in consideration for me.

Also, if anyone with a Note 4 on Sprint would like to chime in with the network speeds they are seeing. I guess one thing maybe holding me back is the Sprint compatible bands as far as carrier aggregation (aka Sprint Spark) goes so I may be limited in LTE speed due to bands it wasn't provisioned with back in 2014. I've seen anywhere from single digits up to +100 Mbps on my G4. If this is something the phone supports, it would largely put my mind at ease.

I can get one for $369 brand new from Amazon. A bit pricey, but Sprint wants $350 on a 2 year contract for the LG V20, or nearly $800 outright. I could also add $33 a month to my monthly bill but something about the price just rubs me the wrong way .

Hi,

I live in Germany, so I cannot answer your Sprint questions, but there are a number of different Note 4 models which all have different bands that they support. Check with the seller to get the exact model of Note 4 and then check this website. Alternatively, just give Sprint a call. They may be able to help you out.

I have had my Note 4 for the last two years and would have a hard time living without a removable battery and the stylus. At this point, if my Note was to stop working, I would buy a the same phone again without hesitation. Also, with the early retirement of the Note 7, it could be that the Note 4 still sees some Nougat love, but I would not care if it didn't since I am still rocking KitKat.

Regards,
Eric.

Upvote 0
I also had the same decision as you about 2 weeks ago. My phones consisted of two Samsung Note 3's and one Apple iPhone. I had a home armed robbery, and had my phones stolen together with other home appliances - 55" UHD TV's etc etc etc.
Anyway, I survived the attack, and was paid out by my insurance company. In deciding what phone to buy, I always fancied the Note 4 with it's removable battery and SD card slot - something Samsung stupidly took away in the Note 5. I found a source of brand new Note 4's on eBay in Hong Kong, still with the Samsung seals on them, designated SM-N910U which is for the Australian/New Zealand and Hong Kong market - which covers all the bands we use here in South Africa, including LTE. It arrived in 5 days with DHL, and I have been a very happy camper with my new Note 4 that cost only $ 285.00. I have ordered several extra batteries and external battery charger, so I can keep a fresh battery with me when away from a power source.
Great phone, but just be careful - there are some very good clones out there. Mine checked out to be original and genuine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones