1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Thinking about getting this device

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by G.Armour, Jan 12, 2012.

1. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to.
    None

Jan 11, 2010
    Truck driver/ driver mentor. I train people to dri
    Georgia
    I have been thinking about getting this device but I don't know. I was told it has no place for external memory, if that's so, how much memory does it have?

Advertisement

2. kylecummins

kylecummins Android Expert
    None

Dec 11, 2011
    Union Member
    Canada
    The gsm has 16gb with rumor of 32gb soon

If your on verizon, 32gb.

3. gripweed

gripweed Android Enthusiast
    None

May 11, 2010
    I've really been enjoying it. It's big, but I barely notice it in my pocket.

The only downfall is the battery, but if you're typically around a charger it's really not an issue. I can do 15-20 hours of average use per charge. Streaming music seems to kill mine faster.

I think that's pretty much with any smart phone though, especially with how nice the screens are these days.

4. jikhead

jikhead Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Do you find that your OEM charger charges really quick? I have had mine for a week now, and it takes less than 2 hours for a complete charge. My Incredible would take 4-5 hours.

5. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 6, 2010
    It's awesome, get it.

6. hlsilver

hlsilver Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    Battery is average for a 4G device, but if you learn to work with it you can easily go a full day without a charge. It's fast, great screen, great phone overall. However, Samsung's build quality seems to be less than...consistent...I have had no problems at all, but some users were less fortunate. Even if you get one with issues you can just get a replacement if you go through Verizon. 32GB is plenty in my opinion, and even if you need more you can use cloud storage through apps or other services (Dropbox for example). Plus you don't have to deal with bloatware or Motocrap...

7. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    I love my phone. Battery life is better than my thunderbolt, and there is a rumor that an awake bug is causing worse life than its supposed to be, so it may get better with an update. Storage is not a problem for me, but that can vary from person to person.

8. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    The incredible was this fast at first too, but then that update was sent out and it took forever. Was the most annoying thing to me until I ran out of app space and got that first warning.

9. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    This charger is fast because it's a 1 amp charger. Many OEM chargers are 500-700 mA.

10. elitegamer

None

Jun 18, 2011
    If you want a truly great android experience then nexus is the one. It is just an awesome phone, not too mention a great design.

11. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Android Expert
    None

Mar 1, 2010
    USA
    The Galaxy Nexus is the best piece of technology I have ever owned. I've had it for three weeks and I still can't get over how much I love it.

Outatime and jbdan like this.
  12. CheriRives

CheriRives Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    Unemployed at this time
    Ohio
    I was wondering how your game/other app data transferred to the phone. From my understanding (and please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong) apps from the Android Market (free & paid for) will automatically download to the new phone. The same applies with Amazon AppStore. However, these downloads will NOT have saved game information or contact info that is typically stored on the MicroSD card? Right? How do you go about transferring THAT information?! This is really the ONLY thing holding me back from buying this amazing phone! My Droid X is taking a crap and I really need a new phone, but I'm not sure how to get this done.

I'm very much a newbie when it comes to files/rooting/etc. (I'm here to learn more!!). But I'm also pretty intelligent and can follow directions well... does anyone know where I should look? How to do this?

I'm concerned about letting the Verizon techs play with it because of a warning I read on this site about things they try to add-on... I believe the post suggested a factory reset as soon as you leave the store! So I'm left on my own.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated, I look forward to reading & learning more from the many knowledgeable people on this website... AND I really want a NEXUS!!

Thanks in advance, Cheri'

13. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    The best way to transfer your saved games and such is to root your Droid X, and make a backup using an app like Titanium Backup, or My Backup Pro. You can then copy those files over to your new device, and restore them.

The root forum in the Droid X section has instructions on how to root your device.

If you're concerned about the VZW guys playing with your phone, just order it online. It'll come in a sealed box, with instructions on how to set it up. Or you could tell the VZW guys to stop screwing with your device, but some people don't like to be confrontational ;)

CheriRives likes this.
  14. gripweed

gripweed Android Enthusiast
    None

May 11, 2010

I haven't noticed. It only goes on the OEM charger at night when I'm sleeping.

I plugged it into my computer yesterday to charge a bit and went pretty slow though. Seems like it charges pretty quick in the car.

15. BzB

BzB Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    i would suggest you do some of your own research on the device for specs, accessories, etc.

first hand opinions here (good and bad) are also best taken with a grain of salt since each user has different setups on their phone and different experiences. for example you'll see some very strong opinions about battery life and phone signal...

that said, i agree with what most people have said...it's a great device!

Tags: