• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking about leaving VZW for T-Mobile

That is normal, that is 3g though t mobile and att both call it 4g.

the umts is just a power saving low bandwidth connection when you start using data, and something on your phone does not just you, it switches to hspa

Now it's saying LTE while in my house. Must be my work building was masking the signal some so it had to go down in speed?

Did a speed test at home. 19 meg down, 9 meg up.

Upvote 0
Congrats to everyone switching over to Tmobile.
Verizon was a great wireless company years ago, but now they are to greedy and they are not Consumer friendly.

Their greed has built them the best 4G network in the country.

I feel sorry for AT&T users though. They are just as greedy but have less than half the network of Verizon.

If T-Mobile built up their network like Verizon, they would have to charge users a lot more than they do now.

Upvote 0
T-Mobile is rolling out it's LTE in incredible fashion if you ask me. Does it compare to Verizon's current network, not even close. But for many, though not all, it is just great. Verizon's Achilles heal might be that it isn't willing to negotiate on service plan price in areas where competition is legit. If it did that, they might be able to diminish some of T-Mobile's momentum.

Upvote 0
T-Mobile is rolling out it's LTE in incredible fashion if you ask me. Does it compare to Verizon's current network, not even close. But for many, though not all, it is just great. Verizon's Achilles heal might be that it isn't willing to negotiate on service plan price in areas where competition is legit. If it did that, they might be able to diminish some of T-Mobile's momentum.

Yeah in big cities like mine, Columbus Ohio, where the big four have towers everywhere, having Verizon is stupid if you don't travel a lot. And even if you travel, T-Mobile lets you use other peoples cell towers with no additional cost. Sure you won't get high speed data but at least you have phone service.

I'm wifi 95% of the time anyways (home and work) so I don't even use that much. From Jan 19 to now I've used 132 megs of data while my wifi data usage from Jan 19 to now is over 2 GB.

Upvote 0
I was a LONG time Verizon customer, more than 10 years but I just made the switch to T-Mobile. Verizon could have kept me easily, all I wanted to do was upgrade my phone, I had a year left on my contract, I wanted to do their Edge program but I was told that I had to wait until my contract was up. So new customers get rewarded and your loyal customers can't participate???

The T-Mobile deal was almost too good to be true. I live in NYC and the signal here is strong and the data is faster than Verizon! Now I realize in some areas the signal won't be as strong or even non-existant but if you live in an area where they have LTE it's a no brainer. And I am now rocking a brand new Nexus 5 and unlimited data.

Upvote 0
You need to look at the about phone information, many pure android roms are putting 4g up for lte but most tmobile/att are still using 4g to mean hspa, they use 4gLTE for lte.

This was with my systemui.apk edited so 4glte would show in the status bar
Screenshot_2013-07-16-06-53-12.png

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to do a little more testing before responding.

Indeed you are right......4G = HASP+ on my phone. Used your suggestion to check. I do get the 4G LTE designation in the status bar when I have LTE. Seems everywhere except in my house. No biggie since I'm on WiFi when I'm at home.

Appreciate the guidance.

Reactions: new optimus
Upvote 0
On Sunday I activated a Nexus 5 from the T-Mobile store and have been very satisfied with data speeds. I will be heading back to port my Verizon number over this weekend at the latest. Only thing I will really miss is my Motorola Droid Razr Maxx's battery.

The maxx HD or the original because a couple of them droids will get H+

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones