• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Thinking About Rooting...

Alright, so my build number is 2.11.573.5 CL325935 release-keys

So what does knowing this change things. Do i need to download a certain version of unrevoked that matches my build number.

And, I'm on campus without my laptop, so the hboot info will have to wait till tonight.

Upvote 0
Okay, so I can't figure out how to see my erase size, So I think I may just use AlphaRev, just in case. Or, can I just hope it's okay, just use Revoked, and if it doesn't work, try again with AlphaRev?

Also, I created a GoldCard using the guide you just put up in your FAQ. Very easy to do.

EDIT: Scratch that! So, apparently sdb shell was moved to platform-tools, not tools. But anyways....Good News, my erase size is 20000 YAY!

Upvote 0
You did the hboot drivers bit yes? HTC sync has also been installed and uninstalled?

I did the hboot drivers bit. As far as I know. Went exactly like it did in the unlockr video. And Htc sync was previously installed because I needed when I upgraded to 2.2

Though, I saw three htc things I could uninstall, and I uninstalled all of them. Should I only have uninstalled sync?

Upvote 0
Still Nothing......reinstalled, then uninstalled.

I tried going back to see if I miss anything. I went back to the decvice manage while on the hboot screen, but now it doesn't show up under other devises, android 1.0, but it's now at the top and under Android or something like that.

I'm getting frustrated, but don't want to give up.

Upvote 0
Apologies if this is being obvious, but three things that I did a bit wrong and/or was unclear on that might help you...

(a) ensure you have removed HTC Sync from your phone too - so check in applications under All, and see if it's there. If it is, uninstall it.

(b) ensure that you have enough internal memory - I needed to uninstall a few apps first (but none of the warnings were clear that it was an issue!)

(c) when you install HTC Sync on the PC, when you uninstall it - go into the Control Panel to do this, not just from the menu system - this is the way to ensure you leave the drivers behind because they are separate in the 'add/remove programs' part in control panel (this is assuming you have Windows...)

Not sure if this will help, but it might...

Also I found that just using another usb port on my laptop helped, once I corrected the above, and then started from scratch - using a new USB socket helped solved the issues...

Just a few things to try. Good luck, dude. Keep the faith. The people on this forum generally will end up seeing you right...

Upvote 0
Apologies if this is being obvious, but three things that I did a bit wrong and/or was unclear on that might help you...

(a) ensure you have removed HTC Sync from your phone too - so check in applications under All, and see if it's there. If it is, uninstall it.

(b) ensure that you have enough internal memory - I needed to uninstall a few apps first (but none of the warnings were clear that it was an issue!)

(c) when you install HTC Sync on the PC, when you uninstall it - go into the Control Panel to do this, not just from the menu system - this is the way to ensure you leave the drivers behind because they are separate in the 'add/remove programs' part in control panel (this is assuming you have Windows...)

Not sure if this will help, but it might...

Also I found that just using another usb port on my laptop helped, once I corrected the above, and then started from scratch - using a new USB socket helped solved the issues...

Just a few things to try. Good luck, dude. Keep the faith. The people on this forum generally will end up seeing you right...

Thanks for the tips, I didn't uninstall sync from the phone. I'm out of town for the weekend, so its going to have to wait till sunday night prob. But I want to know is why my phone doesn't show up on other devices-Android 1.0 anymore. When I installed the bootloader, it was there, just like the directions said. But now when I go back it's not there anymore. Is that normal after installing the bootloader?

Upvote 0
Yes, exactly what happened to mine, so you're no different - don't think you're so unique (hahaha!). Not quite worked out the 'pattern', but what it shows in device manager depends on what state (e.g. in recovery, simply on the operating system, etc) the phone is in when connected to PC.

Okay, so that means I atleast prob installed the bootloader correctly.

Upvote 0
Bloody hell.
Just had a quick scan through this topic as I feel the exact same way as the OP, but I don't think I understand a single thing about this...

I looked over several guides how to root the Desire, but every single one of them at some points starts talking about stuff I haven't the faintest clue about.

My phone is unlocked, but still branded by 02 Ireland.

Upvote 0
Bloody hell.
Just had a quick scan through this topic as I feel the exact same way as the OP, but I don't think I understand a single thing about this...

I looked over several guides how to root the Desire, but every single one of them at some points starts talking about stuff I haven't the faintest clue about.

My phone is unlocked, but still branded by 02 Ireland.

Just keep reading...and reading....and reading. Usually the same stuff over and over again. It will slowly start to make sense.

Upvote 0
Well, I decided to try it, I followed the unrevoked how-to, up to the point where it says to run the reflash application on your computer, but that doesn't seem to find my phone ?
I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in several times.
Apparently it's necessary to give the PVT number, so PVT3 seems to be what I have (phone us currently in HBOOT) :)

I tried using unrevoked 3.21 but same issue though, do I need to fully start up the phone or keep it in HBOOT ?
I didn't do the step to install HTC Sync though (I never had it in the first place).

edit: When I try to go in Recovery modem from the HBOOT screen it gives me this picture of the phone with a red triangle and exclamation mark next to it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones