1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Thinking about switching from the Galaxy S3...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tdse, Nov 1, 2012.

1. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    NH, USA
    Anyone want to convince me to make the jump - or convince me not to?

I bought the S3 at release. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic phone. I love it...when I have reception. Unfortunately, in my house, and within about 500' of my house, I have none.
    Never had the issue with my Droid X. My son does not have the same issue with his Droid 4. After numerous calls to Verizon, (including a replacement S3 within the original 14-day window), they have admitted that they are aware of "issues" with the radio on the S3, and are working with Samsung toward a fix.
    No ETA, and I can't wait. This became most evident over the last few days during the hurricane. We lost cable (tv/internet/phone). I could not use my S3 as a "phone", since it's really only functional (at my house) with wifi. I had to literally drive away from my house to make calls, or get data/updates on the storm. Frustrating. I also work from home. In the past (with my X), when we lost cable, I would use the mobile hotspot to connect, and continue working without a hitch. No such luck with the S3 - not enough reception for the hotspot to function.

From what I've read, the Motorola radios are superior to the Samsung. I'm thinking of switching to the Razr Maxx HD off contract.

Just looking for some feedback before I make the jump. What do you love/hate about the Razr Maxx HD? Any thoughts on reception - in areas with typically poor reception?

Thank you!

Advertisement

2. tbhausen

tbhausen Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Male
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think you just answered your own question ;) Samsung phones have a history of inferior radios, and Motorolas hands-down peroform better on US CDMA networks. If your phone doesn't perform well on the network when and where you need it most, what good is it? Sell the S3 to someone in very good coverage and get a HD (or preferably, MAXX HD). You won't regret it.

As for the MAXX HD, I've found nothing not to like about it (and I'm one picky SOB).

jroc and tdse like this.
  3. BigBruDa3rd

BigBruDa3rd Well-Known Member
    None

For what u need going with the RHD or RHD MAXX is a simple choice. But be warned coming from a S3 myself (RAZR slim and DX before that) you will see the difference in screen size. The RHD has a 4.7 inch screen which only 4.3 inches is viewable screen because of the onscreen buttons. S3 uses all 4.8 with physical buttons so the screen difference is a lot. I'm getting use to it now but I miss that big screen it was the perfect size for everything.

tdse likes this.
  4. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    NH, USA
    Appreciate the feedback & the tip about the screen size / onscreen buttons. I don't think it's a deal breaker, but I appreciate the head's up. Looking forward to having a phone that I can actually use. :)

5. ALurker

ALurker Well-Known Member
    None

May 23, 2010
    SE Pa
    I agree with this 100%. I had planned on getting the Maxx HD when it came out but instead I bought a brand new S3 for $200 less than I could find a Maxx HD. Unfortunately there are a few things I dislike enough about the S3 that make me want to go back to Motorola. The ONLY major thing the S3 has over the HD is screen size, but it is really noticeable. The HD would be an almost perfect phone for me if it weren't for those on screen buttons.

tdse likes this.
  6. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    I live n work in a bad reception area....and my Moto phones always did better. Samsung historically hasnt been good for me. This dates back to 2007, 2008. Thats before Android even came out...lol.

It is what it is....if you need a phone to work ok, decent in a bad reception area...I will always recommend a Motorola phone if its Moto vs Samsung.

tdse likes this.
  7. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Key reasons staying with GS3:

Display on the G is better due to more size and all is available for app use.

Playing games on the HD is awkward compared to the G. The nav bar is too close to the control areas for games tested.

Replaceable battery

Camera is all lot better

Like having the home button as option to wake the device

I see no difference in reception compared to my Razr

That is it really. Biggest weight for me is the display points.

8. Dnomac

Dnomac Newbie
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    I have to admit, I'm on the fence, but your points are convincing. When I played with both in the store, I was drawn to the Moto, but the GS3 is still keeping me from pulling the trigger. At this point, I almost feel like waiting until the next line rolls out. Quad-core is just around the corner anyways...

9. dguy

dguy Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    Razr Maxx HD is basically a Galaxy S3 with better reception, significantly better build quality, and massively better battery life. Almost no reason whatsoever to even get an S3 on Verizon now because the S3 and HD are the same price. Nuff said

10. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    Well....what I dont like about my Maxx HD is the on screen keys. Playing games, I still hit them like capacitive keys.

I really do miss my Droid X hard keys....lol. Waiting patiently for on screen key mods to make them go away.

drpotter2807 likes this.
  11. Black05Hemi

Black05Hemi Lurker
    None

Aug 10, 2012
    I came from the S3...I love the HD, but I have to say I don't notice much difference with battery life. No, I don't have power saver turned on either. The HD feels better, tougher in my hands. Like it can take a beating. The S3 felt fragile, just waiting to be dropped, and broken. I wish the HD had 2gb Ram like the S3, but everything i've read says 1gb is plenty. I guess the camera on the S3 is better, but I really don't care.

12. Extr3m1st

Extr3m1st Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 12, 2009

When watching a movie on the RHD doesn't the buttons disappear and the screen is full edge to edge with the movie? I just seen a video of someone watching a movie with the RHD and the full screen was all movie.

13. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    It does. On Netflix, I had to put the screen in full screen mode or wait till it went full screen.

I guess its for ppl that want the more screen real estate for the home screens, pics and some other things. The buttons disappear when looking in the Gallery, but the space is still taken up with the button place markers.

Extr3m1st likes this.
  14. Ag76

Ag76 Member
    None

Oct 19, 2012
    I'm interested in the Galaxy Note 2, but since I work in a Verizon area that gets a weak signal, I'm thinking I should go with the Razr Maxx HD as jroc suggests.

15. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    NH, USA
    I appreciate everyone's feedback. I made the jump and got the Razr Maxx - here are my initial impressions:

The phone itself feels much more solidly built - I like the styling better than the S3. That's personal preference, though. The Razr Maxx is a bit more Droid X-esque - square-ish, solid, a bit heavier than the S3. Not a bad solid though. It's not "heavy", just feels less fragile. I like the styling better, the S3 always felt a bit "girly" to me (I can say that, since I am a girl, lol).

Reception is definitely better. I can send a text, or hold a call from inside my home (with the S3, I had to walk out into the middle of my back yard). And most importantly, the mobile hotspot works from *inside* my house, so I can work during a power/cable outage.

Battery life is definitely better. I haven't dabbled with the Smart Actions yet (which look pretty cool), but it's definitely better. Maybe because the S3 was constantly searching for a signal - that could have drained the battery as well.

Regarding the concerns that people posted (on screen keys, non-removable battery) - I don't typically play games on my phone, and they seem to disappear when I use Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc.

Non-removable battery. When I was shopping for phones, I thought this would be a deal breaker. I travel a lot, and it's not always easy to charge a phone being on a plane or running through airports. I think the battery life (potentially combined with the power saving action) will negate this worry, but I also have this: Amazon.com: Vaas 5000mAh Dual Port External Rechargeable Battery Pack VM50BK for all iPad, iPhone, iPod, Android, PSP - Black: Computers & Accessories which should give me at least 1, if not 2 extra charges.

Overall, I think it's probably a matter of personal preference, and if you live in a poor reception area like me, the radio might make the difference. If your reception is good, the S3 is definitely a nice phone. It probably has some bells and whistles the Razr Maxx doesn't have, but for me personally, the style & feel of the phone are superior, and the reception is clearly superior.

Thanks again everyone!

jroc likes this.
  16. Rippin508

Rippin508 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Male
    Congrats on your new phone and thanks for the review!

If you don't mind, what part of NH are you located? I have family in the Hudson/Nashua area and haven't run into any reception problems. Probably due to being a 'business district.' I have been to the Jaffrey, Loudon and Epping areas and they are usually good too. I think the only times I have run into problems is in the Lincoln area.

Just curious. :)

17. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    NH, USA
    I'm in the next town west of Epping (Raymond). I don't think it's the town that's the issue (I get 4 bars/4G literally 2 miles from my house in the center of town).
    I think it's where my house sits. It's strange because a long time ago the service here was bad, then it was great for a couple years, then as of about a year ago it got pretty bad again. No idea what would cause that to happen.
    I don't need to have 4G at my house, I just need my phone to work. Especially the mobile hotspot. When we do lose power, we always lose cable, and I need to be able to connect (work from home).

18. Rippin508

Rippin508 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Male
    Gotcha. Thanks! :)

19. rushmore

None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    The display and camera alone are enough for some to stay with the GS3, so not exactly an objective stance discounting the GS3 ;)

That said, this is a HD forum, so you have the high ground, from a social grouping standpoint.

As far as the battery, I have battery options, so not an objective point, unless assuming people do not get extended batteries. Case in point, I have one and use the heck out of the device.

Both devices are good, but depends on what you want. I occasionally like playing games on phone and just like the Gnex, found playing games and emulators problematic on the HD.

20. budfox66

budfox66 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 22, 2012
    Male
    Eastern NC
    Radio = moto, battery = moto. IMO, the other stuff doesn't matter much if phone recep or batt life sucks

21. soba1

soba1 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    I am the same boat. I purchased the GS3 when it came out because my son needed a new phone. I wanted to hold out. So I gave up my RazrMaxx to my son got the GS3. I saw the release of the MAXXHD was on the fence.
    So here goes, I give the screen size advantage to the GS3.......
    The replaceable batt; debateable.
    The camera; I did my instore comparisons the MAXXHD is better, and I read where the MAXXHD uses a CMOS sensor on their camera. Where other cell phones use a CSSD
    Build quality the MAXXHD I like have a phone that I don't have to worry
    about accidental spills.
    But one thing that absolutely positively SUCKS on the GS3 and made my decision for me.....................the GD music player.
    Follow me, when I hook it to my car stereo the music sounds tinny. Even when I use the custom settings.....
    The bottom line I use my phone way too much and I aint about to put up with lousy music. So that made my decision.
    On the old razr maxx the music quality was good.
    I could deal with so so reception on the GS3. But the music noooooo
    Lastly when testing, I liked the way the MAXX HD felt.
    Also the old razr maxx the batt way outperformed, yeah I can swap batteries on the GS3 and thats debateable.
    But the music man the music.....:(

22. rushmore

None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Neither battery or signal sucks for me with the GS3, so the other stuff like better camera and more usable display area has a lot more weight as a result.

Depends on what you want and both are good devices :)

23. soba1

soba1 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    Yeah they are; I just cand deal with subpar music output...
    But I'm not trading in my GS3 either.....;)

24. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    NH, USA
    Completely agree, If I hadn't had reception issues with the S3, I probably never would have made the switch. Although I will say that now that I did, I do prefer the Maxx (reception issue aside).

As far as the battery goes, I was charging at least once every 12-15 hours with the S3. With the Maxx, I am currently @ 62% of battery remaining, with just shy of 25 hours since last plugged in. But I had a spare battery for the S3.

I actually prefer the styling and weight of the Maxx, but that's definitely personal preference. I haven't seen a huge difference in camera - but I agree that the S3's camera is technically better.

If you live in an area with decent reception, I think it comes down to personal preference (how you use the phone, and your preference in terms of style). I think the "issue" with the reception on the S3 is only evident when you are in an area with poor reception.

25. rushmore

None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    If the S3 had a fixed battery I would agree, but have an extended battery for mine. Since very similar hardware, same OS and similar reception (assuming similar to Razr). The battery life will be similar with the same battery size.