• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking ahead

I thought i was a heavy user but when i checked my usage..i have barely gone over 1g twice in almost 2 years. Of course that would put me in the 2g plan (currently on unlimited) but as these phones get faster and 4gh speeds come out..increased usage is inevitible...i am thinking ill stay on unlimited. Also bear in mind that i do MUCH MORE THAN THAT..but much of it ended up being wi-fi at my house or girl friends house...

200 is for VERY LIGHT users only.

Upvote 0
I will be a very light user. I will only view a couple web pages a day. Check scores. And use the weather widget. Which brings me back to my original question, do any of you know how much data is used by the sense widgets? And the 200mb plan is my only option since I'm only 16.

Ps. I have wifi at my house and will do all my downloading and heavy browsing there.

Upvote 0
I don't think the sense weather widget will use that much data. If you have a bunch of widgets running that will use a lot of data (in respect to only having 200mb). Like stated above, 200mb is for very light usage. I am on wifi most of the time and I still use 600-800mb per month. I do stream a lot of music in the car and also use the navigation. When I had my iphone I could of probably gotten by using the 200mb plan but I would have been cutting it close. For some reason I used a lot more data on my captivate when I had it. I currently have a samsung focus and I seem to also be using more data then when I had my iphone. It is probably due to the fact that widgets/tiles are constantly updating. I would say I use about twice as much data as when I had my iphone. So in my opinion, 200mb of data will last you longer on an iphone then on an android device. I personally would not get a 200mb plan on an android device, it can do so much but will eat up the data.

Upvote 0
I don't have access to wifi at work, so everything during the day is over the data network. In the last 7 days, I've used 21.27mb on my Aria. Usage comes from Gmail, hourly weather updates on the Sense Clock, and hourly updates on my Twitter feeds. I didn't use the browser at all.

IF you don't stream music, IF you don't use navigation much, IF browsing is limited, and IF you limit yourself to app downloads/updates only on Wifi, you may be able to get by with the 200mb limit.

Upvote 0
Im pretty sure i can pull it off. I dont have a need to stream music, or use naviagation. I dont have a facebook or twitter for they are time wasting. I wont use any other data pulling widgets other than the clock and weather widget. I am home often and have wifi almost everywhere i go, i just want to be able to use some data when i dont have wifi.

Also, isn't there a way to just turn the data toggle off? if i do seem to get close i will just turn off the data and use it as a texting and calling device until the next cycle.

Upvote 0
I would just spend the extra cash and get the 2 gigs with all the updating the phone uses it would be smart.
Some examples of apps/ widgets that are constently updating are:
Friend stream (or any social networking widget)
The weather apps.
your mail widgets
youtube widget
Especially if you download allot of things from the market place.
I mean I would get the 2 gigs just my opinion though. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Upvote 0
As I have said I'm only 16 and don't have the extra cash. Also I dont have any social network needs but some of you don't read and just post whatever you think. I will only use it with apps and the weather. No other widgets

If you can't afford an extra $10 a month, maybe you shouldn't be thinking about this phone then. As it's been stated above... you can rip through 200MB in a month, easily, by not doing much. Sure, you may be around WiFi a lot, but what about if you go on a trip somewhere that DOESN'T have Wifi. You could eat through that a lot in just a matter of days.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones