• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of getting an sgs2... Plz help!

Hello all
I just sold my 12 month old iPhone 4 for 460 euro In order to get iPhone 5. However it seems that it's not gonna be available to Europe before 15/10 to 1/11 and I'm thinking of other options.

I can get the sgs2 with 520euro brand new and it sees a really good deal but I want to ask some questions

My first android attempts was an htc desire which was really awful. Crap battery life + overheating. Had to manually close wifi then data then gps. Really frustrating

Do u think that sgs2 can last 1 day with everything on + push emails rss on 1 hour. (my iPhone 4 battery lasted for 2 days but I don't mind charging overnight)

Also I saw many complains about wifi range. This is very important cause in work I can barely get 1 bar with my iPhone. Does sgs2 has good wifi reception?

Iis sgs2 gonna have enough os support? My gf iphone 3GS is still supported from apple. How things work on android?

Ps
I still own an iPad 2 so I'm not gonna miss iOS games etc so do u think is a good combination an android phone with iOS tablet??

Plz help so confused!

If I don't go crazy then I can get 2 days battery out of my phone.

The wifi has been a bit hit and miss for me. On some roms I can't get anything but then on others I can pick them up from a few roads away (villainrom 2.4)

Even with the battery and wifi problems (if you can really call them problems) the pros outweigh the cons.

The gs2 is the only phone that I can say I've actually been happy with, even with it's quirks. So glad the iphone4 was sold out.

Upvote 0
My first android attempts was an htc desire which was really awful. Crap battery life + overheating. Had to manually close wifi then data then gps. Really frustrating

Do u think that sgs2 can last 1 day with everything on + push emails rss on 1 hour. (my iPhone 4 battery lasted for 2 days but I don't mind charging overnight)
Hmmm I don't want to sound patriotic to the SGS2 but..... with most android phones(if not all) you have to turn off wifi/data/bluetooth etc...etc...
The HTC Desire, in my view was/is one of the best phones on the Android OS, battery life etc... is down to individual needs.
The I phone4 (in my brothers view) is a power sucker. Everyone has their own setup and usage, so you can't really compare usage to each phone.
Wifi is as good as any other phone I have used, although its not as good as my laptop but its not going to be just now.

Upvote 0
Hello all

Also I saw many complains about wifi range. This is very important cause in work I can barely get 1 bar with my iPhone. Does sgs2 has good wifi reception?

Iis sgs2 gonna have enough os support? My gf iphone 3GS is still supported from apple. How things work on android?

Ps
I still own an iPad 2 so I'm not gonna miss iOS games etc so do u think is a good combination an android phone with iOS tablet??

Plz help so confused!

When I first bought the sgs 2 battery lasted 9 hours. But then I had everything on. Found out this game call angry birds and robo defense. Did not stop :p

Now on average 2 and a half days. On economy/minimal run=4-5 days. Heavy use still get me through one day. Just that I change the email settings from pull to manual.

My laptop has the same wifi reception strength with the sgs2. Not sure why its crap. Works fine here.

Support, yes. Should be at least 18 months - as what google is saying. The sgs2 is being discussed a lot in xda forums and this phone will have a long list of community support. Unofficial 2.3.4 has been leaked for sgs2 by samsung. Officially still 2.3.3. As far as I can see, you only need 2.3.4 and that is about it. I don't really see anything else changing for quite some time. The big jump was prior to froyo. After froyo, only minor updates.

I don't see why doesn't it work. There are tons of itunes sync freeware in the android market. Try doubletwist
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.doubleTwist.androidPlayer&feature=search_result

Or you could just search itunes in there. There is a reason why SGS2 is currently selling one phone every 1.5 secs:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
with new firmware updated (u'l have to do it manually after u buy it) i can easily get 24 hours, with everything on (push email, rss, gps, wifi, 3g) ON all the time. if u turn them off when ur not using them, u should be able to get 2 days out of it.. easily..

and the newer firmware has completely fixed the overheating issues, i havent had heat trouble for over a month now..and i use my phone a lot (browsing, gaming, music)

im not sure about support from samsung. hopefully u wont need to get a replacement or anything :D and if u have any questions, just post it here

wifi has been alright. not great. my laptop always has a higher signal strength than my phone (i get about 2-3 bars on my laptop, one bar on my phone.. thats about 25feet from router) havent used iphone so i cant compare..

i didnt notice that u asked about itunes integration but i see someone has posted about it,a nd yes.. it can be done. isyncr is a good paid option, it allows syncing with itunes. but i use itunes agent, which is free. it doesnt do anything fancy, it just grabs ur library from itunes (doesnt keep it synced, no playlists, play count etc) but if u add new music and sync, it'll add it. perfect :)

and about the iOS games.. well, pretty much all of them are available for android (if not, very soon) so i dont think that'd be an issue :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones