• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of getting the epic but need some help deciding

lharvey180

Lurker
Jan 25, 2010
Okay, so I have an upgrade coming up in March. I am trying to decide between the epic and evo shift. And I just have a few questions for current epic users to help me decide.

First of all I have to say that the epics screen is absolutely amazing..its probably one of my biggest sellers for the epic. I do have concerns about it being a Samsung...(I had a moment and went through 3 of them before giving up) So thinking about another Samsung makes me a little nervous.

The shift also looks good, but the placement of the volume rocker, from what I am hearing and from personal tests in store is annoying. And something little like that I think would drive me batty!

So to you current epic users..how has the phone been for you in terms of durability? Any software issues to be aware of?

I'm not too concerned about android 2.1 vs 2.2 I use my phone basically for email/text/web/fb and occassionaly a little gaming/pandora/youtube.

Thanks for any info you can provide me with to help aid my decision.

I've had the epic since launch day(aug 31st) and it still looks 100% brand new, no scratches on the body or the screen and I don't use a case! I have yet to encounter any problems with my phone over the months. I would not get the shift over the epic, I've played with it in the sprint store and I don't really like it. I cannot use a phone that doesn't have a super amoled screen lol. It sucks not having an official 2.2 but I don't really care.

Upvote 0
I've seen a lot of posts where people are switching from ther Moment to Epic4G but are skeptical. Honestly I was one of those people who had a Moment and hated it. I have had my epic fro about a month now an love it. Nothing wrong wit it and I would choose it over the ev shift just because its better for me and the screen display is amazing. Also the Epic 4G cannot be compared to the Moment cause its 10x better my advise go to sprint store and play with both of them. You'll see wich one you like that way. That's what I did.

Upvote 0
My upgrade is March 1st..I forgot about the Feb 7th announcement...that should be interesting. If it's another Android with the Samoled (sp) screen that would be fantastic!! LOL. I do love that screen!

How about bugs?? Does the epic have alot of them? I know about a GPS issue? Which doesn't really concern me...I don't use it much if ever.

Thanks for all the responses

Upvote 0
I also went from a moment to an Epic and i'm glad I did. When looking at the differences between the Epic and the EVO Shift there are a few thaat stands out.

The Shift doesn't have a dedicated number row on its keyboard which i've found to be very handy while texting with my Epic. Theres also no front facing camera on the Shift. Yea the Shift comes stock with 2.2 but with a little rooting you can have it on the Epic as well (im running the leaked FroYo and I love it). Ofcourse the Shift is slightly cheaper BUT according to Sprint.com the Epic recently had a price drop and its now the same price as the original EVO. <<Im still shocked at that. The same features, minus an OFFICIAL FroYo but with a full keyboard makes the choice between an EVO and an Epic that much harder, but one look at the screen and Im sure the choice will be made in no time. LOL

Upvote 0
The volume rocker on the shift definitely sucks. The placement is too central and it's too easy to press. Played with it for a 4-day work trip and it was annoying. Nice phone otherwise. The screen size bothered me from time to time. The keyboard annoyed me from time to time even though I was very easy to type on. I also don't like the low side placement of the microusb plug. Kills using it in my holder without modification to the holder. The lack of toggle widgets in the pull down menu was annoying, and switchpro doesn't have a 4g toggle yet which I can't figure out why.

Otherwise it's definitely a nice and solid phone. It is also just as heavy and thick as the epic. Thought it'd be thinner like the droid 2.

Upvote 0
The volume rocker on the shift definitely sucks. The placement is too central and it's too easy to press. Played with it for a 4-day work trip and it was annoying. Nice phone otherwise. The screen size bothered me from time to time. The keyboard annoyed me from time to time even though I was very easy to type on. I also don't like the low side placement of the microusb plug. Kills using it in my holder without modification to the holder. The lack of toggle widgets in the pull down menu was annoying, and switchpro doesn't have a 4g toggle yet which I can't figure out why.

Otherwise it's definitely a nie and solid phone. It is also just as heavy and thick as the epic. Thought it'dbe thinner like the droid 2.

I don't know if it's the same on the shift (I do hope people are happy with the Shift, because I can just imagine what they will be nicknaming it if they aren't), but on the Epic when you hit the volume slider button on the left, you naturally grasp the phone on the right side to stabilize it - which inadvertently hits the power button! Would have been great if the power button could have been on the top right to the right of the mini USB port.

Upvote 0
I never hit the power button and never did. my finger naturally rests on the curved part of the back cover just below the power button. But that's just me. I was constantly silencing my shift. I left it in my buddy's car by accident so I switched the epic back to my line and haven't looked back. If I ever buy another samsung phone, I do hope they pay attention to the spacing and feel of the keys of the shift though. Ditch the redundant buttons on the side. Stencil the capacative buttons and you can properly stagger and space the keys like a real keyboard.

Upvote 0
I've been asking around and haven't gotten many opinions: it seems to me that Sprint announces devices in the Feb-Mar timeframe, and then ships them in the summer. Has this really been the case, and does everyone see this trend continuing?

Well, for Samsung it's LATE Summer, with a promise of an update in the Fall. Woops, sorry - I meant Winter. Oh, wait...

Upvote 0
I never hit the power button and never did. my finger naturally rests on the curved part of the back cover just below the power button. But that's just me. I was constantly silencing my shift. I left it in my buddy's car by accident so I switched the epic back to my line and haven't looked back. If I ever buy another samsung phone, I do hope they pay attention to the spacing and feel of the keys of the shift though. Ditch the redundant buttons on the side. Stencil the capacative buttons and you can properly stagger and space the keys like a real keyboard.

That may indeed be true for some Homo Sapiens, but for Homo Sapiens Sapiens there is the anthropological concept of the "opposable thumb" - and in the case of this Homo, the Samsung Epic the power button opposes the volume adjustment button.

Upvote 0
Actually, it's called being a lefty. You know, the only ones in their right minds ;-) though if I hold it in my right hand my thumb rests on the top half of the phone. Feels more secure with the fingers coming from underneath and the opposable thumb presses down on the top half.

One thing that annoys me about the Epic is that all those keys - power button, back, home, are so easy to inadvertently hit - all you have to do is lightly brush one. One place where they should address this issue is shooting videos. When I've tried shooting videos I notice that some of them don't get saved or end before I think, and it probably has to do with one of these keys being invadvertently hit. When you're in video mode shooting a video, the only way it should end is with a long-press on the power button, and there should be an option, right along with Airplane Mode, that says End Video. If that were at least made some sort of option for the camera, then I think it would strengthen the functionality of the phone.

Upvote 0
One thing that annoys me about the Epic is that all those keys - power button, back, home, are so easy to inadvertently hit - all you have to do is lightly brush one. One place where they should address this issue is shooting videos. When I've tried shooting videos I notice that some of them don't get saved or end before I think, and it probably has to do with one of these keys being invadvertently hit. When you're in video mode shooting a video, the only way it should end is with a long-press on the power button, and there should be an option, right along with Airplane Mode, that says End Video. If that were at least made some sort of option for the camera, then I think it would strengthen the functionality of the phone.
I really like the app, Camera Zoom FX. The quality of the pictures seem to be better than the stock app and in options, there is a setting to auto save. There are a ton of other options and add-ons for it. You can customize all hardware buttons while in Camera Zoom FX mode, too (just check in settings). You can find it in the market. More info here.

Upvote 0
I really like the app, Camera Zoom FX. The quality of the pictures seem to be better than the stock app and in options, there is a setting to auto save. There are a ton of other options and add-ons for it. You can customize all hardware buttons while in Camera Zoom FX mode, too (just check in settings). You can find it in the market. More info here.

Thanks - I'll check it out.

Upvote 0
The slider is meant to be stiff. It's more like the Moto Droid and Droid 2. Different mechanism than the spring action types. Some say it feels more solid and reliable and others prefer the spring type one. I think your nails will be an issue regardless of the phone. The keys on the Epic are smaller and closer together so you might have more of an issue there. At least the Shift's keys are rubberized so they're grippy. The volume rocker does suck though. My Shift is getting sold, and I'll probably pick up the Arrive. Love the slider mechanism and the full keyboard. Will see how WP7 works. Probably won't leave the Epic though as the every day phone.

Upvote 0
I went to the Sprint store and I LOVE the Epic! Works much better with my nails. You are right though about the slide..... It feels flimsier than the shift does. BUT I am exchanging as we speak. I am really afraid to use anything windows as I DESPISE IE! Soooo slow! I would love to hear what you think of it though. Thx all! I will report back once I have my new Epic. ;)

Upvote 0
will have to wait for the 20th on the review. I liked my Zune while I used it. I don't really care for the blocks and the lack of ability to customize certain things (from what I've read so far), but the UI is supposed to be pretty quick and efficient. I think they benefit from the ZuneHD having a similar UI. I just like the roomy keyboard and the tilting screen. Seems to really open up the keyboard half.

I have an easy time typing on the Epic save the missed keys. Tempted to get a warranty replacement and try and new one one of these days before the year is out. You'll definitely like the dedicated number row. I think the redundant home/back/menu/find keys on the keyboard are dumb and could've been left out to provide better spacing and larger keys on the keyboard. But what do I know?

Upvote 0
dbpaddler: I agr5ee with you about those keys being odd! I noticed that right away. All in all I think I will like it! I did miss the Big Screen from my Reg EVO (which I still have but don't like). I'm pretty picky. But hey, we are paying a pretty penny for these devices! My return is on it's way! YAY!

Just noticed your link at the end of your post, I'm gonna hit you up in IM for more info. I really need something like that. THX

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones