• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of jumping ship from Iphone to Android please hekp

bearballz

Jul 11, 2010
Chi-town
Hi everyone first post,

My buddy just picked the new Evo 4g and this thing is awesome. I have the new Iphone 4 (32 gb) and the WOW factor has kinda worn off. I've had the 1st Iphone and the 3G and the apple magic has started to were off. I know Android isn't as polished as IOS4 but with the Evo, Droid X and Froyo around the corner I'm kind of leaning towards making a change.

I know this is pro Android so I need some pros and cons here from you guys to decide what to do. Here's a quick list of pros and cons I made.

Pros for Iphone
-Familiar OS
-Beautiful Hardware
-Itunes itergration
-Already invested $$ on Apps, docks etc.
Cons
-Locked down OS (Jail breaking not wistanding)
-Expensive hardware (ie $30.00 for the bumper case)
-AT&T
-Potential Hardware issues (reception and proximity issues)

Pros for Android
-Something different
-4g speeds
-Nice Hardware
-Open OS
-Cheaper phone and plan wise

Cons
-Android not as user friendly as IOS4
-Not many peripherals available (ie docks, radios etc)
-Not as many apps available compared to Itunes
-battery life
-Storage issues (expensive to upgrade to a 32gb micro SD)

Heya dude, I'm gonna try and write a mini essay and make it a quality first post of many here.

I've had an iPhone from the beginning, and absolutely love it. When the 4 was released (and leaked) I was wowed like everyone else was and immediately started planning around purchasing it. When it came down to it, it was impossible for me to get hold of one. Anyway, last week I had to go to my local Apple store to pick up one of those TomTom adaptors for a family member's iPod Touch. As I was there I decided to take a look at the new iPhone and have a play around with it (I was trying to not use one until mine came so that it felt more new and exciting). I have to say I wasn't impressed with it, as cool as it is, the shape isn't far removed from the previous models.

Now here comes my introduction to Android. Whilst I was around I decided to pop by the Carphone Warehouse because I had some time still before I had to get back to work. I was wandering around their store and picked up a Dell Streak leaflet. In my mind I remembered the reviews about this and how it was such a crazy phone and asked them if they had one I could play around with. They pulled one out the back for me and from the moment I saw it I was amazed. The only word that could describe it was crazy. This is another advantage of Android, you cannot get bored of it. You don't like yours? Pick up another totally different device. Once I'd seen that, I had my mind made up, I returned later that day and bought it.

My impressions on the OS: It's definitely more smooth than people will give it credit for, I love how apps from the market have the same sort of natural access that I was used to with my jailbroken iPhone. Of course I did have a lot of this sort of functionality with my iPhone, but many apps were lacking due to it not being available for everyone. Widgets are wonderful, although still haven't found any lock screen widgets (very much necessary). One thing I have found lacking was the lack of a proper task killer that's baked into the OS (it's kinda missing on the iPhone too). Remember to take what I've said with a pinch of salt because the Streak is still on 1.6. About apps, that's kinda a big one. I know people will want to kill me for this, but I'm gonna go ahead with it anyway. I did this when I was new to the iPhone too and it helped me out a lot. If you find an app you think will help you, get a pirated copy of it whilst you're still getting to grips with the phone. Once you're into it, buy the stuff you actually use.

A couple of notes on accessories: Not much needs to be said about iTunes, it is terrible, although people have people have been heralding DoubleTwist, it just hasn't cut it for me. I'd look a service like Spotify or rdio whilst you're at it. About hardware stuff, it's not such a big deal. I've turned into a big fan of the Belkin Bluetooth Receiver, which is awesome and solves the need of a dock for your specific phone.

Edit: Oh, and feel welcome to question the hell out of me.

Upvote 0
This is another advantage of Android, you cannot get bored of it. You don't like yours? Pick up another totally different device. Once I'd seen that, I had my mind made up, I returned later that day and bought it.

That or load up a different ROM/home replacement. Makes all the difference in the world. :)

Widgets are wonderful, although still haven't found any lock screen widgets (very much necessary)

Look up FlyScreen on the market.

Reactions: versp
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info everyone (and keep it coming). Yes I saw that video on Youtube and read the article on Engadget about the EVO vs. the Iphone 4. While I thought both were very informative it did sway me a bit toward the EVO.

I think the biggest thing for me is storage due to the fact I keep a ton of music on my Iphone and a 16gb card (can't afford a 32gb card) is barely enough for apps and music (don't really care about movies). Also as much as Itunes has its drawbacks it still keeps everything nice and neat for the most part. I've tried media monkey for loading my non Apple players and IMO it's not that great. Also does windows media work OK for loading music on the EVO?

Also where's the best place for picking up the phone? I heard BB waves the rebate and charges only the $199.00, I was at a local mall and was talking to one of the people at one of those Sprint Kiosks and he said he'd knock $20.00 off the price (no mention of the rebate). Or should I just go into a Sprint store?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info everyone (and keep it coming). Yes I saw that video on Youtube and read the article on Engadget about the EVO vs. the Iphone 4. While I thought both were very informative it didn't really sway me either way.

I think the biggest thing for me is storage due to the fact I keep a ton of music on my Iphone and a 16gb card (can't afford a 32gb card) is barely enough for apps and music (don't really care about movies). Also as much as Itunes has its drawbacks it still keeps everything nice and neat for the most part. I've tried media monkey for loading my non Apple players and IMO it's not that great. Also does windows media work OK for loading music on the EVO?

Also where's the best place for picking up the phone? I heard BB waves the rebate and charges only the $199.00, I was at a local mall and was talking to one of the people at one of those Sprint Kiosks and he said he'd knock $20.00 off the price (no mention of the rebate). Or should I just go into a Sprint store?

Dude, I made the switch back about 3 weeks ago and I have never been happier. Quite frankly, I just got sick of dropping phone calls - but didnt realize how much I missed the widgets and flexibility of Android. You wont regret the change and its worth losing your investment in apps on that piece of junk

Upvote 0
Look up FlyScreen on the market.

Thanks for the tip, but isn't quite what I was looking for. I have a Dell Streak, and that may be why it doesn't look quite right. If you've seen screenshots of the Streak you'll see that only half the screen is used, but to make it worse there's no way to view new texts or missed calls on the lockscreen, and that's really what i'm looking for, something similar to how widgets on the homescreen work.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip, but isn't quite what I was looking for. I have a Dell Streak, and that may be why it doesn't look quite right. If you've seen screenshots of the Streak you'll see that only half the screen is used, but to make it worse there's no way to view new texts or missed calls on the lockscreen, and that's really what i'm looking for, something similar to how widgets on the homescreen work.

how about SlideScreen pro..

Upvote 0
Dude, I made the switch back about 3 weeks ago and I have never been happier. Quite frankly, I just got sick of dropping phone calls - but didnt realize how much I missed the widgets and flexibility of Android. You wont regret the change and its worth losing your investment in apps on that piece of junk

Yeah was thinking of getting an refurbed Ipod touch for all my apps. A 32gb touch can be had fairly cheap. Rumor has it Apples coming out with a updated version of the touch which should drive the costs down even more on the older models.

Upvote 0
Cons
-Android not as user friendly as IOS4
-Not many peripherals available (ie docks, radios etc)
-Not as many apps available compared to Itunes
-battery life
-Storage issues (expensive to upgrade to a 32gb micro SD)

Welcome aboard.
My assertion on the following issues:
1. I actually find the iPhone (yes I had one) more difficult to use.
That's me talking... it may have simply been too dumbed down for me.

2. Depends on the phone.
I have a nexus, which has a car dock and a desktop dock.
It does not have a radio.
Some phones have these features, others do not.
Shop around I bet you will find something you like, but I would hardly call it a negative for Android - that's a hardware thing that has nothing to do with Android.

3. iTunes has a lot of apps.. lately that has been called into question with the developers making 5,000 apps with no function just to get their name pushed up in the rankings.
So, just one developer knocked your app count to 195k - and we know there are more that do it.. as a matter of fact it's come out that there are LOTS of developers doing it.
So, I call this into question.. how many REAL apps does the iStore have?
Android has just under 100k apps as of today....
How many of those are real? Good question...
If your going to base your purchase on how many 'apps' the store has then Android is not for you.

4. Battery life
Hardware dependent I think.
I get between 35 and 40 hours on my Nexus.
Your mileage may vary, but again not an Android issue.

5. Storage....
I have an 8GB card.
I don't need any more than that personally.
Everyone I know with Android phones has no need for anything past 8GB.
I guess if you take videos... okay.
Think of it this way:
You could not change cards on your iPhone... so this is a plus.
How much space do you really need?
Again, Android is not at fault here....

The only reason I went ahead and answered these issues because you labeled them in your post as 'Android' issues.
None of these ARE android issues but user/hardware issues that are easily remedied by simply buying another handset.

With that being said, again your mileage may vary and I applaud you for not thinking like a sheep.
Visit stores, talk to friends with Android phones if you know any.
If it's not for you then nobody will flame you for making a personal choice based on your needs.

Upvote 0
Yeah was thinking of getting an refurbed Ipod touch for all my apps. A 32gb touch can be had fairly cheap. Rumor has it Apples coming out with a updated version of the touch which should drive the costs down even more on the older models.

Did you get rid of your old 3G? You could always use that like a Ipod Touch and not have to buy a refurbed one.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info everyone (and keep it coming). Yes I saw that video on Youtube and read the article on Engadget about the EVO vs. the Iphone 4. While I thought both were very informative it did sway me a bit toward the EVO.

Also where's the best place for picking up the phone? I heard BB waves the rebate and charges only the $199.00,
I was at a local mall and was talking to one of the people at one of those Sprint Kiosks and he said he'd knock $20.00 off the price (no mention of the rebate). Or should I just go into a Sprint store?

Walmart beats everybodys price and some phones they beat it by a longshot. The HTC HD2 is only $48 at Walmart. $199 at T-Mobile. At least here it is.

Upvote 0
Another con for Iphone: Consumer Reports re-tested the IP4 and cannot recommend it due to it's antenna issues.

Plus I read on Engadget that Apple is deleting all posts on the CR article on it's own forum. Seems to me the deck is quickly stacking in favor of getting an EVO....

imo the EVO is too big. Id look into the Galaxy S. The hummingbird processor is faster than the snapdragon and it is a bit bigger than the iPhone and a bit smaller than the EVO but damn, that EVO is huge. Much like the HD2 i dont like, but the HD2 also is a Windows based OS.

Thing to remember about CR is that it is an opinion of a writer. He may like the HD2, i dont at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones