1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Thinking of leaving Sprint?

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by engrose, Feb 9, 2011.

1. engrose

engrose Newbie

New to this forum and hit post and not save...opppsss lol....anyway....

I am thinking of leaving Sprint after 12+ yrs. I have an EVO, an Instinct and a Sierra Wireless internet card. My bill is $245 per mth. My internet is awful - drops signal, cannot stream movies, etc.. have had this replace by Sprint 7x's now and still the same issue this thing gets hot and turns itself off or drops the signal. I have unlimited web/talk and text as have been with them so long everything grandfathered!! I have no 4G in my area so not worried about that. I am paying premium price for 1/2 the service - I think! I love my EVO and Instinct want to keep my phones but not sure who to go to...any ideas? Should I flash my phones or not? We are going to be traveling the USA so need a company that has good service all over. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Android Expert

You...what...forgot the rest of your post?

IOWA likes this.
  3. jen8112

jen8112 Android Enthusiast

lol!

4. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Android Expert

If you're going to travel extensively by car, rail, or any other slow transit, you're going to hit coverage gaps no matter who you pick. I'd say find out whoever gives you the best coverage and service at home and where you spend 90% or more of your time and go with that provider.

You have almost the exact opposite experience I have with Sprint, but I had the same experience with ATT. The answer was clear to me - switch.

The thing that's different is if the bulk of your data charges come from your phone use, then ATT will cost you more. That was even before they introduced tiering. The only thing that's helping with them now is tremendous pressure to roll back some of the increase because VZW will undercut ATT from time to time.

Good luck on your travels and with your new carrier.

engrose likes this.
  5. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

well..

you have to have 1 of the 4 major carriers to travel and get coverage. but they all got holes.. in coverage.

Sprint phones do not work on the other major carriers... Only att and tmobile have sim cards phones, so they can inter change.

Verizon would have the best map coverage... but sprint roams on verizon towers for free (up to some limits on minutes and data).

you have wireless card .. get rid of it and save some money...
    1. pay $30/month for hotspot on your evo. or
    2. Root and get wifi tether for free on you evo.

get a family sprint plan 1500 min for 2 phones.. $130 +$20 (Premium fee) + $30 hotspot= $180 plus tax

you have bad signal service in your area... sorry.
    hopefully you will have better signals while traveling.

engrose likes this.
  6. engrose

engrose Newbie

Thanks for the info. What about keeping my phones and using with another carrier? Flash or NO? Who's willing to use a flashed phone? etc...

7. jen8112

No, you can't.

8. dan330

yes.. there are other carries .. you could flash them to someone like: boost or metroPCS...

but they are local carriers.. dont have nationwide coverage.

engrose likes this.
  9. engrose

engrose Newbie

good info Dan thanks!! ok...so I get rid of my internet card. now is there an easy way to root? (I know how to tether - did that with pda and worked pretty good). I do not want to do something wrong and totally destroy my evo, anyone have a link to a good root diagram or step by step?? Thanks, sorry for all the questions but am learning here!!

10. MissJennell

MissJennell Android Enthusiast

Go to the EVO section of these forums. In there is a whole section on rooting. READ a ton before you even try and start to root your phone. Once you think you have it then read some more. There are a lot of helpful people in that section. Ask questions ahead of time if you have them.

engrose likes this.
  11. dan330

here is a good place to start reading:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...e-updated-3-08pm-pst-february-8th-2011-a.html

there are vids in youtube.com that can give you visual help:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=evo+rooting&aq=f

once you understand...
    here is what I used to root my EVO that was built in Oct:
    [ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - There Will Be Root - Upd. 01.26.11 - xda-developers

make sure you take good notes before you start.
    it aint hard.. you can do it.

do a nandroid back up...
    here is the ROM that I love:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=793471

engrose likes this.
  12. viber

viber Android Enthusiast

I can't think of a good reason to leave Sprint at the moment.

The price is good. The coverage is good in my area. The 4G presence is strong in my area.

I see nothing on Verizon, ATT or T-Mobile that makes me want to change over.

13. tqlla

tqlla Well-Known Member

Yikes! Thats awful. Why do you have an internet card and an EVO? You could use the EVO to tether or use the EVO as a hotspot. My internet with Sprint is pretty bad too. Its consistent, but consistently slow

ATT is the usually quickest, however their service is often spotty, and you are limited to 2GB. Starting tomorrow, they will offer any mobile anytime.

The Atrix looks pretty slick, $200 for the phone and $300 for the computer dock. For a second line, you can get the Iphone4... etc. Use Wifi at home, and if you can live under the 2GB cap, the price will be VERY competitive with Sprints family plan. While being much quicker(on 3G....usually)

With my corp discount, I calculated that 2 lines 700 mins+any mobile+rollover+2GB per line+Unlimited text with ATT would cost me $1.79 more than with Sprint.

14. silencer271

silencer271 Well-Known Member

thiking 2011 maybe my last year with sprint. The echo made me wanna puke. I think its an example of sprints future exclusive garbage. Verizon is getting to be about the same price as sprint. No reason to stay with sprint anymore the value is gone.

thomasanderson likes this.
  15. viber

viber Android Enthusiast

The Atrix represents a small increase in performance over the Evo and Epic. I can't see jumping from Sprint for one. The limitation is the android OS is optimized apps, not hardware. The 2.2 experience for an Evo user is going to be the same on the Atrix and Optimus 2x

The Dock concept is silly and is $499.99: AT&T: Atrix 4G Laptop Dock Priced High Because You Can Do More Than a Netbook | Android Phone Fans

I would rather get an Evo, enable hotspot and get a used iPad with a bluetooth keyboard or even a netbook. You'd be better off. The Atrix dock is a gimmick that most wont use, and will for sure end up on clearance sale within a couple of months of release.

16. viber

viber Android Enthusiast

I don't think the Echo is any significant marking point to make a well thought out decision. It's just another midrange phone that I wont buy, like the Evo Shift.

Sprint is sitting on their 2011 flagship phone for now, which is the smart move because the Evo is still selling well and is one of the better phones you can buy on any carrier.

Verizon is coming out guns blazing in 2011, but they have to. Sprint currently owns mind-share when it comes to 4G, so Verizon has to make a strong push to secure a position, especially for the very important Q4.

CarrieK likes this.
  17. CarrieK

CarrieK Android Expert

My experience has been the total opposite as well. I travel quite a bit and have had consistently good coverage/service. The others have some excellent suggestions. Ultimately, what matters is what works best for you. Good luck :)

engrose likes this.
  18. Who in their right mind would ever leave Sprint? You must be very rich because what you are paying $245/month for now will cost you approx. $600+/month on any other carrier.

19. I am trying to figure out how he is at 250 bucks, forget the rest. I have a family plan with 8 lines and it is less then that.

Family plan with 1500 minute is 150. Throw on wireless for 30. But if Sprint is not working for you, move on. Try t-mobile or ATT. Verizon will not help, it uses the same towers with roaming.
    Service here is great with out getting nickel and dime to death.

20. TheBarron

TheBarron Member

Yeah, what River said, how on earth is he spending that much, especially grandfathered? I have 4 EVOs and spend less.

21. jen8112

He could have the unlimited family plan. $190 + $20 for the EVOs + the aircard. It's possible if he has the $150 family plan too with insurance on both phones and the aircard. I want to know how I'm paying $170 for 3 phones and my sister-in-law is on Verizon and paying $170 for 5 phones with the same services?! :p

22. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Android Expert

I often hear VZW customers say how much they're not paying. I NEVER see a copy of a bill to confirm. Happens with my family and friends all the time, but unless I see it, I'm not buying it. VZW offers discounts that bring costs down, but when comparing apples to apples it's just not likely to find VZW cheaper.

Even VZW doesn't claim to be cheaper. Wouldn't there be VZW ads all over the place about their prices if their prices were the best? They're not shy about claiming to be the best so I can't believe they'd not be at least as or more boastful if they offered the best value/pricing.

Can you hear me now?

CriticalCritic likes this.
  23. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert

My two best options for solid coverage are Sprint or Verizon. Being the bargain hunter that I am, I am always shopping for the best value in wireless. I have never found a plan on VZW that costs less than Sprint, and Sprints plans even offer more. Before on individual plans, Sprint saved me over 20 bucks a month. And now on a family plan, I save about 40 bucks a month by choosing Sprint over Verizon. This does not even include the data overages I would likely incur (Since Sprint has unlimited data). Its been pretty simple for me to choose Sprint.

24. jen8112

I checked out the prices on Verizon (to see how much more it would cost me for an iPhone) and it would be about the same with taxes and without a discount or the $10 "premium data" fee from Sprint. Now, while it was about the same price it was not apples to apples. I have almost unlimited everything on Sprint and I wouldn't on Verizon. While I think I would be fine and not have overages I would constantly be thinking about what I'm doing and what I've used for the month. I recently applied at a Verizon store and that would be the only way Verizon would be cheaper for me. Other than that I will stay with Sprint or try Virgin.

25. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert

For my 2 lines Sprint: Everything Data 1500 Min's: $130 + 10 per line if you have a smart phone = $150

For 2 lines on Verizon w/ 1400 Min's: $180 + $6 Visual Voice mail = $186

In addition, Verizon does not include all the extras Sprint throws in (Sprint TV, Visual Voice mail, Unlimited calling to Any phone on Any carrier, Nav, uncapped/non-throttled data, etc………). Basically you wont have to worry bout overages on Sprint.

Also, you will save even more on Sprint with each additional line @ 20-30 bucks per phone line.