• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of making a switch...

TedEBearNC

Lurker
Jan 5, 2010
I'm currently a Verizon customer so I was pleased to hear the Nexus One will be available on Verizon because I really don't like the phone I have now (the Samsung Omnia) and I want to replace it. I'm not too happy with the somewhat ambiguous "release date" though because, well... I want it NOW! LOL

Now, I'm a satisfied Verizon customer for the most part. They have good service where I can actually make and receive calls within my home and workplace unlike AT&T where I'd have to be either near a window (home) or do without (workplace). But, until recently, their selection of crippled phones left a lot to be desired. It seems they are finally getting the idea and giving us better, less crippled hardware. Their main remaining drawback is the expense. They are expensive!

So I got to thinking about it and am toying with the idea of switching to T-mobile, not just to be able to get the Nexus One now, which would be a big plus and is a strong motivator, but it'd also be cheaper in the long run. The Even More plus 500 min plan would run me about $30 less per month than my existing Verizon plan (and that's with my 15% corp discount) and give me everything I have now plus an additional 50 min, though I'd probably never go through that. Also, I'd have an unlocked phone that I could potentially use somewhere else if needed. The savings would cover my ETF with Verizon in a couple of months and the cost of the Nexus One in a little over a year. Even if I stick with Verizon and wait it out, I'm going to have to pay the full cost for a new phone because I'm not eligible for a discount (I did my NE2 for the Omnia last April).

The thing is I'm not that familiar with T-mobile and their service. It wasn't available in our area (Charlotte, NC) until fairly recently with the acquisition of SunCom so I don't know much about it. I've checked around and the very few recent "reviews" of T-mobile service in this area that I've found have been positive so that's something.

So.. I'm sitting on the fence. Does anyone have any experience with T-mobile in the Charlotte area? Any advice on whether I should wait or make the jump? Am I just being a Veruca Salt?

Sorry for being long and rambly.. I'm bored. lol

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones