1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thinking of making the switch to Android, looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by w0nderfish, Mar 5, 2011.

1. w0nderfish

w0nderfish Lurker
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've had an iPhone for over a year now, and I'm getting sick of it. There's a couple of niggling software bugs that come and go as they please, with the sound randomly deciding to not work sometimes if it doesn't feel like it. When I first got it, all the apps were certainly interesting, but now I find myself never ever using 95% of them. And navigating the app store is horribly annoying, and all the apps are either stupid games that are barely fun for 5 minutes, or poorly designed utilities.

To top it off, it's impossible to customise it exactly how I want without jailbreaking the thing. And when I tried that I almost bricked the damn thing. Thanks to previous software bugs which ended up with Apple giving me a new one, I'm not keen to try again. I've had a chance to try out Android phones a fair bit, and I quite like them. My boyfriend has an HTC Desire, and it's very impressive.

Looking around a bit, I'm thinking of getting an HTC Android phone. However, I'm a bit lost as to WHAT exact phone would be best. I'm wondering if anyone could suggest a model. I don't want anything particularly high end, middle of the road performance wise would be fine. Solid functionality, something that it very dependable is what I'm after. I will most likely keep my iPhone and just use it for music. The HTC Legend caught me eye, but honestly I'm lost.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Hello w0nderfish. And welcome to the world of Android. ;)

You're going to get a lot of recommendations from folks who have settled on their favorite Android device, and there are dozens of those devices.

Coming off and iPhone, you might want to think about the handling of that, and what you "wished" about it, besides app market, etc. I mean physically, first: did you wish it had a slide out keyboard? did you wish it had a huge screen? did you wish it had physical buttons right there beneath the screen? did you wish it was smaller? etc...

I suggest you go into a Verizon, Sprint or other store of the carrier you want for your device, and spend some time handling many different versions of this great operating system. Droids, EVOs, Fascinates, Incredibles, don't leave anything out as far as the maker: Motorola, Samsung, HTC, Sony-Ericsson, etc

3. w0nderfish

w0nderfish Lurker
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    One thing I did wish for was a phone that could switch between portrait and landscape mode all for the whole phone, not just text input. I'm very comfortable with a touchscreen keyboard, I don't like the feel of slide out keyboards.

I've already had a browse in a few different shops (I live in Australia, and I'll be getting any new phones off the internet, it's a complete rip off buying a new phone from a carrier), which is why I was more interested in HTC phones. The dedicated home, menu and back buttons feel good to use, and much better than the sole home button on the iPhone. Size wise anything comparable to an iPhone would be okay. I'd probably be happy with something a little smaller, but I wouldn't want anything bigger.