• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Thinking of rooting because...

HadouGhost

Android Expert
Feb 14, 2010
my calibration is off. slightly to the left. was fine for awhile as the games and apps i was using included calibration but more and more games and apps im downloading arent coming with a calibration option in them...so the only thing i can think of is to root because i had read on XDA

"It is said that the g-sensor actually has a calibrating tool, "sensorcalibutil_yamaha"

It is under /system/bin/, you can see that with root explore.
I tried to run this service with adb, but Permission Denied......

hope someone can solve it..."

and then

"

Calibration tool working perfectly, just calibrated myself.

But you need to have your phone rooted. Then just do this:
Code:
adb shellsu/system/bin/sensorcalibutil_yamaha
then place your phone horizontally and still (remember that back of the phone is not flat - so do something so screen is horizontal), and press enter.

then restart phone and thats it!"

So yeah..thats the reason..id love to calibrate it. the only problem is i have no idea where to start and rooting threads confuse me. so i ask politely...HALP!!!!!!

my calibration is off. slightly to the left. was fine for awhile as the games and apps i was using included calibration but more and more games and apps im downloading arent coming with a calibration option in them...so the only thing i can think of is to root because i had read on XDA

"It is said that the g-sensor actually has a calibrating tool, "sensorcalibutil_yamaha"

It is under /system/bin/, you can see that with root explore.
I tried to run this service with adb, but Permission Denied......

hope someone can solve it..."

and then

"

Calibration tool working perfectly, just calibrated myself.

But you need to have your phone rooted. Then just do this:
Code:
adb shellsu/system/bin/sensorcalibutil_yamaha
then place your phone horizontally and still (remember that back of the phone is not flat - so do something so screen is horizontal), and press enter.

then restart phone and thats it!"

So yeah..thats the reason..id love to calibrate it. the only problem is i have no idea where to start and rooting threads confuse me. so i ask politely...HALP!!!!!!

Hey 'Ghost'...probably the easiest route for you is to use the one-click method. Get this app:

RyanZA's OCLF 2.0 - Android app on AppBrain

It has options for rooting and lagfix, but I don't expect you care about the latter. I believe it can unroot too, but to be honest I've never used it.

Once rooted you may need to install Superuser, again not certain as I've not gone this route before. Easy enough to do:

Superuser - Android app on AppBrain

Start there and if you have more questions, just ask. It's intimidating at first, this I know from experience. Read and take things slowly and you'll be fine. :)

Oh yeah...Root Explorer...very good to have...

http://www.appbrain.com/app/root-explorer-(file-manager)/com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer

Seems to me there used to be a free version...not seeing it now though. Worth the few bucks however.

Upvote 0
Hey 'Ghost'...probably the easiest route for you is to use the one-click method. Get this app:

RyanZA's OCLF 2.0 - Android app on AppBrain

It has options for rooting and lagfix, but I don't expect you care about the latter. I believe it can unroot too, but to be honest I've never used it.

Once rooted you may need to install Superuser, again not certain as I've not gone this route before. Easy enough to do:

Start there and if you have more questions, just ask. It's intimidating at first, this I know from experience. Read and take things slowly and you'll be fine. :)

Oh yeah...Root Explorer...very good to have...

Root Explorer (File Manager) - Android app on AppBrain

Seems to me there used to be a free version...not seeing it now though. Worth the few bucks however.

I Dont like the sound of one click things..oclf has bugs and i dont plan on doing a lagfix anyway. a one click root sounds fishy to me. and i have no idea how to or what adb shell explore is anyway.

anyone live near chicago and want to hang out for a few hours and root my phone? XD

Upvote 0
I Dont like the sound of one click things..oclf has bugs and i dont plan on doing a lagfix anyway. a one click root sounds fishy to me. and i have no idea how to or what adb shell explore is anyway.

anyone live near chicago and want to hang out for a few hours and root my phone? XD

You can check these things out if you care to do some reading:

Root your Vibrant - xda-developers

[Drivers] MS Windows x86 and x64 USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S - xda-developers

[HOW-TO] ADB for Dummies(How-To Learner's Guide) - xda-developers

We're going to keep working on recruiting you to the Dark Side!
teu42.gif

Reactions: HadouGhost
Upvote 0

the one click root works great, and its always been solid after every flash. i personally stay away from the oclf due to issues i've had with it in the past, but the one click root is solid imo

Upvote 0
what is su super user? just basically like having admin rights?

also..busybox, nowhere can i find a simple explanation. thanks so far guys!

also holding power and vol up and vol down will not let me in to my phone soo..there must be another way. SEE I WAS ATTEMPING TO ROOT.

also the link bouvine provided me, the newest sdk i see is Android 2.0.1 Platform

i assuming sdk IS adb or whatever? either way my phone will not go in to recovery mode via the 3 button push. so much for OCR

Upvote 0
what is su super user? just basically like having admin rights?

also..busybox, nowhere can i find a simple explanation. thanks so far guys!

also holding power and vol up and vol down will not let me in to my phone soo..there must be another way. SEE I WAS ATTEMPING TO ROOT.

also the link bouvine provided me, the newest sdk i see is Android 2.0.1 Platform

i assuming sdk IS adb or whatever? either way my phone will not go in to recovery mode via the 3 button push. so much for OCR

Superuser grants to and manages permissions for apps that require root access. When you you start on app that needs root for the first time Superuser will pop up to confirm that you want said app to have this permission. You have the option for Superuser to remember your choice as well.

About Busybox...see this thread:

What is Busybox? - Android Forums

Or see this:

BusyBox

Try holding just the down Vol button and the power button and see if that works.

SDK includes adb. You don't have to install anything other than the SDK to use abd.

Upvote 0
Try holding just the down Vol button and the power button and see if that works.

SDK includes adb. You don't have to install anything other than the SDK to use abd.

No dice. When i do that, or hold vol down and up with the power the samsung vibrant white logo just keeps showing up then going away repeatedly. seems im hardware locked from going in to recovery mode. tried googling how to do it another way and was filled with words and phrases i do not yet understand.

Upvote 0
Here dude, this is the link to the one-click root program you download to your Mac or your PC. This program is literally dummy-proof. After you download the folder, click the Galaxy_One-Click_Root application; a box will appear, then it will reset your phone automatically into recovery mode, then it will prompt you to push your volume down button to highlight the reinstall packages, then you push the power button to apply the reinstall packages command, then your phone will reboot and you will be rooted with superuser installed as well:D. Trust me dude, this takes literally 20 seconds to do, and you don't have to go through the bother of downloading and installing any One-Click-Root or One Click_lagfix or anything like that. You'll thank me later.

Here's the link: One Click Root/Unroot (Mac/PC)

Upvote 0
I am ROOTED!..however when i open super user and click on the tab ''log'' it force closes on me

"the application superuser permissions (process com. noshufou.android.su) has stopped unexpectedly. please try again. dumpstate_app_201010071221_com_noshufou_android_su. log has been saved. use *#9900# to copy out log"

*sigh* so i use the easiest rooting method possible and i end up with errors in superuser...

downloaded rom manager, doing a fix permissions right now. see how that goes.

it stayed on the galaxy S screen for longer than normal... hmm.. checking now, going to hit the tab ''log''

YAY log tab now works.

goign to restart the phone again and see if it hangs at the galaxy s screen again. i hope not.

nice. fast just like usual..so i guess i have the happiness and ability to now say...

I AM ROOTED!!!

... now what? lol XD (btw thanks for all the help guys!!)

oh yes, my sensor calibration...no idea how to adb shell or whatever to do that..

Upvote 0
I am ROOTED!..however when i open super user and click on the tab ''log'' it force closes on me

"the application superuser permissions (process com. noshufou.android.su) has stopped unexpectedly. please try again. dumpstate_app_201010071221_com_noshufou_android_su. log has been saved. use *#9900# to copy out log"

*sigh* so i use the easiest rooting method possible and i end up with errors in superuser...

it stayed on the galaxy S screen for longer than normal... hmm.. checking now, going to hit the tab ''log''

YAY log tab now works.

goign to restart the phone again and see if it hangs at the galaxy s screen again. i hope not.

nice. fast just like usual..so i guess i have the happiness and ability to now say...

I AM ROOTED!!!

oh yes, my sensor calibration...no idea how to adb shell or whatever to do that..

nice man! word of advice... dont jump right into ADB its rather advance and required some knowledge and know how... Im not saying your dumb lol but its obvious that your new to the world of root and the like. there is a thread on XDA called ADB shell for dummies... thats a good place to start if you need to go down that road. Reading is your friend! lol

Upvote 0

YAY log tab now works.

I AM ROOTED!!!

Yaaaay 'Ghost'! You are now one of us, a member of the Dark Side. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones