1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Thinking of Rooting to CM7

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BuisyBizz, May 17, 2011.

1. BuisyBizz

BuisyBizz Newbie

So I've been thinking of Rooting to Cyanogenmod 7. I've read all the generic root related benefits (control of the hardware yada yada yada).

My question is, what are some of the real benefits of it? Is it faster? Is the home screen delay still around? I think I read it's possible to up the clock speed?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. carassius

carassius Well-Known Member

It's hard for me to remember what the stock ROM was like. The benefits, in my opinion, are mainly the features. Many/most ROM dev's will incorporate all sorts of stuff you can't get on the stock experience. I wouldn't know where to start.

Faster, yes, definitely. I still get some home screen delay with launcher pro, though.

You can control the clock speed by testing different kernels.

Sounds like you've already done some research...if not..LINK

Remember...backup, backup, backup before doing anything.

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Rooting in and off itself won't make your phone any faster.

It's what you do afterward that will.

CM7 include a stock kernel that can do 900 MHz easily enough, and with a littler playing you can get a good OCing as your phone would normally support. Downside of CM 7 is that it does use a lot more RAM in terms of system apps actively using the RAM on every boot, so you'll experience a lot of swapping and such if you have a lot off apps that you run in the background as well, like widgets, etc.

Still, though, I use it as my daily, and could never go back to stock either.

4. carassius

carassius Well-Known Member

Good points.

I should also add that I haven't used CM7. I've planned on it but just hasn't happened yet. Currently using Liquid GB in its most current version. I'll also be upgrading in the next few months. :D

5. schleppy

schleppy Newbie

My Droid has been rooted for probably 6 months now, and I wish I had done it sooner.

Rooting itself is very easy, and really just unlocks potential. Flashing new kernels and ROMS is really what wakes up the phone.

I'm running Bugless Beast 0.6.2.1 right now, but I've also tried CM 7.0.3. The ROMS are so much faster and more feature packed than the stock ROM that it's not even funny. Take the time, read up on the process, and do it. You won't regret it.

6. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

All good.

I'm using CM7.0.3, and have a guide at my site for home screen redraw lag fix.

7. AmazinTim

AmazinTim Lurker

I'm new to the whole rooting/rom game, bought a rooted Droid with Cyanogen 7.0.3, but it behaved sluggish at times so I switch to Liquid Gingerbread yesterday and have noticed a much smoother, cleaner user experience so far.

8. BuisyBizz

BuisyBizz Newbie

I took the plunge and Rooted with CM7.0.3. The phone itself does seem snappier. Things like installing apps, acquiring wifi signals etc. There is still some home screen delay, but its definintely not as long as with stock.

Though now I'm a bit concerned about missing texts and MMS. I use handcent and I think I missed at least one today. Need to keep an eye on this.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews