1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Thinking of switching back to VM

Discussion in 'Virgin Mobile' started by jm101, May 29, 2011.

1. jm101

jm101 Well-Known Member

I originally stopped using Virgin Mobile in 2008, before they came up with Androids. I currently have the T-Mobile Comet on Prepaid. I do not subscribe to data on it and use daily passes if I need Internet. About two months after I bought my Comet I found out about Virgin Mobile's new plans. I am pretty eager about eventually purchasing the Optimus V, which is the Android I should've purchased in the first place, and subscribing to the $25/month plan. I have been researching the data outages on Virgin Mobile. Should I be concerned about this? For $25/month I am not expecting a full fledged 3G experience. The way I look at it is, anything that has data is better than what I have now. Thanks for your help!

2. mkbkr1

mkbkr1 Android Enthusiast

I live in louisiana and aside from a few problems when I first got my optimus a few months ago I haven't had any problems with 3g. No more outages, decent speeds (800-1400kbps). I can't say how everyone else is doing, but if you have good signal in your area then I would recommend getting one. Its a great phone and has great group of developers working on it. If you are interested in rooting and modding, then I would suggest going to the Android Central forums. They have a larger and more comprehensive list of root methods, roms, and speed tweaks.

jm101 likes this.
  3. jm101

jm101 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your response! Those seem like good speeds. I did see one complaint about the 3G being pretty bad in my area on a forum. That doesn't kill my decision though. I remember when I had Virgin Mobile the signal in my area was pretty strong for the most part. But, I can't vouch for the 3G. When the time comes I'll make sure to order it from somewhere with a decent return policy, just in case.

It does look like a good phone. Like I mentioned, this is what I probably should've purchased in the first place. It looks far better than my T-Mobile Comet.

4. JStep

JStep Lurker

I'm in Seattle. Love my VM Olympus V. No outages or problems of any kind. I think it's a great deal at $25 or $40 month, depending on which plan you select.

5. The $25 per month plan plus Android got me. I'm currently on Verizon with 6 months left on my contract, but I'm seriously considering terminating. I just bought a pre-owned Intercept and activated it last night. So far, I get piss poor service in my home (no surprise, I used to have VM and Helio back in the day), but I would take that if I'm paying a quarter of the price. We'll see though.

6. jm101

jm101 Well-Known Member

The reason I really want the Optimus V is because of the data and the fact that T-Mobile could be taken over by AT&T. With T-Mobile I pay around $10 whenever I need minutes. But, I figure I can have 300 Minutes and Unlimited Data for $25/month. Can't beat that. I have a feeling 3G is going to be bad in my area though. But, I am just looking to use it for E-mail and basic web browsing so speed is the least of my concern. I am planning to save up for the one from HSN.

7. harvickchick

harvickchick Android Enthusiast

Haven't had any service issues anywhere. Way worth the price!!!

8. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

hello! i am switching to VM after the Moto Triumph comes out. i have been with Boost for 5 years. i was going to get the Prevail; but this phone is just awesome enough to change my mind. i heard about the data issues VM is having (read their facebook page; its terrible...) but my friends who have VM say they dont have issues. the only time they have issues is when a top up goes wrong, but every carrier has their pros & cons =]

9. jp3515

jp3515 Member

Hi,
    So I bought 3 VM phones for me, wife and kid that I will activate on the 20th when my current contract is up. I got the Optimus V but I was wanting to know if anyone has an opinion on the Lg Rumor Touch for my kid or in general? I have read a lot of reviews and I know it's not Android and I know it's not as good as the V but I was just wanting to know of any good or bad experiences from you all on the Rumor touch. Thanks

10. jm101

jm101 Well-Known Member

I am thinking of still going with the Optimus V since it just went back down in price. I don't need HDMI or a front-facing camera like the the Triumph has. The Triumph still looks cool though.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

i saw that too; makes me wonder if the Triumph will be $200 or $250. but i have been waiting too long for a phone like this one on prepaid-thats why i have to get it!

12. jm101

jm101 Well-Known Member

I am making a wild guess of $250. I called VM today to confirm that I'd be able to port out from T-Mobile Prepaid. They said yes so I should be all set as far as porting's concerned. I thought my T-Mobile Comet with Android was the best prepaid phone I'd ever see on the market. Guess I was wrong.:)