1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Thinking of switching soon, few questions.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tmarr, Mar 22, 2011.

1. tmarr

tmarr Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Ok im on Verizon with the Droid Incredible. Amazing phone but my contracts almost up and im tired of paying out the ass. I thought about flashing it and using Cricket but thats still 45-55 a month and they throttle Androids at 1GB.

Im ok with going down a notch in phones down to the LG Optimus since most all I do is texting, internet, and calling. I dont play that many games so im ok with not having a 1Ghz processor.

Now, questions.

I see you can root the Optimus, how hard is it to do so? HTC phones are incredibly simple, just download a exe and run it. I've also rooted a Motorola Droid which is a bit harder, so im sure I can do it. But I was wondering about the steps to root this phone.

Also, does Skype work on this phone? The 300 minutes will be ok for calling mostly but at night I call my girlfriend (long distance relationship) so I will need more. Skype has that $3 a month thing for unlimited calling in the US. Will it work on Wifi on this phone for when im at home?

How is the camera? Ive heard some good things but does anyone have some good examples I can see! My phone is 8 megapixels so of course its not going to look as good blown up but for internet pic size (like Facebook) I'd love to see how it is.

99% of my time I just stay in Tucson (complete Sprint coverage) so im not worried about losing my Verizon coverage.

$25/month sounds like the most amazing thing in the world lol

Advertisement

2. Scyy

Scyy Member
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    To your first question, I am not sure. I haven't rooted mine yet either but there is a guide thread in this forum that should have all the directions.

For skype I am positive it will work on Wifi, not so sure about working on 3g. I know other companies have blocked skype on data but haven't heard about virgin mobile specifically.

The camera isn't great, it isn't terrible. It gets the job done but doesn't look as good when compared to one of the 8mp cameras that are on the high end smartphones.

The major issue as of now is many are having data issues. I personally haven't had that many issues with it aside from it can and will drop during busy hours 5-10pm and stay out for several minutes at a time and some aren't able to get any data even. This has happened with past virgin mobile phones when they were first released so I expect it will even out over the coming month, they claim to be upgrading and working on the network so that should fix it whenever that is fully completed.

All that being said for $25 dollars I really can't complain, I wasn't expecting the best service when I am paying in total less than a a contracts data plan alone. During busy times I get 400-1000kbps down on average and off hours I get up to 2600kbps down without any drops.

3. treven21

treven21 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    I agree with Scyy about your questions. I wanted to give you a heads up though about this phone/service.

I pay for the $40 pan which is 1200 anytime minutes. Since I have got the Optimus V I have minimal problems. Right now the biggest issue is the 3G dropping each and every day. I'm being tolerant right now because they are supposed to be upgrading the service. It is a major pain though. That said when the 3G is down it doesn't mess with the texting or phone calls (at least for me).

Another note is that VM customer service sucks because when you call. AND YOU WILL CALL THEM......you are greeted with a douchebag sounding automated dude. Once you finally get to a live rep......you can be assured it will be someone who doesn't speak English clearly. You will also risk the chance of being disconnected with them and will have to start the whole thing over.

For $25 or $40 bucks a month this is not a big deal. I'm just letting you know what you can expect if you make the jump.

4. tmarr

tmarr Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I've dealt with their customer service before, its about the same as Crickets (bad). I work for Cricket so thats why im all pumped to start paying way less but then realized VM would be like 75% cheaper haha. Good thing is I rarely ever call customer support for anything.

I wouldnt be switching for a couple months so the 3G problem should be fixed im guessing.

How is the keyboard? Is it the stock Froyo one? Im used to HTC keyboard and now Gingerbread keyboard. I hate the Froyo keyboard with a passion, so hopefully something else is available!

5. Scyy

Scyy Member
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    Ya, it's the stock one, Gingerbread should be coming to the optimus V in the coming months though.

Tags: