1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Thinking to make the switch

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by PSXBatou, Feb 6, 2011.

1. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Well-Known Member

I am actually thinking to switch to the HTC Inspire when it comes out in a couple weeks. I have the iPhone 4 now, but I really just would like to have a droid and see what its all about. The inner tech geek in me loves the specs on the Inspire, the screen is bigger, more memory, aluminum unibody, and its a new gadget.

The one thing I really like is how universal the droid app store is. There is a Japanese app on the JPN iTunes store, Apple sees to it that I cannot buy from any store that isn't in my region. However on Droid that same App is on the Droid marketplace, sure I have to pay for it in Yen, but its available. In this day in age I really don't see why anyone limits you to purchasing things from only your region. It is after all a global market.

I have 3 phones on my account so I figure I will just use one that is not under contract to get the phone, transfer my number to it, and give that user my iPhone 4. If I don't like it my contract is up in a year so I can just jump back to the iPhone 5 or whatever it will be in 2012.

I hear that I can carry my unlimited data over, I was a bit worried about that. Though if I want to use the hotspot feature I have to get the tethering plan which requires me to switch to a current data plan on the phone I heard.

I had a few questions for the Droid Guru's here, especially ones that may have switch from iOS to Droid.

- Is there unified messaging like on iOS? I have multiple pop accounts, its nice to have it all in one inbox rather than 4 separate ones.

- I assume I cannot use iTunes anymore to mange music, what is the Droid equivalent? Most my iTunes download are not protected, so I assume I can transfer them to the Droid?

- Is the interface more customizable than on the iPhone? That is the one thing that really bugged me with iOS, I can set a new ringtone but not a new tone for sms messages..

I look forward to seeing what Droid has to offer me. I have tried to get answers on a mac forum I frequent, but the answers hasn't netted me a whole lot of useful info.

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Welcome to Android Forums, PSXBatou. If by "messaging" you're referring to SMS, yes, you'll see SMS messages coming to the same place on your phone, the messaging app you're using, whether stock or Handcent, Chomp, etc. If you're referring to email, it's all about which email client you're using of course, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.

Double Twist Player is used by many Android device owners to enable iTunes.

Customizing Android phones via various launchers, such as Launcher Pro or ADW, is one of the joys of these things.

Good luck. Have fun. Look around the forums a bit more, there's a lot here to learn about. :)

PSXBatou likes this.
  3. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Well-Known Member

On the iPhone I can have say 3 POP mail accounts as well as my gmail account, instead of having to manage 4 in boxes it has a "all accounts" in box that all mail flows to regardless of which account it comes from. Makes it easier to manage since you don't have to go from one in box to another. Does the Droid mail client do this?

Thanks for the reply, I am looking forward to getting the HTC Inspire once AT&T releases it. I think it will be a fresh change from how locked down my iPhone is.