1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Third-party APK provider end??

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Kurt Pattinson, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Kurt Pattinson

I'm searching for APK files including APK Bundle and OBB, Variants. Lots of third-party websites provide APK file download for Android user. They are all well compassed with different version of app which is pretty useful for the slow-dated Android User like me for example.

I had used their service for pretty long time but i found out that Google also introduced "Dynamic Delivery" for users to optimize APK for each user's device configuration.

Seem like Google are trying to fill the gap, do you ever think this is an end for third-party websites??

Dustin Wilson likes this.
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by ocnbrze, Nov 23, 2019 (1 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

probably not. i never trust apk websites. i'm sure some are leggit, but........

MrJavi likes this.
  4. Kurt Pattinson

but ???/

5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

There are 2 potential problems with apk websites:

1) Theft. Do they have the developer's consent to distribute the app? Even if the developer doesn't charge for the app they still have copyright and the app should not be distributed without their agreement. And of course if someone is distributing paid apps without the developer's agreement, without collecting payment for the developer or with licensing hacked to bypass payment, that is simply theft.

2) Malware. How do you know that the apk hasn't been altered, and isn't now a trojan?

These 2 problems are often related: someone involved in one sort of illegal activity will often try to maximise their returns by indulging in the other.

Personally I believe Apkmirror.com is trustworthy, but would avoid almost all apk download sites. Appbrain used to be a trustworthy alternative app store but last time I looked it was more of a search site that referred you to the Play Store for actual installs. And there's always f-droid for FOSS apps.

MoodyBlues and ocnbrze like this.
  6. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

I almost never need APKs as I only use paid apps, and I create my own APKs for all apps I use. However, I believe that APKMirror.com is trustworthy. That belief is based primarily on opinions/knowledge from members here that I respect.

PitCarver, MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

but.......what @Hadron said:

8. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

F-Droid is great if you're primarily interested in FOSS apps Do have a look, there's some great stuff there..

puppykickr likes this.
  9. Kurt Pattinson

There are many APK provider sites, can you share with me about the reason why you picked APK Mirror to be the most trustworthy??

10. Hadron

VIP Member

APKmirror is run by the same people who run the AndroidPolice android news site, which means (a) we know who they are and (b) they have a reputation to protect. The manually vet uploads (unlike many sites who don't vet at all) and don't host any cracked apps.

ocnbrze, MoodyBlues and PitCarver like this.
  11. Dustin Wilson

Dustin Wilson Lurker

How could you know that APK files from this site "manually vet uploads"?

Kurt Pattinson likes this.
  12. Hadron

VIP Member

You have to take their word. But as noted their connection to a leading android news site means that they can't afford to be caught lying.

I suggest you only install stuff from the Play Store if you are this worried. Though you have to take their word about their tests, so perhaps better not to install apps at all.

ocnbrze and MoodyBlues like this.