• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Third party apps.

What are some of the best third party apps, that you've got on the V40?

One of my favorites is Smart Touch Pro. Had it on my last 2, mainly for the screenshot capability and the ability to lock the screen w/o usenu the physical button. Even though the V40 has the floating bar option, I installed it on mine.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blk.smarttouch.pro

Last edited:
Do you mean any 3rd party apps or do you mean 3rd party apps to replace features the phone came with.

Like trading Google Messages for the messaging app on the V40.

In that case I'm honestly still looking too I used a number of the LG base apps on my V20. I happen to like LG calendar over google calendar.

I do use Jet Audio instead of the LG Music app - but I also use Spotify too

Upvote 0
I was a bit puzzled that LG didn't include their email app.

I was pleasantly surprised. Manufacturer email clients tend to ... um ... what's the word I'm looking for? SUCK! ;) Personally I like the integrated email in the gmail app, but I can keep the inboxes separate as well. I have 5 email accounts that I use regularly and a bunch more for development and testing. It always bugs me when I have to open 4 email clients to find the account i wanted.

Upvote 0
Do you mean any 3rd party apps or do you mean 3rd party apps to replace features the phone came with.

Like trading Google Messages for the messaging app on the V40.

In that case I'm honestly still looking too I used a number of the LG base apps on my V20. I happen to like LG calendar over google calendar.

I do use Jet Audio instead of the LG Music app - but I also use Spotify too

I love the LG Calendar.

I am using Android/Google Messages due to the web messaging feature only. Hopefully T-Mobile gets the RCS available for Google Messages. I like using the LG messaging app for the RCS.

3rd party apps:

MX Player Pro - LG Video
PowerAmp - LG Music
Google Photos - Gallery
Chrooma - LG Keyboard

That's off the top of my head. Maybe more but can't recall right now

Upvote 0
video - VLC player. ALL DAY e're day. Plays nearly everything no fuss no muss.

JetAudio I got over PowerAmp years ago. I don't know if power amp has changed alot but I like the functionality of Jet Audio and their depth of equalizer and processing - if you need it. big iff - but it can with care - make older mp3's sound cleaner. Now that I use mostly FLAC and higher bitrate or DSD files - most players that process them at bitrate - sound the same. I think Jet audio did it first though. Biggest reason I liked their player - it's made by Cowon that used to make media players (might still do) that features high quality DAC's/amps and were made for top quality sound throughput.

Upvote 0
video - VLC player. ALL DAY e're day. Plays nearly everything no fuss no muss.

JetAudio I got over PowerAmp years ago. I don't know if power amp has changed alot but I like the functionality of Jet Audio and their depth of equalizer and processing - if you need it. big iff - but it can with care - make older mp3's sound cleaner. Now that I use mostly FLAC and higher bitrate or DSD files - most players that process them at bitrate - sound the same. I think Jet audio did it first though. Biggest reason I liked their player - it's made by Cowon that used to make media players (might still do) that features high quality DAC's/amps and were made for top quality sound throughput.

Honestly, I got PowerAmp on one of those 99 cent sales on Google Play and I had some leftover reward money so I snatched it up.
I use Spotify more than any music on my phone/sd card.
But, I'll keep Jet on my wishlist. Thanks for the tip

Upvote 0
Ok, here's my list:
Most important to me is support. If the app isn't supported adequately, I won't use it. (I have made exceptions)
1. I agree with VLC to play videos.
2. I use Pimlical for my calendar. It is as simple or complex as you want. There are versions for Android, Windows AND IOS. Support is fantastic.
3. "Next SMS" for texting. Lots of great features. Good support and always improving.
4. I use to swear by Maildroid Pro for email. The closest app to a Windows client that I found. Unfortunately, support has become nonexistent, so I'm looking for a replacement after 6 years.
5. AZ Screen Recorder: this does what it says. It records videos with or without sound showing finger taps if you want. It's great for demonstrating apps and I use it when beta testing. It's easy to show glitches that stills cannot.
6. Just for kicks, there is Bitmoji. It is for sending texts or emails with a punch and an emoji of you. bitmoji-20190228012950.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Was thinking, last night, about what, and why, I've added certain apps to my phone. My old S5 was the first one I added a third party dialer app to, (RocketDial). It's been removed from the Play store, so I found ExDialer. Now it too has been removed, however the "Pro Key" still remains.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.modoohut.dialer.donate

I do so like dark themes, as well as the frames around the buttons so I opted for the Black Dialer Theme, from Stylish Keyboards.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.modoohut.dialer.theme.black

Unfortunately, their January update messed up the visible text in my contacts (black on black is hard on my eyes) so I had to download the older version, from the web.

Was more time consuming, but in the end it worked out for me.

Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
I've gone app crazy since I started with Android. I've added close to 200 apps including games for my grandson. I have weather apps, wifi apps, security apps, music, TV & movies, banking, the list goes on. I use most of them at least monthly. My daily use apps are are the important ones. I replaced a simple volume app that I used for years with a new one that does the same. I've used Note Everything Pro for years and like Pitcarver's apps it hasn't been updated for years. So far it still works. It's the only note app I've found that can add time & date stamps anywhere within the app. Maildroid Pro is my other real problem. Most of it still works but the problems keep increasing. Support is iffy at best, but again it's the only email app that can filter email into separate folders with different notifications for each sender. AFAIK, no other app can do that. My texting app Handcent Next SMS and is still supported. Finally, my keyboard app is irreplaceable too, and still supported. It's called Smart Keyboard Pro. It has custom macros and dictionary among other things and makes sending emails a breeze.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones