• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This command is not allowed in UserBuild

Change the IMEI number.

That's pretty much impossible these day. Because the IMEI, MEID, ESN, etc. are usually permanently burned into the phone's chip-set when they're made, which is done to try and prevent cloning. Also depending on where you are, what country you're in, it might be a criminal offence to change or clone an IMEI, MEID, etc, e.g. the Mobile Telephones (Re-programming) Act 2002 in the UK.

Have you got a phone that's been IMEI blacklisted by the carriers or something?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are non criminal reasons for doing so.

If there are, I can't think of any. :)

So are you telling me modern phones cannot be changed? I've never seen anything like this online, and there are many apps claiming to be able to change it, even on Google Play!

You got a VKworld device? That's Mediatek MTK chip-set. The IMEI is permanently burned on those, same for Qualcomm Snapdragon, Samsung Exynos, etc. As for apps claiming, they're very likely just snake-oil, and their main purpose is to install adware and spyware probably. Maybe you could post an example of one?

Sometimes users have IMEI, MEID problems, when they've flashed an incorrect firmware ROM for their device, and that's made the IMEI, MEID, invalid, or blank.

Upvote 0
How about someone found out your IMEI and you think they're going to track you and steal the phone or worse? How about you just don't want tracked all the time by Google etc? My phone, I can do anything I like to it.

All the apps I looked at seemed to have people claiming it worked. Or just the instructions to do it in the engineering mode without an app.

I guess I'd have to flash to change mine then.

Upvote 0
How about someone found out your IMEI and you think they're going to track you and steal the phone or worse? How about you just don't want tracked all the time by Google etc? My phone, I can do anything I like to it.

If one is really serious about not been tracked, maybe use burner phones, and stay away from Google, Facebook etc.

All the apps I looked at seemed to have people claiming it worked. Or just the instructions to do it in the engineering mode without an app.

I guess I'd have to flash to change mine then.

I doubt very much if it could be flashed either. Because the IMEI, MEID, etc. is stored in OTP(one-time programmable) ROM in the chip-set. One-time, meaning once it's written to, it's permanent, and can't be written to again. Really the only way to change that, would be to physically remove and replace a chip on the device's logic-board.

If you want the technical details, look at some of the relevant patents for this tech, e.g. https://patents.google.com/patent/EP3664490A1/en

"The invention provides a chipset for a terminal (ME), the chipset comprising at least one secure processor (SP), into which a one-time programmable memory (OTP area) is integrated, with at least one terminal serial number (IMEI) of the terminal (ME ) is stored, with information for securing the terminal serial number (IMEI) against manipulation being stored in the one-time programmable memory (OTP area)."

BTW in the mid '90s I had an OKI ETACS analog phone. To change the ESN on that involved de-soldering the OTP ROM chip from the board. Obtaining a new blank OTP ROM chip, programming it with the desired ESN using a programmer and computer, and then soldering it in the board. So the business of making it difficult(preferably impossible) to change or clone an ESN, IMEI, MEID is not a recent thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones