• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help This could change my mind.

kwilkins

Nov 10, 2010
I'm trying to decide if I should return my MT4G and stick with my BB Torch. I love many things about the MT4G but the battery life is so much worse than the Torch, and that's a problem for me. I have read up on battery saving techniques and I am using some of them.

If there were an extended battery that could sway my decision. Does anyone know if there will be an extended battery for the MT4G, and if there is how much longer would it likely power the phone for?

That's the deal with every "smartphone". I don't consider any blackberry a smartphone. I say go back to the blackberry if you can't handle it. Everyone will come in here giving you suggestions, but in the end, it's a smartphone and the battery will die fast. I don't have a problem at all with the battery compared to my old smartphones.

If you want all the extra features that android have, you have to sacrifice your battery and I think its well worth it.

Upvote 0
That's the deal with every "smartphone". I don't consider any blackberry a smartphone. I say go back to the blackberry if you can't handle it. Everyone will come in here giving you suggestions, but in the end, it's a smartphone and the battery will die fast. I don't have a problem at all with the battery compared to my old smartphones.

If you want all the extra features that android have, you have to sacrifice your battery and I think its well worth it.

I understand why Blackberrys get better battery life. I wanted to know if it was likly there would be an extended battery and what kind of gains are realizef from extended batteries.

Upvote 0
Oh, ok Kwilkins. Your title makes it seems like thats the reason you might send it back.

@Pantlesspenguin yes it was the first smartphones, but compared to the devices these days I feel they seem very "dumb". Everyone I know with a blackberry uses it for texting/calling and that' it. When they need to find something out, use the internet, navigate, ect. they just go to the computer instead of using their phone.

Not being technical and not labeling it as a smartphone, thats why I said "I don't consider any blackberry a smartphone" it's just my opinion.

Upvote 0

For me, coming off an iPhone, I think battery life is not good. I'm getting about 24hrs with minimal use. I could only imagine if I actually talked on the phone a lot, or surfed the web often. I like the features of the phone, but the battery life is a drawback.

Upvote 0
@Pantlesspenguin yes it was the first smartphones, but compared to the devices these days I feel they seem very "dumb". Everyone I know with a blackberry uses it for texting/calling and that' it. When they need to find something out, use the internet, navigate, ect. they just go to the computer instead of using their phone.

Not being technical and not labeling it as a smartphone, thats why I said "I don't consider any blackberry a smartphone" it's just my opinion.

Ah, but see, it's your friends who just aren't using their Blackberries to their full potential, not that the phones themselves are dumbphones. Granted, only the Bold line can really compete these days, but they're still decent lil devices.

Battery life was amazing on them because the processors aren't as powerful as the processors on Android, & it doesn't require a lot of battery power to light the tiny screen. Plus, you can't run widgets & the cool app selection is dreadfully lacking.

Androids are powerful & robust devices. If widgets & apps that auto update are important to you, then unfortunately you have to sacrifice battery life. Again, I recommend that SuperPower app, as well as all the other lil tips & tricks for extending battery life.

Upvote 0
I dont see this phone having an extended battery for two reasons.
1. The charge port is on the side so an external extended battery would be very awkward so very unlikely.
2. Look at the battery cover, it's flush with the battery and doesn't cover the entire phone so there's no real room for an internal extended battery.
Your best bet may to get an extra battery and a battery charger for that extra. Other than that I'm not too sure what to tell you.
I rarely have issues with my battery life (heavy texter, data user, email, facebook, games, music, etc.). I get about 16 hours with heavy usage and I see no problem with that. If you're looking for a phone that doesn't need to be charged every day then Android may not be for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones