1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

This forum is DEAD

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dhabell, Dec 18, 2012.

1. dhabell

dhabell Well-Known Member

Seems like there are only like 4 or 5 regular contributors to this thread with a few random users chiming in with questions every now and then.

Is there a more active forum somewhere else besides XDA?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

We are all addicted to Angry Birds and can't stop playing long enough to post. :p LOL

NightAngel79 likes this.
  3. systemofadown

systemofadown Android Enthusiast

Epic 4G Touch, on boost .. This is where its at :smokingsomb: couple Sprint forums... I like the guys here - Very informative (I understand where your coming from/ I don't have a lot to offer tech wise ;) )

4. alpha2k

alpha2k Android Expert

Sadly if boost does what their planning, I may be going back to sprint. This
    2.5Gb limit then throttle to 256k, has got me bugged majorly.

The only reason I stay with boost is because of the payments, but if it's gonna limit, it is NO better than cricket is honestly.

Wondering if Virgin is going to do the same thing, has me looking for sure.

So I to may be leaving, but I honestly don't have a choice, I prefer data over payments.

5. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

I am lucky as that I use WiFI mainly.

6. dhabell

sprint already does this. so do all the other carriers.

7. mholloway

mholloway Android Expert

I know with the zte warp for boost they figured out how to disable the throttle, deleting the throttle files or something.

8. dhabell

You dont happen to know the name and location of the file do you? I'd like to try it on the BSGSII....
    -
    edit...I figured it out, maybe. I made a guide and posted it.

9. dhabell

there is also a reverse tether app

10. alpha2k

alpha2k Android Expert

No. There are only 2 companies that don't throttle now. One I can attest to because I did a 2 month extensive test when I had Sprint. I had 3.6Gb of data and still had the same speeds each month. The other is tmobile, but I cannot attest for them as I haven't been on tmobile. Sprint I know for a fact does not throttle though. That's the "only" reason I stayed with them for so long, 12 plus years. I know they haven't always had full speed, they did throttle at one point, but they changed that and have been full ever since. Tmobile just recently changed theirs.

11. dhabell

looks like you might be right. here is an article from september. but it should be noted that over on XDA, there is a conspiracy theory that Sprint does in fact throttle.

12. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

Yeah that is for their post paid accounts (actual sprint customers).

13. alpha2k

alpha2k Android Expert

Yeah. They ARE throttling for the upper 1% users, but that's those that are probably abusing the "unlimited" privilege anyways. If you can't respect the "privilege of having nice things, then you get them taken away, and rightly so. But overall most or a majority will not feel the throttle, simply because they respect the rules. On avg a person won't use more than 5Gb, but I can say for a fact that 2.5 quite a bit WILL use.
    Had they decided to limit it to 5, or even 4 I'd not have an issue with it at all. Cricket I was told, has 5Gb limit, so we are lowering ourselves to even lower than cricket? something wrong with that picture.

14. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

I agree 2.5 gig is very little, and even 5 gig is not that much time when you are at 4g speeds of 6Mbps plus you are talking about a little over an hour for 3 gig of data at that speed.

I would think that the cellular companies could move to an all data connection and move voice calls to voip and use the extra channels for data that are for cellular voice now. Even non smart phones these days are firmware driven.

Codegerm

15. NoBrikz

NoBrikz Newbie

I think part of the problem is that most experienced users are just using the Epic 4G Touch Forums since most of what they need is easier to find over there.

I just wrote this in another thread but thinking it just may help pump life into this part of town.

I the Epic Touch 4G and SGS2 can share Roms and Rooting Methods would it be possible to maybe make a few changes on the Epic Touch 4G All things Root Sticky so it can be used on this forum and maybe that way more people will read and come to the SGS2 boost forum and perhaps that will help pump life to this forum ?

EarlyMon and LilBit like this.
  16. b_randon14

b_randon14 Android Expert

Virgin has been throttling since last year!

17. LilBit

LilBit Extreme Android User

I sent this post to the mods, maybe someone can make some changes to a sticky for you guy's. :D;)

EarlyMon and dhabell like this.
  18. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

I changed that one part in red so that reads "if" - not trying to grammar Nazi you or anything, but we want to be mega-clear on the idea, so please let me know if I got that wrong.

So - a few simple questions (for you, we work lots of forums and get confused lol) -

1. Is it true that the rooting methods and roms in the E4GT forum work, 100% safely, no question, for the Boost SGS2?

2. So, the request then would be to clone or mostly clone the root sticky guide there to here?

Are we reading you correctly?

Cheers, thanks! :)

LilBit likes this.
  19. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

The Samsung Galaxy SII for Boost is the same phone as Sprint's Epic 4G Touch. Both are SPH-D710 (the Boost one just has BST added to the number the number to identify it as Boost, and it happily goes away when you change ROMS). Sprint relabeled the E4GT to the SGS2. The Root method in our how to root guide will work for the E4GT (just choose the kernel that matches your ROM if on gingerbread and not ICS) ROMS for the E4GT work on this phone too. (I'm on FK23 Jelly Bean). The one thing we have to do is change our MMSC settings in the ##DATA# menu on the Touch Wiz ROMS to reflect the MMS server for Boost, and use the mmsfix for ROMS that don't have the hidden menu.

Codegerm

LilBit, Thats and EarlyMon like this.
  20. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Ok, so that answers my first question - it's safe, but you just have to change a few things, yeah?

So - is our second understanding correct - you cats need the root guide and rom list here basically cloned from the E4GT one - with appropriate corrections such as what you've outlined??

If yes, would you be so kind to work with staff (that I'll go muster up) to make sure we have the right magic beans in our guide? :)

21. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

The rom list would be nice with the additions of the Jelly Bean ones out. The root guide that made a sticky provided by guyphs works well and even works on the latest release of FI22, and will works on sprint's side of FI27 also.

Our phones come stock with ICS, but if there are gingerbread fans out there I am quite sure that our phones would run them too (but why would you want to). Yeah a guide with links to all the magic beans will be nice. Time to start gathering them. :)

Codegerm

mholloway and EarlyMon like this.
  22. FLAWLESSVW

FLAWLESSVW Well-Known Member

I love that this thread has developed into the topic that's bugging me the most lately with the throttle news. I'm like a mad man, setting up profiles with my Llama app (phenomenal app, you should check it out) to switch off my data connection and turn on wifi wherever possible, etc.

I was in my glory until that text came out; streaming music & running Nav apps simultaneously. Now I'm obsessively checking my data usage, downloading music to the device rather than streaming on Google Music, etc. Sigh. My dreams were shattered lol. But I'm glad to see a lot of active threads about possible ways around it and will be staying tuned!

And to the OP... I agree and go through phases where I'll hop on this forum for days in a row and it's just crickets and tumbleweed. I think it's a great group here as well - I much prefer the friendly demeanor here as opposed to other forums. I do participate on some xda threads but people are more "personable" here.

I'm guilty of not posting/replying as much as I'd like on this forum...

I am having brain surgery on January 2nd (seriously), so I've been a bit preoccupied with all of that! But I'm sure during my recovery I'll have PLENTY of time to read and post. So if you guys are going to post, be sure to do it around then so I have something to keep me occupied during recovery!!! :)

Thumbs up for our community here!

Granite1 and EarlyMon like this.
  23. LilBit

That EarlyMon is a great Mod huh?

EarlyMon likes this.
  24. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

LoL now what did I do? :p :D

I was just waiting until tomorrow to ask staff on the sticky, but LilBit, if you would like to take the lead with staff on that, ok by me. :) Drop me a line, let me know. :)

25. LilBit

I mean you really are a great Mod Silly!! :D
    I cant write up a sticky properly:eek: You can!!
    I reported the thread so you could do it for them!!

EarlyMon likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews